Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/10 and beyond... all the waves threats

mappy

10 minutes ago, yoda said:

Must... turn away... from Day 10... 12z GFS... cannot resist...

I don't think the cost/benefit of getting hyped over a 5 day range is worth it at this point, let alone 7-10+ days.  We're entering the portion of climo where a 850 warm nose can show up within 24 hrs after a week of tracking.  I'd be interested if I was in the higher elevations and I'd like to see a storm before the season concludes, but too much needs to go right once we get past mid-March to get invested.  Average high temp is approaching 55 degrees lol.

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Well.. 12z CMC at 240 has the same general idea... so I guess?

This idea isn't really new. The overall pattern on the means has looked the best for this period, with the possibility of a healthy southern wave ejecting eastward and maybe not having a NS wave eff it up this time.

• Like 2

Well.. 12z CMC at 240 has the same general idea... so I guess?

Euro showed the overall evolution yesterday too. That storm is our best shot. NS relaxes and we get a consolidated SS system. Pattern is fully entrenched at that point. Let’s reel it in.

I know, I know, 10 days out, it’ll change…. But this is our best shot yet given the current look. We just need the NS to stay the fuck out of the picture.

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

The fact that the NAM & Euro both drop over a foot and the GFS says 7-8” at my parents place but there’s no watch or advisory up is pretty wild. Not sure I’ve ever seen such uncertainty this close to a storm for their area.

They are typically right around the fall line (87 - NYS thruway is about 7 miles to their south) A true nowcast situation. Hope it doesn’t fail. I’m bringing mid Atlantic mojo with me afterall emoji23.png

There are 3 things that would make me go more conservative for NYC metro. First their climo in the metro isn’t that good in March either  NYCs biggest Mar snow since the superstorm is 8” in 2018.  Before 93 you have to go back to the 60s to get double digits!  One 10”+ storm in 50 years kinda indicates it’s very hard to get a huge snow into the metro this late  

The others are specific to this setup.  It’s an inverted trough setup which means there will be more of a SE flow to the NW of the secondary than typical of this was a fully developed with its own circulation.  The full phase and development of a closed circulation doesn’t happen until too late for NYC.  With a marginal airmass unless they do get bombed the flip to snow could be messy.  Lastly the guidance bombing them are doing it eith a meso scale moisture convergence band along the inverted trough.  The guidance can’t agree on if that’s real and if so where to put it.  That’s like pinning down a line of thunderstorms.  

Given all that I’d be conservative for the NYC area.  Now the higher elevations 25 miles NW of NYC, they could get bombed depending on how quickly it comes together.  

• Like 2

There are 3 things that would make me go more conservative for NYC metro. First their climo in the metro isn’t that good in March either  NYCs biggest Mar snow since the superstorm is 8” in 2018.  Before 93 you have to go back to the 60s to get double digits!  One 10”+ storm in 50 years kinda indicates it’s very hard to get a huge snow into the metro this late  
The others are specific to this setup.  It’s an inverted trough setup which means there will be more of a SE flow to the NW of the secondary than typical of this was a fully developed with its own circulation.  The full phase and development of a closed circulation doesn’t happen until too late for NYC.  With a marginal airmass unless they do get bombed the flip to snow could be messy.  Lastly the guidance bombing them are doing it eith a meso scale moisture convergence band along the inverted trough.  The guidance can’t agree on if that’s real and if so where to put it.  That’s like pinning down a line of thunderstorms.  

Given all that I’d be conservative for the NYC area.  Now the higher elevations 25 miles NW of NYC, they could get bombed depending on how quickly it comes together.  

I can definitely understand NYC / LI not getting a watch… but where my folks live 35ish miles NW of the city should for sure. They are just south of Orange County. They have much better climo / higher elevation than NYC. Lived through a bunch of snowstorms up that way while NYC was mid to upper 30s with cold rain or mixing. March makes it more difficult but with 3 major models showing 8-12+, I’m shocked to see no watch or advisory. You’re definitely right about the inverted trough situation. It’s very dicey for that area

41 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z ensembles are a negative through Day 12…

Good, its over.  Donald S posted about a week ago in the NY forum that in winters with very little snowfall during the months of December, January and February the probability that March is going to save the winter is very, very low. That statistic may hold yet again.  

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, frd said:

Good, its over.  Donald S posted about a week ago in the NY forum that in winters with very little snowfall during the months of December, January and February the probability that March is going to save the winter is very, very low. That statistic may hold yet again.  

I just want us to get a measley inch to avoid the futility record of 0.2", lol I mean even a dang mixed bag could get us that!

This one at least has a high to work with

Confluence pattern got worst just like the OP euro. 2023 things. I couldn’t chase either of the Buffalo events this year and it looks like I won’t be able to get up to W MA or Catskills for tomorrow. This has been the worst winter of my life. I think 2001-02 actually had accumulating snow here. Hopefully 23-24 has an Early December event like 02-03 had heh.

At this point I want to see some hits on the ops. I'm done looking at Esembles. Even when they've looks decent it didn't matter

This is why it went farther Nw, decreased confluence because NS didn’t phase with the tpv in SE Canada. Same crap euro did (though not nearly as bad, but still negative change)

Run to run change….
770823ad00c1c1805aecee978c00b99b.jpg
666db94127eecee27e1f776fe6541220.jpg

4 minutes ago, Heisy said:

This is why it went farther Nw, decreased confluence because NS didn’t phase with the tpv in SE Canada. Same crap euro did (though not nearly as bad, but still negative change)

Run to run change….
770823ad00c1c1805aecee978c00b99b.jpg
666db94127eecee27e1f776fe6541220.jpg

That's probably the last shot at something this season. Albeit a very small shot.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic