Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2023 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

On 5/2/2023 at 8:48 PM, Chicago Storm said:

While things look to improve overall, it also appears as though it will be a bumpy road for the beginning 1/3rd and middle 1/3rd of May (Especially the latter).

Probably should keep expectations in check.

The bumpy middle 1/3rd of May is finally about to tap in, and looks to extend into the early portion of the final 1/3rd of May as well.

A bit delayed, but not denied.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The bumpy middle 1/3rd of May is finally about to tap in, and looks to extend into the early portion of the final 1/3rd of May as well.

A bit delayed, but not denied.

Trough-east ridge-west as far as the eye can see kills me.  Its not as bad as a cutoff stalled directly overhead, but still boring AF.

• Like 2

As nice as it was to finally get on the board with a sig :twister:catch at Keota on 3/31, would appreciate a few more at least somewhat synoptically-evident regional chase opportunities that don't involve 50+ MPH storm motions.

Still haven't seen a signal strong enough to take a week of PTO strictly for chasing. CFS keeps waffling about the week following Memorial Day.

Just now, frostfern said:

Sorry didn’t get pictures.  Its cloudy as well as smokey now.  Its mixing down. Smells like a campfire.

That’s what my mother in law and my parents told me. Pretty crazy this early. Wonder what end of summer has in store.

9 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

That’s what my mother in law and my parents told me. Pretty crazy this early. Wonder what end of summer has in store.

I experienced really bad smoke in Colorado in 2021.  It was all from California fires, but somehow a cold front stalled out against the Front Range caused it to mix down and bank up against the mountains.  It was so thick there were no shadows even with no clouds present.  The smoke was so strong it made me cough.

Its not quite that bad now here, but still the worst I’ve ever experienced in Michigan from a distant smoke source.

It seems like the ignition fuel for these fires is mostly dormant brush and grass (though the flames obviously do spread to lowland forest canopies wherever they get hot enough). Its not the normal conifer-fueled mountain fires you get from late summer into fall. This is something different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Gonna get a long break from mowing in coming weeks.

It's No Mow May, you shouldn't be mowing anyway. I'd plant native vegetation, but I know how uptight Americans are about having ugly vast expanses of turf lawns. 

• Thanks 2