Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2023 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

17 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Totally random, but when I think how warm it felt today in the 70s, what it must have been like in 1977. April 10th-13th saw highs of 86 87 89 87 at DTW. This stands as the hottest April spell on record and comes on the heels pf a bitter cold winter.

Before the Morch, it used to seem like all those old records from the mid 20th century were impossible to beat.  It's still hard to beat a lot of summer records though, despite a warming climate overall.  Seems like it's harder to get the heat without the humidity these days. To really smash records you need a dry heat, more often than not.  July 1995 did both heat and humidity, but that was about as unusual as Morch 2012.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frostfern said:

Before the Morch, it used to seem like all those old records from the mid 20th century were impossible to beat.  It's still hard to beat a lot of summer records though, despite a warming climate overall.  Seems like it's harder to get the heat without the humidity these days. To really smash records you need a dry heat, more often than not.  July 1995 did both heat and humidity, but that was about as unusual as Morch 2012.

February 2015 was the other extreme. I'd put that close to March 2012. July 1995 was hot but not as bad here as to the west.

6 hours ago, frostfern said:

July 1995 is one of those rare weather months that stands out in my memory. At the time we lived in a house with two window A/C units, one in the living room and one in my parents' bedroom which they didn't like to use because they didn't trust the wiring up there (1920's house with one two-prong outlet per bedroom, except the master which had two, my dad upgraded all the wiring on the first floor but never got around to the second before we moved out). I don't think nine-year-old me wore a shirt outside of school all month. Fans going full blast in every room and almost nightly thunderstorms. Good times.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

February 2015 was the other extreme. I'd put that close to March 2012. July 1995 was hot but not as bad here as to the west.

The heat index combos were pretty incredible during the July 1995 heatwave, but other July's have been quite a bit hotter overall.  Don't quote me on it, but 1988 and 2012 had hotter July's I think.  Even July 2018 was very warm, even though it didn't have any heat waves or daily records broken (maybe a high low or two). That was more just high humidity and a lack of good cold fronts.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

July 1995 is one of those rare weather months that stands out in my memory. At the time we lived in a house with two window A/C units, one in the living room and one in my parents' bedroom which they didn't like to use because they didn't trust the wiring up there (1920's house with one two-prong outlet per bedroom, except the master which had two, my dad upgraded all the wiring on the first floor but never got around to the second before we moved out). I don't think nine-year-old me wore a shirt outside of school all month. Fans going full blast in every room and almost nightly thunderstorms. Good times.

Was camping at Mirror Lake State Park during that heat wave. We went to bars in the Dells every night for the air conditioning.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:30 PM, frostfern said:

The heat index combos were pretty incredible during the July 1995 heatwave, but other July's have been quite a bit hotter overall.  Don't quote me on it, but 1988 and 2012 had hotter July's I think.  Even July 2018 was very warm, even though it didn't have any heat waves or daily records broken (maybe a high low or two). That was more just high humidity and a lack of good cold fronts.

July 88 and 1995 was crazy for coastal areas of MD/DE. Both times it went well into the 100s at the beach. Set all-time records. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

July 88 and 1995 was crazy for coastal areas of MD/DE. Both times it went well into the 100s at the beach. Set all-time records. 

1995 was the first time I recall dew points in the 80s in my area with HI if I recall correctly 120F+.  It was crazy hot.  I went rollerblading those days and there was no one at park on the trials.  I loved it :maphot:  Plus the Derecho that hit most of MI July 13th was incredible!  Lastly I was on top of Pikes Peak I believe it was July 31st.  It was snowing on top the mountain and my sister and I got struck by lighting.  :lightning:  Most crazy experience thankfully neither of us had any side effects!!

1988 in June (?) I was in Smoky National Park (Chimney Tops) hiking.  While all you heard about was drought and heat we made national news because a thunderstorm hammered during the hike.  We had lightning striking all around us, heave rain and pea sized hail.  The hiking trail turned into a stream.  Thankfully we were on the decent down so the lightning (though close) was not a problem (just .  Of course the storm ended right when we got to the vehicle!! :lol:  The national news reported about our location as the very area we were hiking record about ~2.5" of rain.   I had a blast!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lightning said:

1995 was the first time I recall dew points in the 80s in my area with HI if I recall correctly 120F+.  It was crazy hot.  I went rollerblading those days and there was no one at park on the trials.  I loved it :maphot:  Plus the Derecho that hit most of MI July 13th was incredible!  Lastly I was on top of Pikes Peak I believe it was July 31st.  It was snowing on top the mountain and my sister and I got struck by lighting.  :lightning:  Most crazy experience thankfully neither of us had any side effects!!

