Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Last Hurrah Obs Thread: 3/13-15/23

WxWatcher007

4 minutes ago, masonwoods said:

On my drive home Monday night it was raining in Milford but transitioned to snow on my drive through Greenville. Was snowing moderately when I got home.

Yup I went up 101A at 6pm Monday , was rain to about 800’ in west Wilton , and was sticking already at 1400’ by Temple Mountain . I would have been such a happy weenie if my place was high enough to snow that early . Nashua was 40 at that time . 

One other quick weenie observation as I was watching the W underground precip type Radar around 10pm Monday nite from Jaffrey ..you could see a little blue pixel several miles East of the sharp S/Rain line that coincided with a weenie neighborhood in Hollis that maxes out around 815’ . No question they were buried on that Upper part of that  little tiny division . I know most all weenie hills near me . The road is summit lane next to Birch hill. 

I've gotten a report of 38" fallen in Harrisville, N.H. near Mt. Monadnock. This is quite the landmark event in that having spent 4 years in the 1960's at school atop a 1,500 foot hill in Harrisville, the most I remember on the ground is about 3 feet after the momentous storms of February, 1969 with possibly some residuals left over from the epic blizzard, the worst I've ever witnessed, of November 12, 1968, as well as subsequent snows. So 38" from one storm is indeed epic and historical.

2 minutes ago, Hailstoned said:

I've gotten a report of 38" fallen in Harrisville, N.H. near Mt. Monadnock. This is quite the landmark event in that having spent 4 years in the 1960's at school atop a 1,500 foot hill in Harrisville, the most I remember on the ground is about 3 feet after the momentous storms of February, 1969 with possibly some residuals left over from the epic blizzard, the worst I've ever witnessed, of November 12, 1968, as well as subsequent snows. So 38" from one storm is indeed epic and historical.

That area probably had a similar total in the Mar 5-7, 2001 storm...maybe not quite 38" but over 30" and the snow pack there likely reached 55-60" later that same month in 2001 after several more storms.

• Like 3

Congrats to those who cashed in. I enjoyed watching from the side lines. Down here in snow helladelphia we have 0 snow for the season. Maybe a trace but does that really count? This is the first time in my life that I’ve gone an entire year without seeing an inch of snow since 0 chases this year. Life happens. You bet I’ll be going whenever, wherever next year!

• Like 2

I remember the models lost Boxing Day at 2 days out and then found it again, but maybe it is just old memory, once the models came back, they were pretty close.  Even after this event started, things didn't seem well forecast until yesterday morning (general details, not  exact snow, but they seemed decent away from the coast generally).

Was this that odd of a setup?  Apples and oranges, but as more of a tropical weenie, I remember when Euro was the king (240 hour 500 mb showed that the Sandy capture was coming 11-12 days before landfall) of the tropics until all of a sudden it wasn't.  I heard they focused more on European weather when changing the model, but I'd think mid-latitude weather is mid-latitude weather, even if mountains, plateaus and valleys in Western North America might result in challenges.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That area probably had a similar total in the Mar 5-7, 2001 storm...maybe not quite 38" but over 30" and the snow pack there likely reached 55-60" later that same month in 2001 after several more storms.

Best we can manage with Coops at the time is near Fitzwilliam with 24" at 1200 ft or so. So somebody higher up probably got plastered.

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

why don't we ever get the big ones like places yesterday?

Probably a combination of proximity and elevation. Monadnocks are just closer to the mean low track, and even if we get one to tuck the elevation just doesn't ramp up as quickly in our immediate vicinity. 

• Like 1

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Best we can manage with Coops at the time is near Fitzwilliam with 24" at 1200 ft or so. So somebody higher up probably got plastered.

I remember jaffrey had 30 or 31” in the PNS but not sure their coop data got recorded. That was one of the last years the coop was even reporting iirc. 

24 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

why don't we ever get the big ones like places yesterday?

While (I think) it was a different synoptic setup than yesterday, and certainly the makeup of the snow was very different, we did "just" have a 30"+ storm 10 years ago.  These don't grow on trees, at least we're not as favored to have them as other locations (see yesterday) do.

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember jaffrey had 30 or 31” in the PNS but not sure their coop data got recorded. That was one of the last years the coop was even reporting iirc. 

I'll add too that Fitzwilliam (and to a lesser extent Jaffrey) aren't ideal for easterly flow events even though they are still good. They are a little less favorable than places like New Ipswich, Temple, Greenville, Ashburnham, Ashby, Princeton, etc....Fitzwilliam and Jaffrey are on the lee side of the Wapack range.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tunafish said:

While (I think) it was a different synoptic setup than yesterday, and certainly the makeup of the snow was very different, we did "just" have a 30"+ storm 10 years ago.  These don't grow on trees, at least we're not as favored to have them as other locations (see yesterday) do.

I got 26" in 2016-17 which was the biggest since we moved into our house in 2013. Seems like 30+ is a big hurdle

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I think you’re thinking of Feb 01 and not Mar 01?

No it was notable specifically because it was Jaffrey’s second 30”+ storm in one season. I remember we were all in awe of a place getting 2 storms like that so close together. 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

17.1" at GYX, 16.5" at PWM. 

I was at SR 3 feet plus, power outage. Ride back thru 16 watching huge fire burn down Ski and  Xcountry huge warehouse at the bottom of the Mt Washington toll road.  4 feet in the mountains. I have never seen trees completely bent over like that. It was literally a white out looking up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No it was notable specifically because it was Jaffrey’s second 30”+ storm in one season. I remember we were all in awe of a place getting 2 storms like that so close together. 

Lol I was also at SR for the Feb storm. 7 inches in one hour. The tennis court net was completely buried in about 18 hrs. Insane ski day

• Like 1