Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2023 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

8 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

I worked last summer north and along m59 area by Howell and was nothing but swamps I had to walk thru. But I loved how quiet it was

I love how quiet it can be around here.  Even better would be Bo's location :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 11:15 AM, Lightning said:

I would say to stay away from dirt roads because of the mud (I live on a dirt road) but it is not like the paved roads are always better.  Some of the paved roads have potholes 365 days a year and take them years to schedule/do replacement.  At least they grade the dirt roads frequent enough that a good 80%+ of the year they are in great shape. 

If you pave a road, maintenance becomes more important.  Everyone automatically starts driving faster and potholes in pavement are like 10 times more likely to cause sudden tire blowout.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

I guess personally I would rather have debris clouds than a stacked upper level low sitting for a week. :arrowhead:

Although with stacked upper lows you will get rounds of showers and storms. But honestly I want some good nocturnal training events!!  Looks like it might be awhile :(

Illinois had all the fun. You know, the Midwest should really share. All I've ever seen since March is non-thunder. Non-thunder. Cold rain and non-thunder. I heard some thunder at 4:00 AM on 5/7. That's it. I was asleep.

230507_rpts.png

illinois had all the fun2.jpg

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, Chinook said:

Illinois had all the fun. You know, the Midwest should really share. All I've ever seen since March is non-thunder. Non-thunder. Cold rain and non-thunder. I heard some thunder at 4:00 AM on 5/7. That's it. I was asleep.

Unfortunately this is pretty typical for this area.  Occasionally we get going in May but more times than not I have found that T-storm season for our area is around/after Memorial Day weekend.  Kind of like snows in October into early November.  Yes it happens but don't count on it :lol:.  I consider any good t-storm activity IMBY prior to Memorial Day as bonus activity.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, A-L-E-K said:

lol dirt roads 

little house on the prairie shit 

It's the oddest thing about Michigan. You have legitimately nice neighborhoods in SE Michigan connected by gravel roads. Ohio in very rural places can have extremely narrow roads, but they're always paved

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

It's the oddest thing about Michigan. You have legitimately nice neighborhoods in SE Michigan connected by gravel roads. Ohio in very rural places can have extremely narrow roads, but they're always paved

Yeah it is a bit odd. Only main roads in rural areas are paved everything else is all dirt. The County just redid the dirt roads out by where I’m working. 

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

There are a lot of dirt roads in Ohio.  Where I grew up in SE Ohio there are more dirt than paved.

4 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I noticed that Ohio & Indiana use a asphalt/gravel road composition for some rural roads. This road type you just don't see used in Michigan. We seem to be left with dirt.

This is a typical Ohio rural road situation. You can see where the more privative low traffic asphalt meets a different texture/higher traffic asphalt mix. In Michigan the roadway on the right would be asphalt and a skirt would extend about 20 feet onto the left roadway, then it would transition to dirt. 

986488302_Ohioroad.thumb.png.6adaa913ac28dbc2f545e9f3ed41b403.png

455583254_Michiganroads.thumb.png.ea60d1a2f1ecd05e8632d71c29029cc6.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I noticed that Ohio & Indiana use a asphalt/gravel road composition for some rural roads. This road type you just don't see used in Michigan. We seem to be left with dirt.

This is a typical Ohio rural road situation. You can see where the more privative low traffic asphalt meets a different texture/higher traffic asphalt mix. In Michigan the roadway on the right would be asphalt and a skirt would extend about 20 feet onto the left roadway, then it would transition to dirt. 

986488302_Ohioroad.thumb.png.6adaa913ac28dbc2f545e9f3ed41b403.png

These both almost look like chipseal, just one newer than the other. 

10 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

These both almost look like chipseal, just one newer than the other. 

I might be wrong, but I believe they spray this down and then spread the fine gravel over it. They rarely ever do this here.

image.png.8342207c47fe77f1ad77d262498e3d1e.png

44 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Well the weather is boring a f right now. but the good kind of boring. 

Oh yeah I'm not complaining, it's just amusing to me. I'm all for OT discussions other than maybe in historical threads. That said, best climo for real. Wouldn't mind a real heat wave sooner than later to start warming the lake up for dunes season.