Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Boston is warm because of the lack of rad cooling. PVD was like -1.7 when I checked.

I was thinking the coast is also background cool in climo this time of year due to the ocean… there really haven’t been many back doors or days and days of onshore flow that’s baked into climo. So even a cooler NW flow could get BOS above normal a bit?

19 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Anybody know anything about ferns? I'm sure tamarac does. Noticed quite a few in the woods with brown stocks in the middle. I don't know if this is normal or not. Lots of weird stuff going on with plants and trees this year.

20230530_134125.jpg

Looks like cinnamon fern

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

None of my crabgrass came back this year and I don't treat. Weird

All sorts of weird stuff going on. Bittersweet dying on the vine at this time of year? Also porcelain berry which has been covering every living thing for the past few years is struggling. I should be happy with invasives dying off but what comes with it?

20230530_120656.jpg

6 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

As of 15 minutes ago, I have now been introduced to the Eastern Whip-poor-will and I hope to jesus this bird succumbs to habitat loss and goes extinct as quickly as possible.  Holy hell.

I’ve had them around here off and on.  Super annoying. 

And last night I went to let our dog out and there was some bizarre animal noise.  I put on my head lamp and there was a rabbit.  Made a super loud sound

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

None of my crabgrass came back this year and I don't treat. Weird

9 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Give it time, I don't have any yet either but it loves hot and humid.

Yea, for sure.  You never see crabgrass in May in NE, it may have sprouted, but it is tiny at this point and unnoticeable.  If you had crabgrass last year, 100% it will be back and prob worse year over year(if you don't treat it) A single plant has literally thousands of seeds that it drops. 

If you don't care about the look of it, it is indestructible and survives any Stein pattern.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kdxken said:

All sorts of weird stuff going on. Bittersweet dying on the vine at this time of year? Also porcelain berry which has been covering every living thing for the past few years is struggling. I should be happy with invasives dying off but what comes with it?

20230530_120656.jpg

the frost a few weeks ago may have had an impact on them. lots of invasive japanese knotweed still looks dead a couple weeks after the frost

37 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, for sure.  You never see crabgrass in May in NE, it may have sprouted, but it is tiny at this point and unnoticeable.  If you had crabgrass last year, 100% it will be back and prob worse year over year(if you don't treat it) A single plant has literally thousands of seeds that it drops. 

If you don't care about the look of it, it is indestructible and survives any Stein pattern.

I don't care about crab grass. You may be right. I am rushing my seasons

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I was thinking the coast is also background cool in climo this time of year due to the ocean… there really haven’t been many back doors or days and days of onshore flow that’s baked into climo. So even a cooler NW flow could get BOS above normal a bit?

Yep. But even the local coop guy here is only a hair AN. I’d say overall been near to BN here. Mostly driven by nights. 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’ve had them around here off and on.  Super annoying. 

And last night I went to let our dog out and there was some bizarre animal noise.  I put on my head lamp and there was a rabbit.  Made a super loud sound

Rabbits can make all sorts of sounds.  Big vocal range.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A friend of mine works for a DCR and she said the population is around 4800 black bears.  Obviously most of those are in the western part of the state.

30k plus in Maine.  The state allows baiting, trapping, sets a long season and has no limit on bear hunters, probably the most liberal regs south of Alaska, and the population is still increasing.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Some of you live here.

Still snow on Katahdin.  On MWN too, but the ISS path was too far north to see it.

Search "predator calls" and maybe one site will offer an audio.  Rabbits/hares make an awful scream when terrified or in pain.  Quite the contrast with their normal silence.