Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

yes big dryslot from NYC to Nassau County also needs to be factored on, it was sticking earlier when it was snowing hard and it lightened up a lot around 4

If the burst of snow we had started now instead of 1pm, there’d be 2-3” here. It was absolutely crushing but took forever to cool to 32 and overcome the warm ground/sun. Instead, a little over 1”. Very nice and we still have some on the grass, but could have been better. About what I expected when I saw models getting snowier for Suffolk County. I’m curious about the area near Upton though, someone out there might have 4-5” by now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

It's like the 5 that fell in March 98. Don't think there was ever close to that on the ground and it melted either a few hours

Nah it was a legit 5"+ snowfall, on pavement and everything even in the 5 boros. It fells mostly overnight. It just didn't very long. The sun came out in the morning and destroyed that snow through out the day. Any piles remaining were gone with record heat in the 80s to end the month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dWave said:

Nah it was a legit 5"+ snowfall, on pavement and everything even in the 5 boros. It fells mostly overnight. It just didn't very long. The sun came out in the morning and destroyed that snow through out the day. Any piles remaining were gone with record heat in the 80s to end the month.

Maybe this would have been 5 inches somewhere on Long Island if it had happened at night.

I just said that in the previous post before reading yours....MATCH lol

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If the burst of snow we had started now instead of 1pm, there’d be 2-3” here. It was absolutely crushing but took forever to cool to 32 and overcome the warm ground/sun. Instead, a little over 1”. Very nice and we still have some on the grass, but could have been better. About what I expected when I saw models getting snowier for Suffolk County. I’m curious about the area near Upton though, someone out there might have 4-5” by now. 

Yeah like 3 of us said 5 inches at the same time which was really weird LOL

triple match!

Why does that area always jackpot?  Must be something other than sheer coincidence.

triple match!

Why does that area always jackpot?  Must be something other than sheer coincidence.

Is there any confirmation that is actually heavy snow hitting the ground. If it is they are hitting the jackpot for Long Island.

• Like 1

triple match!

Short term models did have a heavy band developing over LI but disagreed on where. It began here but got worse the farther east you go, looks like east of Rt 112 maxed out on it. It’s just luck and some effects from the sound/convergence over LI most likely. 

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

Short term models did have a heavy band developing over LI but disagreed on where. It began here but got worse the farther east you go, looks like east of Rt 112 maxed out on it. It’s just luck and some effects from the sound/convergence over LI most likely. 

I noticed the sound is at its widest point north of there plus being in the middle of Long Island has some advantage over being on either shoreline (elevation?)

40 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Is there any confirmation that is actually heavy snow hitting the ground. If it is they are hitting the jackpot for Long Island.

Yes I can confirm it was heavy snow. I was dead smack in the middle of that band. Haven’t measured but looks about 3-4” mainly on grass and colder surfaces. There was some slush in roads as well

Obviously disappointing we didn't get a significant snowfall in NYC, not that one was expected, but walking outside with the snow falling this evening really reminded me why I loved winter. There was something about walking through the snowfall and seeing it gleam in the light that made me really happy. 

• Like 9

32 down here and snowing pretty good right now, finally sticking to the grass. Radar suggests this should continue for a little while at least. 

I’ll take it. 

Snowed all day, never saw any rain. But nothing would stick with temperatures ranging from 34-37. Finally started getting colder and it’s finally sticking. 

• Like 1

I think someone in the area just west morristown area is going to report 6-8 inches based on the radar all day

That’s me… if I were at a higher elevation. A few miles west of me will. It never stopped today. Very pretty. Would have been perfect for December, not right before Spring. giphy.gif

• Like 1

Snowed pretty good all day here, just took awhile to add up.  Pavement stayed bare for the most part, except certain areas.  Mostly just limited to grass, deck, patio tables, etc.  Measured roughly 3.2" or so.  The wind was relentless.

I guess it was a very "wintry feeling" day, and probably the last for most of us until next year.

• Like 1