Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

well that's interesting, I feel like you're getting more optimistic too, but I'd still be very hesitant making a higher than 4" forecast for the city and coast, you know the climo here and the type of antecedent airmass we have.

I think up to 4" is a good call for the city at the moment but if the 12z runs hold then it may be time to up them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ILoveWinter said:

I think up to 4" is a good call for the city at the moment but if the 12z runs hold then it may be time to up them.

yeah anything more should be a "day of" call, let's see how things trend the rest of the day.

I did tell people to wait for the 12z runs today before jumping ship lol.

May need to extend that to 0z tonight at this rate.

1 hour ago, SRRTA22 said:

Wondering if this a case where we see a 1-3" of snow followed by 1-3" of sleet , maybe more? I could see this being a major sleet storm

Soundings, at least on the GFS don’t show a lot of sleet. It’s mostly rain or snow or a rain snow mix.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

And it's still not done. Even at 7:1 that's nearly a foot in the city 

It'll be at least 10:1 with good growth in the DGZ with the incredible lift and supersaturation we're going to have up there and surface temps now down to 31-32F during the height of the storm - CCB FTW!

sfct-imp.us_state_ne_s.png

Though the insane high amounts now shown on the models are possible, forecasting this storm I would wait one more model run before going crazy. Tomorrow is going to be all rain. There's 12 more hours to alert the public and 36 more hours of shopping time. And half of this 24" of snow for LGA falls on a northwest wind. Very unusual but with those vertical velocities it's possible but extremely rare. So for now, I'm going for 6-12" for the NYC Metro with more north and west and higher elevations. Winter Storm Watches should be up for the entire area no later than tonight.

WX/PT 

• Like 5