Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about the risk for heavy snow as singular metric. I've seen this town cut through 22" snow storm twice and I was able to hit the gym later the same afternoon ... Snow, alone, is not the same beast to civility it was 40 years ago.

I’d normally agree, but I live on a busy road in ORH and this year I’ve seen worse snow removal than I have in the past 13 years living here.  For sub-warning events, too.  They’ve had a hard time hiring enough plow drivers, from what I’ve heard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Is this the longest New England thread since the mega Covid thread?

Not even close. Most recent months have cracked 200 (with no threats that happens. Mehbruary indeed.) but last January’s storm was 406!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wx_observer said:

I’d normally agree, but I live on a busy road in ORH and this year I’ve seen worse snow removal than I have in the past 13 years living here.  For sub-warning events, too.  They’ve had a hard time hiring enough plow drivers, from what I’ve heard.

Our tiny town has had a rough time with it due to lack of a driver or 2.  They have been advertising for one all winter... 

2 minutes ago, ariof said:

Not even close. Most recent months have cracked 200 (with no threats that happens. Mehbruary indeed.) but last January’s storm was 406!

Yeah... good points.  I hadn't looked.  It just felt like a long one... I've looked at so many model runs with this it feels like it has been forever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tavwtby said:

as long as the B word doesn't get tossed out there, we're good... that's like the kiss of death

"Heavy wet snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 12
  to 18 inches. Winds gusting as high as 55 mph."

Whether it is or it isn't remains to be seen, but I'm not sure what would result from this forecast besides a blizzard.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Whether it is or it isn't remains to be seen, but I'm not sure what would result from this forecast besides a blizzard.

Doesn’t it technically have to be below 20 degrees or a certain temperature?

• Weenie 1

Been absorbing the analysis here. Great discussion. Still seems like a flip of the coin as to how this ultimately plays out. Seems like higher elevations in W New England are a lock for a nice storm. Going with 8-10" here but we'll be waffling on the real solution until go-time. Wish we had a colder air mass to help make this a true all-timer.

• Like 2

Gun to head I’d go 6-12’’ here. Big boy totals in the usual favored elevation spots. Going to need consistently epic rates to score 12’’+ in the lowlands and I’m not confident in that yet.  Any 1-2sm subby zone stuff isn’t going to accumulate for shit. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I would love to see it verified, I believe I've only seen it verified a couple times inland in my life, that's usually relegated to the coast where those sustained winds are common, but near the coast with this one may not get three hours of 1/4mi vis snow, hopefully for there I'm wrong... my area doesn't see winds sustained above 35 during storms often, it's usually after when the NW screaming winds come

• Like 1

While some models have changed a bit, the weighted six-model consensus seems similar, perhaps a touch less dual-centered. More and more this looks like a two-jack storm, one near an axis NE-SW through ORH and the other from PSF to BGM. I think a few locations (maybe not airports) will break 20" with this one, big station or airport max 15-18.

The less dual centered this turns out, the stronger wind potential -- a dual centered low is always a bit bland with wind speeds, I feel. Still peak gusts over 60 mph in a dual, but potential for 80-90 with a lone center. Most likely location for these maximum wind gusts would appear to be around Plymouth MA. 

Will give the 00z suite a six-model analysis and see what the consensus looks like then. My subjective forecast aside from doing it this objective way is a 976 mb low moving past Cape into western GOM, tiny loop and back to the southeast. I think that might increase snowfalls to 20-25 inches in places but still the max axis is near ORH. It would reduce the PSF-ALB-BGM totals to 12-15 as a secondary max. 

• Like 1