1988 in June (?) I was in Smoky National Park (Chimney Tops) hiking.  While all you heard about was drought and heat we made national news because a thunderstorm hammered during the hike.  We had lightning striking all around us, heave rain and pea sized hail.  The hiking trail turned into a stream.  Thankfully we were on the decent down so the lightning (though close) was not a problem (just .  Of course the storm ended right when we got to the vehicle!! :lol:  The national news reported about our location as the very area we were hiking record about ~2.5" of rain.   I had a blast!! :thumbsup:

Hello fellow lightning strike survivor. The tent I was sleeping in got hit while camping in the Porcupine Mountains in June 2001. I have a scar where my watch was sitting on my wrist. 

3 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Hello fellow lightning strike survivor. The tent I was sleeping in got hit while camping in the Porcupine Mountains in June 2001. I have a scar where my watch was sitting on my wrist. 

Hello!! :D  It was definitely a hair raising event :lol:

One thing that amazed me was how different the thunder sound was.   I have now heard thunder like that now a few times in my life.  The other events I had enough shelter not to feel the lightning.  

57 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

On this date in 2014, a 3.2" snowfall blanketed Detroit in what was the final measurable snow of the historic 2013-14 season. Snowfall total finished at 94.9" at DTW with 96.2" imby. Toledo, OH received 1.0" of snow, capping their record smashing 86.3" season.

The most insane and harshest winter I’ve ever lived through. Thundersnow, Polar Vortex Blizzard, 11/17/13 tornado outbreak, multiple winter storms and record cold. 2013-2014 was legendary. 

• Like 2

My parents didn’t have AC so I went through summer of 95 with just fans.
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:01 PM, CheeselandSkies said:

I spent the middle of July 1995 at a summer camp in an unair-conditioned dorm in southwest Ohio. It was a miserable week. We would take cold showers (well, as cold as they could get, which wasn't very) every night to get any kind of relief.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 9:20 PM, hardypalmguy said:

My parents didn’t have AC so I went through summer of 95 with just fans.

Had a/c at the house thankfully but the damn a/c at work where I was a chef at decided to take a crap on the hottest day. Pure misery. 

On 4/14/2023 at 5:48 PM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Make that three... Do either of you remember the sounds of a tesla coil just before the strike? No lasting impacts health wise on me. I believe my rubber work boots saved me though from properly grounding out. I was securing  a machine on a trailer with chains while holding a metal bar when I got hit. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DAFF said:

Make that three... Do either of you remember the sounds of a tesla coil just before the strike? No lasting impacts health wise on me. I believe my rubber work boots saved me though from properly grounding out. I was securing  a machine on a trailer with chains while holding a metal bar when I got hit. 

Feeling the area charge up, hair standing up and then the strike with instant thunder.  I recall it sounded way cool.  But exact sound details are a bit more fussy now that it was over 25 years ago for me.  I have been close many times since but that event was just above all else (not looking to repeat unless I am in my 90s and ready to go :lol:).  I didn't have any health impacts thankfully too.

some of ya'll need a touch with reality. outside of 2018, april tends to be what april should be.

...April 60+/70+/80+ Days & Monthly Average By Year For Chicago...

April 2023 (Thru 4/19)
60+: 13
70+: 7
80+: 4
Month Average: +6.8

April 2022
60+: 9
70+: 3
80+: 1
Month Average: -2.7

April 2021
60+: 15
70+: 8
80+: 3
Month Average: +2.2

April 2020
60+: 14
70+: 4
Month Average: -1.3

April 2019
70+: 5
Month Average: 0.0

April 2018
60+: 8
70+: 1
Month Average: -8.5

April 2017
60+: 19
70+: 11
Month Average: +4.0

April 2016
60+: 12
70+: 8
80+: 2
Month Average: -1.9

April 2015
60+: 16
80+: 0
Month Average: -0.3

April 2014
70+: 5
Month Average: -1.1

April 2013
60+: 11
Month Average: -2.8

April 2012
60+: 16
80+: 0
Month Average: +1.0

• Thanks 4

The upcoming pattern will stilll yield solidly below normal for this time of year for much of the country east of the Rockies (with some exceptions). Combined with what is also looking to be a wet pattern with extensive cloud cover, this period won't be kind for outdoor activities and will require heating in many areas.

So while it may not be unusual or unprecedented, it's understandable why some folks would be irritated by it.

Also, those 2023 positive departure will largely be wiped out by the end of the momth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

The upcoming pattern will stilll yield solidly below normal for this time of year for much of the country east of the Rockies (with some exceptions). Combined with what is also looking to be a wet pattern with extensive cloud cover, this period won't be kind for outdoor activities and will require heating in many areas.

So while it may not be unusual or unprecedented, it's understandable why some folks would be irritated by it.

Also, those 2023 positive departure will largely be wiped out by the end of the momth.

The departure may go down by the end of the month, but it won’t be entirely wiped out.