Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/10 and beyond... all the waves threats

mappy

1 hour ago, Heisy said:

GFS has an anafrontal wave similar to 12z but better, hard to buy it though…

It was a perfect 18z run. Does exactly

what we need wave 3. Gets the NS wave out in front just enough. Then it has wave 4 but just a bit suppressed. Perfect for that range. Lol

Both those waves will adjust around every run but 18z Gfs showed how we could conceivably win with either.  This is the first time all winter we actually had a good setup.  Ya it’s sucks it comes 3 weeks into March 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

This has looked like the best period, with significant southern energy that isn't way late developing, and without NS dominance.

This is following a typical timeline progression for a blocking regime. Unfortunately we are running out of time. Weeks ago when it was becoming clear the SSW was propagating and coupling someone asked how I thought the timeline would play out. I pegged March 15-20 as when the improving climo intersects the degrading climo to produce the best threat but that the pattern itself would likely get even better after that. It’s playing out exactly that way. The best threat might come after March 20th anyways but climo is gonna be a real issue.  

The granddaddy of March winter storms in Baltimore came at the end of March 1942, known as the Palm Sunday storm. An innocuous weather forecast called for flurries in western areas, but what started as rain ended up as snow from 2 a.m. that Sunday through 9 p.m. that evening, dumping 22 inches. Cars were abandoned and streetcars and trolleys halted. One local weatherman, John R. Weeks, called the storm a "freak". Spring robins were said to be "bewildered", "bedraggled" and "forlornly" searching for food.  (Source: Baltimore Sun).  (11.5 inches National Airport (WP).

A mammoth snowstorm that struck the region over a century ago still holds the record for the highest March snowfall tally in D.C. That storm produced a foot of snow in the city March 27 to 28, 1891.  (WP).

• Like 2

This is following a typical timeline progression for a blocking regime. Unfortunately we are running out of time. Weeks ago when it was becoming clear the SSW was propagating and coupling someone asked how I thought the timeline would play out. I pegged March 15-20 as when the improving climo intersects the degrading climo to produce the best threat but that the pattern itself would likely get even better after that. It’s playing out exactly that way. The best threat might come after March 20th anyways but climo is gonna be a real issue.  

Our latitude will probably get 2 shots at something relatively significant. Waves 3 and 4, and perhaps a bomb at the tail end of the pattern as blocking breaks down. Give me two 3-6” type events and I’ll be happier than a pig in shit all things considered

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

yes but the ull never dropped that far south

But it’s too late the surface low is past us. Part of the problem is how this evolves. The angle at which the NS and SS waves interact is awful for us. The NS wave is diving in from the NW.  So imagine the flow around these waves. Initially before they phase the flow of the NS wave to the NW is interfering with the ability of the SS wave to have moisture transport to the west of the low.  Instead the moisture transport gets  focused along the inverted trough between the waves. Later once they phase a healthy CCB associated precip shield can develop to the west but look where the capture will happen?  Because of the trajectory of the two waves it’s going to place at our latitude. That’s when precip will start to expend.  But it will be past us before that happens. It’s more the way this evolves rather than the track that is the problem. 

• Like 2

@Ji the only way I could see this working were if the NS wave trends even another 100 miles south and intersects in VA, and the SS wave slows down and gets captured and stalls off the Delmarva v up near NYC But that runs contrary to every typical correction we see with these. Even if guidance was showing that now wouldn’t we still kinda know it was likely to screw us over?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Ji lastly why would you even worry about the NAM. Even the euro is dangerous here. Has a nasty track record of developing these too fast.  All other 0z guidance so far trended north. The RGEM isn’t even a big hit for NYC. It’s targeting Vermont!   

The Euro definitely does this a lot. NYC has to hate the Euro. I feel like it has shown a bunch of systems like this before to be big hits and then pulls the rug out right before the event.

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

The Euro definitely does this a lot. NYC has to hate the Euro. I feel like it has shown a bunch of systems like this before to be big hits and then pulls the rug out right before the event.

They fall for it every time. I have college friends in the NYC area. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told them be careful of the NAM and Euro in NS miller b setups but everytime they get excited by whatever the snowiest model is. 

They fall for it every time. I have college friends in the NYC area. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told them be careful of the NAM and Euro in NS miller b setups but everytime they get excited by whatever the snowiest model is. 

They’re falling apart up there. Ukmet was the peak last night showing insane totals

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic