• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather 3-23-23 through 3-26-23

cheese007

Looking over this for the past few days, Friday could be a very nasty day basically from the Sabine Valley across the Lower MS Valley towards the Tennessee Valley. The 500 mb setup on the GFS/Euro/etc. favors a significant severe event, and a few of the models are starting to catch on to greater destabilization than indicated earlier, and some of this could be nocturnal. 30% hatched on the D3 currently and I think there's a good chance we see at least a moderate risk by D2/D1.

• Like 3

Friday looks potentially potent. Tomorrow looks like a sloppy mess with nearly front-parallel shear, cold front undercutting storms and relatively weak low level wind fields. I may be dragged out to chase since it’s local, but OKC should stay out of the main threat, as the target area trends farther south.

• Like 1

Here is the NAM forecast sounding for eastern Arkansas for 03z (tomorrow night), with effective STP of 4.3. Some odd things going on in the hodograph at 3km above ground, but I'm not sure too much to talk about, given the fact that the rest of the hodograph is excellent for tornadoes. The 3km NAM (not shown here) has up to 490 m2/s2 of 3km SRH at the Arkansas/Louisiana border.

nam_2023032312_039_33.66--91.18.png

HRRR for 03z tomorrow night

1315783754_refcmp_uh001h.us_sc(1).thumb.png.f60fea6880e62583c5994e8934b1293d.png

Take it FWIW, but the system that will cause these events crashed into California yesterday and Monday….and in my 15 years living in Los Angeles it was the strongest system I’ve experienced.  Some highlights:

- 102 mph wind gust in Valencia, CA

- confirmed tornado in Montebello, CA (strongest observed in the Los Angeles area since 1983).  Rating still TBD but will likely be assigned an EF-0 or EF-1 based on damage produced 

- several 60-90 mph wind gusts in San Francisco due to a bomb cyclone that developed at the center of the low pressure system 

I got my eyes on this one

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Normandy said:

Take it FWIW, but the system that will cause these events crashed into California yesterday and Monday….and in my 15 years living in Los Angeles it was the strongest system I’ve experienced.  Some highlights:

- 102 mph wind gust in Valencia, CA

- confirmed tornado in Montebello, CA (strongest observed in the Los Angeles area since 1983).  Rating still TBD but will likely be assigned an EF-0 or EF-1 based on damage produced 

- several 60-90 mph wind gusts in San Francisco due to a bomb cyclone that developed at the center of the low pressure system 

I got my eyes on this one

How rare is it for LA/Cali to get tornadoes? 

Edit: Neverminded.  Just noticed the mention of 1983.   

That's pretty rare

10z hrrr not as impressive from a reflectivity standpoint compared to earlier runs. It does develop discrete activity ahead of the line but it seems to really struggle to take off. Run to run differences at this point aren't shocking with models trying to figure out morning convection. 

• Like 1

• cheese007 changed the title to Severe Weather 3-23-23 through 3-26-23