Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Last Hurrah Obs Thread: 3/13-15/23

WxWatcher007

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Same here .....the only "real" accumulation overnight wasn't on paved surfaves..Driveway and road had a thin slushy coating.

The plows sending the road slush into mounds and piles, which then mitigates melting does a lot to make it seem like more. Another reminder of what could have been, with temps 1-2 degrees colder.

But any untouched surfaces are ready to melt out in a day or two.

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

The plows sending the road slush into mounds and piles, which then mitigates melting does a lot to make it seem like more. Another reminder of what could have been, with temps 1-2 degrees colder.

But any untouched surfaces are ready to melt out in a day or two.

Lost slightly more than an inch of precip to rain. Then once it  changed to snow it took an hour or so to begin to accumulate due to the warm/wet ground

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some pics from ORH on winter hill. Just over 14”…amazingly less than 5 miles way at similar elevation had over 2 feet…the 900-925 warmth overnight prior to about 7am was most of the difference (about 13-17” vs 4” at 7am yesterday…beyond 7am, snow accumulated roughly at similar rates/amounts) 

8DFBE05C-5B77-4A20-853A-9491FB47F53E.jpeg

4D8247BD-9623-464B-B7BE-10BEF9F11D34.jpeg

7AC55CDE-F056-4A07-BB87-F9E316D53C1F.jpeg

I would like to see the difference between east and west facing elevations too. A little upslope cooling may have made a big difference early on.

20 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Lol this graphic which leaves out the Monads, Berks, and ORH hills. Missing a datapoint for Portland - 7" there?

"where most of us live" map. 

Lame. AF.

NOHRSC_snowfall.png

Not positive, but those may be actual surveyed depths from official sites for SWE.

2 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I'm closer to the coast than the Jetport, by about 3 miles - which doesn't help.   Had over an inch of liquid, too - speaking of abysmal ratios.

Even then, the PWM CoCoRAHS observers had essentially the same.

image.png.fe5293a8713e52e22752124bade64dc3.png

Look at me up there around the highest point in Portland with a half inch more. Probably more compaction than anything else though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I have a snowblower, worked great this December. Made it 40' yesterday and now won't move lol. It's alright, I'm going to dig out now. Eventually I'll get it. 

Won't move because the chute is filled with snow??....if that is the case try using a non stick spray on the chute.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I had to drive my wife this morning for an appointment at the Brigham and it really is night and day from my neighborhood to yours.   As soon as we got to Jamaica Pond it barely looked like it snowed.  That band between 11 and midnight and a bit beyond was more intense than anything I’ve seen this season.   In Brookline Village walking around the old neighborhood and snow cover is minimal.   By the time we get back home probably around 11AM it probably will be heading that way but that 200 feet elevation made a huge difference yesterday albeit for a disappointing and worthless event for 128 on east.

I believe it! The delta is ~200 feet elevation and a few more miles inland, almost always helps.

I was confident in widespread 3-6" for areas inside 128 away from the water... significantly tempered from the potential signaled over the weekend, and even that failed.

That persistent appendage low over southern CT --- for resisting cooling of the BL initially that slowed our changeover when we were supposed to be pounding 18z, and for delaying the low consolidation and clean CCB for Tuesday evening, and for maybe fuji'ing the ocean low a little too far north for us --- was a major culprit.

Honestly, even 1 hour of >1"/hr rates of actual accumulating snow, not white rain, would have given this some redemption. Add to that the embarrassment of being wrong to relatives/coworkers who had the confident simple skepticism "it's too warm".

Hope the wife's ok!

31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They probably will. Gotta collect all the Coops and CoCoRaHS reports and weed out the slant stickers.

Your late afternoon 5-7 call for my area was spot on.  Accumulating snow began about 4 PM and the band from northern GOM hit about an hour later.  Had 5.5" from 4-9 plus another 0.5" overnight, with about 4" pounding from 5:30-7 PM, some 3"+/hr periods.  For such a sticky snow, the near 10:1 ratio (6.0"/0.61" LE) was surprisingly high.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I would like to see the difference between east and west facing elevations too. A little upslope cooling may have made a big difference early on.

Not positive, but those may be actual surveyed depths from official sites for SWE.

Look at me up there around the highest point in Portland with a half inch more. Probably more compaction than anything else though.

I'm sure it did. Though in the case of winter hill vs Holden, they are on the same exact east-facing slope and similar elevation....so the only factor there was an extra 3-5 miles of latitude made a large difference during that marginal period between 10pm-6am. It was pounding pretty good around 1-2am on winter hill when I went to bed but the snow was REALLY waterlogged....even like a half degree prob made a huge difference in the 900-950 layer. That 925 0C line was like sitting over the city overnight. I noticed the airport actually briefly went to rain about 3 miles south (and 100 feet higher) of Winter Hill overnight...and I don't think we did.

11 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

I believe it! The delta is ~200 feet elevation and a few more miles inland, almost always helps.

I was confident in widespread 3-6" for areas inside 128 away from the water... significantly tempered from the potential signaled over the weekend, and even that failed.

That persistent appendage low over southern CT --- for resisting cooling of the BL initially that slowed our changeover when we were supposed to be pounding 18z, and for delaying the low consolidation and clean CCB for Tuesday evening, and for maybe fuji'ing the ocean low a little too far north for us --- was a major culprit.

Honestly, even 1 hour of >1"/hr rates of actual accumulating snow, not white rain, would have given this some redemption. Add to that the embarrassment of being wrong to relatives/coworkers who had the confident simple skepticism "it's too warm".

Hope the wife's ok!

