Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 24-25 Palm Killer (Snow Event)

hardypalmguy

41 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Imagine the top shelf weather along the gulf.  Huge upgrade to the Lake Michigan beach.

Only downside is periodically losing everything to a 130kt+ hurricane, and your insurance refuses to pay out because the industry would collapse if they did.

Although Tampa seems pretty safe...Ian was always either gonna take the path it did or meander in the northern Gulf and limp into the Big Bend as a sheared barely-hurricane, so because the Tampa area lay between those extremes it was center of the cone for a while.

Just now, CheeselandSkies said:

Only downside is periodically losing everything to a 130kt+ hurricane, and your insurance refuses to pay out because the industry would collapse if they did.

Although Tampa seems pretty safe...Ian was always either gonna take the path it did or meander in the northern Gulf and limp into the Big Bend as a sheared barely-hurricane, so because the Tampa area lay between those extremes it was center of the cone for a while.

Hard to get a cane into Tampa proper.  The condo that I go to in the winter on the gulf has been standing since the 70s without a hit.

• Like 1

florida is objectively bad in almost every way but the gulf side is def the worst, total snoozer and just filled to the brim with the worst combination of old folks and rednecks

at least in miami u fell like you're in the tropics not the south and there's action and waves 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, A-L-E-K said:

florida is objectively bad in almost every way but the gulf side is def the worst, total snoozer and just filled to the brim with the worst combination of old folks and rednecks

at least in miami u fell like you're in the tropics not the south and there's action and waves 

Coconut palms grow as far north as Clearwater.  They are all over Madeira Beach and Treasure Island.  Looks and feels tropical to me there.  Plus the white sand is top shelf.

4 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Agreed on Florida. The absolute worst.

30A on the panhandle just east of Destin has the most beautiful beaches I've been to in the States. Absolutely gorgeous--getting there is no picnic but once you get thru the ride in it's amazing. Rode out a tropical storm in a beach house in Seagrove Beach a few years back--when the storm passed we had miles of beach all to ourselves. 

21 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Siesta key is great when it’s you and your spouse. A sleepy ish beach town without all the sleezeballs

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

this may be your worst take ever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Heading to Clearwater tomorrow. Will post pics. Based on reviews may head to Siesta Key

I was down that way (SPB) this past weekend.

8 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

I’m headed that way with the fiancé and the kids in the second half of may let me know how it is! Red tide seems to be subsiding a tad also

Red tide wasn't an issue this past weekend, at least. Sounds like main effects have been further south along the coast.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Baum said:

who knew a snowstorm thread started by Hardy Palm Guy would end up discussing areas where palm trees thrive and not the storm? Talk about irony.

it's a change of pace from the usual spiral into historic michigan snow chat like every other thread.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

I need to move to Tampa.

Tampa is the best part of Florida.

You still get a reasonable amount of big city amenities, it's not overrun with tourists like Orlando & Miami, it's not as "Rustic" as North Florida, and it's not full of rude NY retirees like Broward / Palm Beach Counties.

• Like 3