Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Last Hurrah Obs Thread: 3/13-15/23

WxWatcher007

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was at SR 3 feet plus, power outage. Ride back thru 16 watching huge fire burn down Ski and  Xcountry huge warehouse at the bottom of the Mt Washington toll road.  4 feet in the mountains. I have never seen trees completely bent over like that. It was literally a white out looking up. 

Were you up there later that month?  Farther east at Eustis, 1,260' asl, March 22-24 brought 34.5" - they had 64.6" for the month despite only 3.3" from the 5-7 storm.  BPL was finishing a timber harvest on the Redington public lot (5 miles SW from 'Loaf summit) at 2,500+, with the last load coming out just as S++ arrived - probably a 40-spot there.  16" paste at my place.

I got 26" in 2016-17 which was the biggest since we moved into our house in 2013. Seems like 30+ is a big hurdle

I've been interested in wx since the Jan 1953 ice storm in NNJ and the biggest storm I've seen over those 70 years (yikes!) was 26.5" at Fort Kent in March 1984.  30s are rare most everywhere.
(Note: Farmington co-op reported 40" for 12/6-7/2003.  We had 24" and were at church 1.5 miles from the co-op site as final flakes fell, and the snow there looked much like the snow at my home.  30"? maybe. 40? slant stick or in a drift.)

16 hours ago, dendrite said:

That must have been a hell of a core to melt down. lol

I’m not sure how you even compressed that amount of paste in the stratus. Did it take 2 cores?

From Mitch's post:

LE on Tuesday and Wednesday was found by coring the snow on top of the snow board using the outer cylinder of the Stratus rain gauge and then melting it down as this amount of snow easily overflows the outer cylinder multiple times over. The melted water was then measured with the funnel and inner cylinder.

That's exactly what I do for cores of storm and for pack SWE.  For depths taller than the Stratus, I slide my flat shovel into the snow horizontally 9-10" below the top, carefully lift and invert gauge/shovel while leaving the rest of the pack intact, then empty the gauge into a bucket.  Wash/rinse/repeat until reaching board or ground.  I need to keep a written score for packs like last week's core showing 9.31" SWE - do not wish to lose count.  :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Were you up there later that month?  Farther east at Eustis, 1,260' asl, March 22-24 brought 34.5" - they had 64.6" for the month despite only 3.3" from the 5-7 storm.  BPL was finishing a timber harvest on the Redington public lot (5 miles SW from 'Loaf summit) at 2,500+, with the last load coming out just as S++ arrived - probably a 40-spot there.  16" paste at my place.

I got 26" in 2016-17 which was the biggest since we moved into our house in 2013. Seems like 30+ is a big hurdle

I've been interested in wx since the Jan 1953 ice storm in NNJ and the biggest storm I've seen over those 70 years (yikes!) was 26.5" at Fort Kent in March 1984.  30s are rare most everywhere.
(Note: Farmington co-op reported 40" for 12/6-7/2003.  We had 24" and were at church 1.5 miles from the co-op site as final flakes fell, and the snow there looked much like the snow at my home.  30"? maybe. 40? slant stick or in a drift.)

Yep wrong date it was that week ugh getting old ya know 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

From Mitch's post:

LE on Tuesday and Wednesday was found by coring the snow on top of the snow board using the outer cylinder of the Stratus rain gauge and then melting it down as this amount of snow easily overflows the outer cylinder multiple times over. The melted water was then measured with the funnel and inner cylinder.

That's exactly what I do for cores of storm and for pack SWE.  For depths taller than the Stratus, I slide my flat shovel into the snow horizontally 9-10" below the top, carefully lift and invert gauge/shovel while leaving the rest of the pack intact, then empty the gauge into a bucket.  Wash/rinse/repeat until reaching board or ground.  I need to keep a written score for packs like last week's core showing 9.31" SWE - do not wish to lose count.  :D

Yep that's how I do it. 2015 was 38 with a 6 inch WE

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

TBH, I flipped to snow a little earlier than I had expected. I think others who may have flipped later than expected were due to more meager fall rates as a result of banded nature on backside.

Alot of E MA was just flipping when that firehouse lifted north and dryslotted. Changeover times were decent atleast down into the BOS area, but like you said the PM stuff was weak, allowing it to mix back or not accumulate. LEQ was there, but front loaded for the most part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wx2fish said:

Alot of E MA was just flipping when that firehouse lifted north and dryslotted. Changeover times were decent atleast down into the BOS area, but like you said the PM stuff was weak, allowing it to mix back or not accumulate. LEQ was there, but front loaded for the most part.

Yea, we had a ton of QPF in general...but of course, the snow part underperformed..true to form this winter.

2 hours ago, gonegalt said:

Would have been posting longer but lost my password. Northern Maine nearly always misses out on SNE stall/loop bombs- all puked out and filling east by the time we see any. Oh well, if one likes long-lived snow, rather be here!
Moved here from Carrabassett in '02. So much more winter!!

That was the evening forecast from CAR on April 6, 1982 - windy, cold (daytime 20s) and flurries.  By 2 AM we had S+ and the WSO recorded 26.3" from the blizzard, biggest snowfall there at the time, now #4, and the most powerful snow event I've experienced.  We only had 17" - I think, as 60 mph gusts made measurement a challenge and pack at the stake actually lost 2".  Best bust ever!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 1:44 AM, The 4 Seasons said:

If you have an updated number for the season, let me know. I'll check the New England Snow page but some of you aren't on there @tavwtby@TalcottWx@Connecticut Appleman@JKEisMan@FXWX and anyone else from Litchfield/New London counties 

Sorry - I unfortunately don't have a seasonal total that I would trust as I was away for a couple of the smaller events this season.