Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

47 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Like where it is right now because i have a pretty good idea where its going to go.

Almost like clockwork with these.  It's starts to tickle north each run, then a late capture..... and distance cries can be heard from the south

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

This is the type of system where the Euro should still be superior to the GFS when it comes to complex coastal's.

This has a northern stream diving in trying to capture a southern stream that is running out ahead of it....that's actually pretty similar to Feb 2013....only main difference is we don't have that nice area of confluence which turned that one into a monster both by locking in better cold and increasing the ML frontogenesis. But the Euro absolutely schooled most guidance on that one. Anytime you have complex interaction with two different streams, I feel like that is where the Euro shines....but I want to be careful because we're still on the edge of the Euro's wheelhouse for that sort of thing. I'd feel better if this was 24 hours closer.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

even last year with the blizzard, the ECMWF did leagues better than any other model. the GFS was awful

pure coastals are the one thing that still remains as a sore spot for the GFS

I actually forgot another one....GFS did defeat the Euro in the 2010 Boxing Day storm. That was the other major coastal it scored the coup in. Obviously different setup though.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

This has a northern stream diving in trying to capture a southern stream that is running out ahead of it....that's actually pretty similar to Feb 2013....only main difference is we don't have that nice area of confluence which turned that one into a monster both by locking in better cold and increasing the ML frontogenesis. But the Euro absolutely schooled most guidance on that one. Anytime you have complex interaction with two different streams, I feel like that is where the Euro shines....but I want to be careful because we're still on the edge of the Euro's wheelhouse for that sort of thing. I'd feel better if this was 24 hours closer.

Yes, We start to get into the 96hrs window and you can weigh the euro a lot more, If we still have a similar solution or better tomorrow at 12z, I think we may have a pretty good idea whats going to happen other then some subtle nuances as we get closer in.

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think when it comes to complex s/w interactions, it's still generally better. Just understand it can be a little too ampy.

Absolutely, it was more a joke.  I’d still take the ECMWF over the others, maybe not as much as a decade ago but we all want that model on our side.

Euro is currently schooling the GFS right now up here in upslope snow.  Euro had a good Lise yesterday then not much, Gfs keeps showing QPF that’s not happening.

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes, there's def a significant (maybe 20%?) number of members that don't really produce much of a storm at all.

Not good at this this lead time. We'd want amped and then less amped on all members, to at least lock in the precip. Once we get the precip, I'd take our chances with having the low make it's own cold. 

• Weenie 1

I am praying the PAC can finally give us an assist. The pattern evolution across the PAC becomes quite complex with a major split flow developing. Looks like the shortwave which enhances the PNA ridge across the western comes all the way from Asia and amplifies as it digs south through the Gulf of Alaska...or slightly east. 

One thing that is great to see though or there isn't a train of shortwave energy within the northern stream across the CONUS over the weekend. Also, I would watch for confluence to arise on future model runs with PV lobe nearby

image.png.d13f964fde242c90b95420bd593c147f.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1