Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday March 12th white rain tracking

olafminesaw

Not having seen this new thread, I just had posted this in the main one:

"More immediately, there's a good chance for snow falling for part of tomorrow for especially northern NC! It would be a challenge for it to stick but not impossible in some areas for some stickage. But it just falling would be quite notable, especially for mid March and this winter's lack of it."

Good luck to you guys!

• Like 2

With a little luck Boone could quadruple the official snow total for the winter with this one.

Of course the airport is currently at a half inch on the season so it's not like it's gonna take much. Concerned about sleet mixing in but if we can avoid that I wouldn't be surprised for some spots up here to get 3-4"

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The 12Z GFS has RDU down to 34 and 100% RH early tomorrow afternoon with rain/snow mix falling. I'm not looking for sticking (though some sticking on nonpaved surfaces in some areas possible), but seeing some flakes falling is the main potential.

24 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

The signal on both the EPS and GEFS is honestly the best it has looked this season, especially this close to the event.  

EPS12Z11MAR2023.png

GFS12Z11MAR2023.png

I'm excited for you guys to see a nice fall of snow (mixed with rain). As long as expectations of sticking are kept in check (like expecting none), this looks like fun for y'all.

From RDU:

A COMBINATION OF TOP-DOWN AND FORECAST PARTIAL THICKNESS/TRENDS   NOMOGRAM FAVOR THE PRESENCE OF A DEEP/NEAR FREEZING ISOTHERMAL LAYER   ALOFT AND MELTING OF SNOW IN A SHALLOW, ABOVE FREEZING SURFACE LAYER   THAT WILL LIKELY SUPPORT A LARGER AND MORE PROLONGED AREA OF   RAIN/SNOW MIX OR EVEN ALL SNOW ACROSS THE NRN NC PIEDMONT SUNDAY   MORNING. THAT APPEARS TO BE THE CASE AFTER AN INITIAL PERIOD OF   LIGHT RAIN INCOMPLETELY SATURATING/COOLING THE SUB-CLOUD LAYER AT   ONSET, THEN BOTH WARMING AND DRYING ALOFT, AND INSOLATION FROM A MID-   MARCH SUN ANGLE, DURING THE AFTERNOON, WHICH WOULD FAVOR A   CHANGEOVER TO RAIN/DRIZZLE THAT WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT.   ***HOWEVER, MOST/ALL SNOW SHOULD MELT AS IT FALLS*** OWING TO 1)   VERY WARM SOIL TEMPERATURES THAT HAVE RANGED FROM MID 40S TO LWR 50S   F THE PAST COUPLE OF MORNINGS TO 50S TO NEAR 60 F THIS AFTERNOON, 2)   ABOVE FREEZING AIR TEMPERATURES EXCEPT FOR PERHAPS A 2-3 HR PERIOD   WHEN HEAVIER PRECIP RATES WOULD FAVOR "MELTING OUT"/ DIABATICALLY-   COOLING TO 32-33F AN OTHERWISE ~750-1000 FT AGL ABOVE FREEZING   SURFACE LAYER, AND 3) A MID-MARCH/LATE WINTER SUN ANGLE THROUGH THE   MORNING-MIDDAY HOURS. ANY ACCUMULATION OF PERHAPS A TENTH TO TWO   WOULD BE LIMITED TO ANY PERIOD OF ALL SNOW AND CONFINED TO ELEVATED   SURFACES NEAR THE VA BORDER.  

7 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

^

Soil temps? Check!
Sun angle? Check!

RAH playing all the hits in their disco.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

How much does sun angle matter anywhere and at any time of year if there is a thick overcast? Anyone know?

Per RDU:

AS OF 400 AM SUNDAY...     ...WINTRY MIX EXPECTED THIS MORNING AND INTO THE EARLY AFTERNOON   ACROSS THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT COUNTIES...     ...HAVE INCREASED SNOW/SLEET AMOUNTS SLIGHTLY ACROSS THE FAR   NORTHERN PIEDMONT COUNTIES...       ..IMPACTS STILL EXPECTED TO BE LIMITED  

CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE THAT A PERIOD OF MIXED WINTRY   PRECIP WILL BEGIN LATER THIS MORNING AND COULD LINGER THROUGH   MIDDAY/EARLY AFTERNOON ACROSS THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT/I-85 CORRIDOR,   BEFORE EVERYTHING CHANGES OVER TO LIQUID RAIN. OVER THE PAST 24-36   HOURS, MODELS ARE LESS SUPPRESSED WRT TO STRONGER MOISTURE TRANSPORT   ACROSS THE REGION. THUS, LIQUID EQUIVALENT HAVE INCREASED ACROSS   NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA, WITH FAIRLY UNIFORM LIQUID   EQUIVALENT OF 0.50-0.66" EXPECTED ACROSS CENTRAL NC.     HOWEVER, THE STRONGER SOUTHERLY TRANSPORT FARTHER NORTH CENTRAL NC   ALSO MEANS A MODEL SIGNALING OF SLIGHTLY WARMER TEMPS ALOFT, WHICH   INTRODUCES INCREASING CHANCES FOR MORE MIXED PRECIP, WHICH INCLUDES   SLEET MIXING IN WITH THE RAIN AND SNOW AT TIMES. A FORECAST OF MIXED   P-TYPE INHERENTLY INTRODUCES A GOOD DEGREE OF UNCERTAINTY WRT TO   ACTUAL SNOW/SLEET AMOUNTS. WITH THAT SAID, THE LAST COUPLE OF RUNS   OF THE HI-RES ENSEMBLE PROBABILISTIC FORECASTS CONTINUE TO SHOW   LIKELY TO CATEGORICAL CHANCES OF AT LEAST A HALF INCH OF SNOW/SLEET   ACROSS THE FAR NORTHERN, I-85 CORRIDOR COUNTIES. WHILE IT'S POSSIBLE   TO SEE SOME LOCALIZED HEAVIER AMOUNTS NEAR THE VIRGINIA   BORDER(PERSON COUNTY), THE RECENT RECORD WARMTH HAS RESULTED IN VERY   WARM GROUND TEMPS. THUS, ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD LARGELY BE CONFINED TO   ELEVATED SURFACES SUCH AS ROOF TOPS AND DECKS, WITH LITTLE TO NO   IMPACTS ON ROADS AND BRIDGES.  

* Edit at 5:40 AM: sleet reported in W portion of Triad

• Like 1

Oh ye of little faith. Woke up about 7 and checked personal weather station for current temp and low temp. Concerned over possible bad decision of not covering young Keifer pear tree with frost cloth. Saw the blue overhead in the weather radar and rushed to den to flip on deck light and look outside. Light to medium downfall of large snowflakes with zero mixing. At dawn looked again and ground was covered with a dusting. Picture Snoopy happy dance!!! 

Snow_20230312_073858 neighborhood.jpeg

Snow_20230312-070148 deck.jpeg

• Like 3