Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring 2023 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

9 hours ago, Harry said:

You all can have the high wind and severe hail that's been had here the past decade or so.. 

As for the lack of for the rest of the state I think part of it seems like terrible timing with frontal passage etc. Always seems to arrive at night and or early in the day. 

Amazes me how it can be like night and day between the SW corner of this state ( south of i96 and west of i69 ) and the rest of it. 

Entire second half of April and first half of May without a single rumble of thunder sucks though.  I'm not pining for severe, but general thunder used to be a thing in the spring here.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Lightning said:

...Michigan has plenty of corn fields and foliage so the difference there is negligible...

Statistically, that's incorrect.

1. Michigan is only responsible for 2% of the country's corn production, versus double digit numbers in IL / MN / NE / IA respectfully (and 7% in IN). And just about all of this 2% is concentrated in an extremely small portion of MI (Saginaw Valley and along the immediate MI/OH/IN border)

2. While a large oak tree for example can transpire maybe 40,000 gallons of water per year (which true, Michigan has plenty of), corn can transpire 4,000 gallons of water *PER DAY*.

So the difference is a lot greater than "negligible."

I get the frustration about the lack of severe weather or even t'storm activity in Michigan. But it has far less to do with synoptic patterns than you guys want to attribute. It's a combination of bad luck, the influence of vegetations/bodies of waters and also remembering the past in a much better light than what really happened.

• Weenie 1

17 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Isn't it like 3 months early for these smoky skies?

At least we know it has nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with arson. We just had one of the wettest seasons on record and just like that.... FIRE CITY!

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

At least we know it has nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with arson. We just had one of the wettest seasons on record and just like that.... FIRE CITY!

Err these fires are from Alberta and not California. Alberta decidedly did not have an incredibly wet winter. And yes, it is involved with climate change because this ridge pattern that is giving Alberta such bad fire conditions is almost an exact carbon copy of the June 2021 heatwave that oh you know led to the very natural 110 degrees in the Olympic Rainforest. A pattern that almost assuredly couldn't have happened without climate change. And this super unprecedented pattern happened again all of not even 2 years later...  Which has led to consistent 80s to 90s and very low humidity and wind which are like the best pattern for fire spread from literally any ignition source.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Geoboy645 said:

Err these fires are from Alberta and not California. Alberta decidedly did not have an incredibly wet winter. And yes, it is involved with climate change because this ridge pattern that is giving Alberta such bad fire conditions is almost an exact carbon copy of the June 2021 heatwave that oh you know led to the very natural 110 degrees in the Olympic Rainforest. A pattern that almost assuredly couldn't have happened without climate change. And this super unprecedented pattern happened again all of not even 2 years later...  Which has led to consistent 80s to 90s and very low humidity and wind which are like the best pattern for fire spread from literally any ignition source.

I read "ca" and thought that was California, kind of a weird abbreviation when California is synonymous with forest fires.