• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Last Hurrah Obs Thread: 3/13-15/23

WxWatcher007

Some pics from ORH on winter hill. Just over 14”…amazingly less than 5 miles way at similar elevation had over 2 feet…the 900-925 warmth overnight prior to about 7am was most of the difference (about 13-17” vs 4” at 7am yesterday…beyond 7am, snow accumulated roughly at similar rates/amounts) 

8DFBE05C-5B77-4A20-853A-9491FB47F53E.jpeg

4D8247BD-9623-464B-B7BE-10BEF9F11D34.jpeg

7AC55CDE-F056-4A07-BB87-F9E316D53C1F.jpeg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

For once I beat the other Northfield guys. Of course they measure every 24hr so there was melting and compaction, but being a couple hundred feet up above town may have helped. Had about 14” of new depth this morning when I snowblowed so I beat their totals regardless. Lots of elevation variation across the area and those who were 32° racked up a lot more over those who were 33°-34°. 
image.png

What is your depth?

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some pics from ORH on winter hill. Just over 14”…amazingly less than 5 miles way at similar elevation had over 2 feet…the 900-925 warmth overnight prior to about 7am was most of the difference (about 13-17” vs 4” at 7am yesterday…beyond 7am, snow accumulated roughly at similar rates/amounts) 

8DFBE05C-5B77-4A20-853A-9491FB47F53E.jpeg

4D8247BD-9623-464B-B7BE-10BEF9F11D34.jpeg

7AC55CDE-F056-4A07-BB87-F9E316D53C1F.jpeg

Was it worth it?

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The marginal nature, of the antecedent air mass we had to work with, is clear in the fact that I have not been below freezing for two days. 

Same here. We hit 32 briefly a few times during the burst early yesterday but spent the afternoon well into the 30s and 33 last night

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Would have gone there if you knew you would only get 14" and narrowly miss the 30"..

Oh yeah, I was thinking around a foot when I went, so 14" was actually exceeding expectations, lol. It's def a bummer to miss another foot by a few miles, but at least most of the part that we were getting screwed on was overnight....during waking hours, it absolutely pounded. It's better than watching mostly rain.

• Like 1

Just now, OceanStWx said:

They probably will. Gotta collect all the Coops and CoCoRaHS reports and weed out the slant stickers.

In larger events, I've noticed they'll usually not issue a final map until at least 12 hours after it's over. So I'd think by later this afternoon or evening theyll have a final map.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

And I think you had to measure at peak rates and peak storm to see those numbers. My "7" is less than half just since evening and overnight, due to ongoing melting.

My peak depth was 6"...but with being home and family away, I was able to keep up with it to arrive at 7.5" total.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

And I think you had to measure at peak rates and peak storm to see those numbers. My "7" is less than half just since evening and overnight, due to ongoing melting.

Same here .....the only "real" accumulation overnight wasn't on paved surfaves..Driveway and road had a thin slushy coating.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It is a bit of a bummer to be able to shovel the driveway and see grass after a winter storm warning. :lol:

Ha - was thinking the same thing. I have a south-facing property and may not even bother snowblowing my driveway since the March sun is doing its thing. I did shovel the plow piles.

I appreciated your post-mortem comments last night. Seems like immediate coastal areas have been especially tricky lately.