Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2023 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

34 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Native tallgrass prairie plantings are much more aesthetically pleasing then Kentucky Bluegrass imo. Not to mention lower maintenance. 

I don't water or fertilize mine, I just burn about a gallon of gas every 7 to 10 days mowing it. Grass is primarily a uniform erosion control, which native grass would accomplish. Cutting your lawn does work as a rodent and pest barrier for the home, so that's one unmentioned perk.

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

No Mow May is disgusting.  Weed infestations and bugs galore.

Absolutely insane. Can you imagine the ticks and rodents? Lyme disease infected ticks everywhere, and they are pushing this nonsense. It's a public health hazard and nuisance. If the people pushing this trend want to live among unmowed lawns, they should move to a rural area, and vacate the cities and suburbs.

54 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Absolutely insane. Can you imagine the ticks and rodents? Lyme disease infected ticks everywhere, and they are pushing this nonsense. It's a public health hazard and nuisance. If the people pushing this trend want to live among unmowed lawns, they should move to a rural area, and vacate the cities and suburbs.

Starts in Ann Arbor a few years ago and it’s supposed to help out our pollinator insects. In a suburb set up I really don’t know how it helps unless you border a woodlot

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

You would love my old neighborhood in Philly. Nothing but Brick row homes, cement, and blacktop. Only grass to be found was at the park or grave yard! 

Screenshot_20230523-150152.thumb.png.c5bee81fd95e6327e90ce123a0afd156.png

terrible, mine is lush and green

unless your neighborhood is at least 100 years old, the tree canopy is gonna be trash

9 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

terrible, mine is lush and green

unless your neighborhood is at least 100 years old, the tree canopy is gonna be trash

Oh it's over 100 yrs old. My Grandmother was born in the house next to the white one on the right 101 years ago. My house was the white one. 

28 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Yeah philly is ugly

Center City isn't too bad as is some of the ne part of the city. Been a bit of progress in recent years. 

I personally was ok with it. What I didn't like was parking or driving with the traffic there. Plus it's expensive. 

47 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Guess I'm old fashioned, I like a nice lawn. :bag:

Oh I like a nice lawn. Just don't care as much if living in the city. I have a nice lawn/yard here. 

Philly could use more trees the issue is people tend to park on the sidewalks ( terrible shortage of available parking ) greatly limiting where trees can grow. If you are not parked by 5 forget it you are gonna be either double or in some cases triple parked blocks away.  Unfortunately sections of Philly was built before the automobile. 

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Guess I'm old fashioned, I like a nice lawn. :bag:

Sitting in the mower for a good couple hours.  Over ear NC headphones jamming some tunes.  Then with the beautiful fresh cut lawn, sitting in the lawn chair and have a brew on a sunny 80+ degree day.  :thumbsup:

drought looks relentless
Operational Euro already going balls out with the drought feedback next week lol. ~95 to 100 parts of the local region next Wednesday-Thursday with fairly pedestrian 582 DM 500 mb heights and 850s around +20C. Overdone, but into the 90s looks realistic.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

you first need a heat wave in order to do that.

After coming back from Clearwater that’s what I’m hoping for. Love the clean Lake Huron which will be the first Great Lake I visit this summer. Smokey skies I know won’t help 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

From LOT's morning AFD

In fact, if no rain falls within the next 6
days, May 2023 will be the 2nd driest on record in Chicago beyond
1992 when 0.30" of rain fell.

From the rains and heavy wet snow to really dry conditions. Good if you work outside but some thunder would be nice

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

From LOT's morning AFD

...May 2023 will be the 2nd driest on record in Chicago beyond
1992 when 0.30" of rain fell.

Hmmmmmm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_outbreak_of_June_14–18,_1992

The CFS doesn't always show life, but when it does, it's generally been in that timeframe since it came into range.

7n4ybo.jpg.4e792d9821256c5a72dab4cd36070f57.jpg