Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2023 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

12 hours ago, luckyweather said:

e6e034543698dfd1a4227565868c0ebf.jpg
gonna head up to Madison to Tyrol’s June Jam tomorrow. Pic from last year, they said they have significantly more snow this year. At least an acre of coverage. I’m not sure how they keep it at Tyrol but usually hay and/or sawdust will do the trick.

Trollhaugen in Dresser WI saves a pile of snow under straw and tarps all summer for an early October event each year. I’m always surprised they are able to save anything. 

This easily ties 2012 for the dullest May/early June stretch of my adult life. Haven't been on a chase since May 7, Keota already feels like it was ages ago. If I'd known how quickly the season was going to die I might have tried harder on April 4. You just don't expect it to be over that early at this latitude. Heck, we still had piles of snow in Madison then.

29 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

This easily ties 2012 for the dullest May/early June stretch of my adult life. Haven't been on a chase since May 7, Keota already feels like it was ages ago. If I'd known how quickly the season was going to die I might have tried harder on April 4. You just don't expect it to be over that early at this latitude. Heck, we still had piles of snow in Madison then.

The May 7th event was probably what's kept me from being too down about this awful stretch of nothingness the past few weeks.  That event gave us over 8hrs of continuous thunder with several nice downpours.  However, missing the March 31st event (out of town) will haunt me for years lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The May 7th event was probably what's kept me from being too down about this awful stretch of nothingness the past few weeks.  That event gave us over 8hrs of continuous thunder with several nice downpours.  However, missing the March 31st event (out of town) will haunt me for years lol

If it wasn't for the March 31st event my family might put me on :cliff: watch!!!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Powerball said:

It's been a while since you all have had a legit drought, so you're finally.paying your dues.

I had a drought all of last spring started Nov 2021) until this March (2023).  1/4 of my lawn died/never recovered.  I only mowed 4 times all last year. 

6 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I'm referring to a widespread severe/long-term drought akin to 1988, 2012, etc.

Guess the drought monitoring groups don't know what they are doing.  They had a L = Long term right over Livingston county into much of the thumb for several months and finally removed it mid-April.   1988 was only a couple months of drought for this area by July normal or even above precipitation fell.  While it was a hot spring in early summer I remember the worst of the drought being out west with all the Yellowstone fires.

30 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Guess the drought monitoring groups don't know what they are doing.  They had a L = Long term right over Livingston county into much of the thumb for several months and finally removed it mid-April.   1988 was only a couple months of drought for this area by July normal or even above precipitation fell.  While it was a hot spring in early summer I remember the worst of the drought being out west with all the Yellowstone fires.

1988 and 2012 were definitely both on another level in terms of coverage, duration and impact for the Midwest as a whole...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988–1990_North_American_drought

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–2013_North_American_drought

6 minutes ago, Powerball said:

1988 and 2012 were definitely both on another level in terms of coverage, duration and impact for the Midwest as a whole...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988–1990_North_American_drought

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–2013_North_American_drought

Wow articles about events I have lived through. Yep I know these details quite well.  Still does change the there was a severe drought in my area as stated in my  above posts.

10 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Wow articles about events I have lived through. Yep I know these details quite well.  Still does change the there was a severe drought in my area as stated in my  above posts.

Your experience in YBY is good and all, but to be clear, I was referring to a damaging drought affecting the Midwest as a whole causing tens of billions in damage, a ton of wildfires and causing extreme water restrictions, not an extended dry spell in a localized area for a few months with brown grass.

• Weenie 1

Just now, Powerball said:

Your experience in YBY is good and all, but I was referring to a damaging drought affecting the Midwest as a whole causing tens of billions in damage, a ton of wildfires and causing extreme water restrictions, just an extended dry spell for a few months with brown grass.

Wasn't just dry grass as there were many farmers around here that were impacted. 

The extreme heat hasn’t happened yet, but its already off to a much dryer start than 2012.  April/May 2012 were normal, and June/July were hot but hit/miss storms were around many days despite not everyone seeing a lot of rain.  

This is looking more and more like 1988.  1988 was a front-loaded drought starting in may.  There was even the persistent New England cutoff much of June until the heat suddenly expanded east in July.  If there is no major pattern change by the middle of June we are in 1988 territory precip-wise. 

• Like 1

The extreme heat hasn’t happened yet, but its already off to a much dryer start than 2012.  April/May 2012 were normal, and June/July were hot but hit/miss storms were around many days despite not everyone seeing a lot of rain.  
This is looking more and more like 1988.  1988 was a front-loaded drought starting in may.  There was even the persistent New England cutoff much of June until the heat suddenly expanded east in July.  If there is no major pattern change by the middle of June we are in 1988 territory precip-wise. 
Interestingly, Wisconsin's previous record for single daily tornado count prior to August 18, 2005 was set on May 8, 1988. Must have been literally the only severe weather event of the spring. Given the other similarities, surprising it came when it did instead of very early in the season like 3/31.

May have been different in YBY, but in 2012 I recall an exceptionally warm (the infamous "Morch") and dry (exacerbated by the lack of a snowpack to melt off from the previous winter) spring, just continuing through the summer.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Interestingly, Wisconsin's previous record for single daily tornado count prior to August 18, 2005 was set on May 8, 1988. Must have been literally the only severe weather event of the spring. Given the other similarities, surprising it came when it did instead of very early in the season like 3/31.

May have been different in YBY, but in 2012 I recall an exceptionally warm (the infamous "Morch") and dry (exacerbated by the lack of a snowpack to melt off from the previous winter) spring, just continuing through the summer.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I remember April 2012 being a bit cooler and wetter after the Morch.  May was very warm, but with hit-miss rains around.  Even June had chances of storms, they were just spotty and didn’t keep up with the evap rates when it started getting hot.  July got very dry due to being very hot with high evaporation and only spotty rains.  It wasn’t constant blocking and dry back-door fronts like this year.

hardypalmguy, can you attempt to identify this palm for me?

8G3A7930.thumb.JPG.b9cf40cc179151e7eeaeed748f7daae0.JPG

This is a single voluntary palm on my property. I did not plant the thing. It showed up late last year. I assume from a bird or squirrel or some other mode of transport. It looked pretty sad during the cool damp early spring but now that it has gotten quite dry it is looking quite healthy while everything else wilts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bowtie` said:

hardypalmguy, can you attempt to identify this palm for me?

8G3A7930.thumb.JPG.b9cf40cc179151e7eeaeed748f7daae0.JPG

This is a single voluntary palm on my property. I did not plant the thing. It showed up late last year. I assume from a bird or squirrel or some other mode of transport. It looked pretty sad during the cool damp early spring but now that it has gotten quite dry it is looking quite healthy while everything else wilts.

That looks like a yucca filamentosa.

14 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

I think I speak for all of us and say fuck that. Mind as well be by the Persian Gulf

I wouldn't mind if Thunderstorm were on tap with the heat!!  Just unrelenting blistering heat, then I agree, no thanks.

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

I wouldn't mind if Thunderstorm were on tap with the heat!!  Just unrelenting blistering heat, then I agree, no thanks.

Be careful what you wish for. Parts of DFW have had multiple rounds of monster-sized hail (2-3"+ in diameter) the past several days.

• Like 1