Yeah-I got multiple texts from my Chicago family asking how much snow.   I just curtly replied the amount.  My wife broke her right arm slipping on the ice 2/7.  Pretty disabling and she can’t drive-today is a f/u appointment-cast comes off in 2 weeks and then removable splint for 6 more-even she commented on the lack of snow in the lowlands.  She also told me that in her opinion this snow won’t amount to much.  I hate when she’s right!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some pics from ORH on winter hill. Just over 14”…amazingly less than 5 miles way at similar elevation had over 2 feet…the 900-925 warmth overnight prior to about 7am was most of the difference (about 13-17” vs 4” at 7am yesterday…beyond 7am, snow accumulated roughly at similar rates/amounts) 

3 NNE Worcester AP           23.0 in   1211 AM 03/15
Templeton                    23.0 in   0643 AM 03/15   Trained Spotter
1 NE Fitchburg AP            19.4 in   0609 PM 03/14   Public
Phillipston                  19.0 in   0400 PM 03/14   Amateur Radio
Holden 0.9 SSE               19.0 in   0530 AM 03/15   COCORAHS
Barre 1.4 NNE                17.2 in   0700 AM 03/15   COCORAHS
Worcester AP                 14.4 in   1108 PM 03/14

Significant H9 variance.

18 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:
3 NNE Worcester AP           23.0 in   1211 AM 03/15
Templeton                    23.0 in   0643 AM 03/15   Trained Spotter
1 NE Fitchburg AP            19.4 in   0609 PM 03/14   Public
Phillipston                  19.0 in   0400 PM 03/14   Amateur Radio
Holden 0.9 SSE               19.0 in   0530 AM 03/15   COCORAHS
Barre 1.4 NNE                17.2 in   0700 AM 03/15   COCORAHS
Worcester AP                 14.4 in   1108 PM 03/14

Significant H9 variance.

3 NNE Worcester AP 23.0 in 1211 AM 03/15

This is wild based on that PNS (i marked winter hill with the 14")....those two Xs are maybe 3 miles or less by way the crow flies but basically the same elevation:

image.png.4969a3a276891ddab8de72a774c6c384.png

• Like 1

@OceanStWx

I wonder if even at same elevation, the additional 1-2 miles of longitude helped with upslope cooling? The parcel is probably still rising 1-2 miles west even if the elevation hasn't increased any further. So a few tenths of extra cooling in that boundary layer made enough difference when the conditions were exceptionally marginal.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

@OceanStWx

I wonder if even at same elevation, the additional 1-2 miles of longitude helped with upslope cooling? The parcel is probably still rising 1-2 miles west even if the elevation hasn't increased any further. So a few tenths of extra cooling in that boundary layer made enough difference when the conditions were exceptionally marginal.

Did you happen to see radar last evening in that snow band ? There was a constant snowhole just to the WSW of ORH for hours and then echoes would rejuvenate in the higher hills to the west and down to here dumping moderate to occasionally heavy snow. It went on for 4-5 hours. Does that area there downslope typically to the west of ORH?

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

I have a snowblower, worked great this December. Made it 40' yesterday and now won't move lol. It's alright, I'm going to dig out now. Eventually I'll get it. 

Won’t move snow, won’t move forward or won’t move because the engine won’t start?  Those issues become more concerning as you go from former to latter. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

3 NNE Worcester AP 23.0 in 1211 AM 03/15

This is wild based on that PNS (i marked winter hill with the 14")....those two Xs are maybe 3 miles or less by way the crow flies but basically the same elevation:

image.png.4969a3a276891ddab8de72a774c6c384.png

What town are you in? From what i remember it's Holliston right and you have family there on winter hill? What was the final where you're at.

Here's the reports from the NWS-72 hour map, the highest i could find in Mass is 36". I think thats the max unless someone saw a higher report out there?

(Also that 43 in Beacon NY is obviously an error, not sure how that snuck in there)

Screenshot 2023-03-15 113827.png

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

What town are you in? From what i remember it's Holliston right and you have family there on winter hill? What was the final where you're at.

Here's the reports from the NWS-72 hour map, the highest i could find in Mass is 36". I think thats the max unless someone saw a higher report out there?

(Also that 42 in Beacon NY is obviously an error, not sure how that snuck in there)

Yeah I’m in Holliston where we got about 3.5-4” (literally 200 feet Lower than me half a mile away had maybe an inch or inch and a half). Kind of a bust here where I was thinking closer to 8” prior to the storm. But I honestly can’t complain..this location has overachieved decently in the past 5 winters relative to surroundings. 

Winter hill area had an insane gradient too…not just the one I was talking about either…but driving down the hill less than one mile to the east maybe had 8-9” of mashed potatoes. So you could theoretically go from 8-9” at 550 feet in N ORH city to 2 feet of snow in Holden in a span of less than 5 miles by way the crow flies. That’s ridiculous.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I’m in Holliston where we got about 3.5-4” (literally 200 feet Lower than me half a mile away had maybe an inch or inch and a half). Kind of a bust here where I was thinking closer to 8” prior to the storm. But I honestly can’t complain..this location has overachieved decently in the past 5 winters relative to surroundings. 

Winter hill area had an insane gradient too…not just the one I was talking about either…but driving down the hill less than one mile to the east maybe had 8-9” of mashed potatoes. So you could theoretically go from 8-9” at 550 feet in N ORH city to 2 feet of snow in Holden in a span of less than 5 miles by way the crow flies. That’s ridiculous.  

I can go from 5” imby to close to 30” 5mi as the crow flies.   I am actually going to take a drive up into the hills with my kid shortly.