Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

53 minutes ago, tunafish said:

fascinating.  Is your theory that the mom will bail if she notices the cowbird?  I would call your local Audubon.

Well the cowbirds are a “parasitic” bird. The mother lays eggs in the nests of other birds and doesn’t raise them on her own until they leave the nest. The cowbird eggs tend to hatch first and grow larger more rapidly and the babies can actually toss the youngins from the other bird out of the nest. So the cowbird has a distinct advantage over the other phoebes. 

The cowbirds are native so this is a natural thing that has been happening for some time. But I’d rather lose 1 cowbird than risk losing 4 phoebes. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well the cowbirds are a “parasitic” bird. The mother lays eggs in the nests of other birds and doesn’t raise them on her own until they leave the nest. The cowbird eggs tend to hatch first and grow larger more rapidly and the babies can actually toss the youngins from the other bird out of the nest. So the cowbird has a distinct advantage over the other phoebes. 

The cowbirds are native so this is a natural thing that has been happening for some time. But I’d rather lose 1 cowbird than risk losing 4 phoebes. 

Wow..  did not know that.  

I'd probably find a "safe" spot for the cowbird egg and see what happens.  at lease the phoebe's will be good.

Catbirds have adapted to recognize the cowbird eggs and will get rid of them from their nest.  I'm not sure if other species also recognize them.  But it's best to leave the cowbird egg because removing it might trigger the phoebe to abandon the nest altogether.  Birds are weird like that.  We have approximately 3 to 5 mating pairs of cowbirds roaming the yard this time of year, and they seem to always be hunting for bugs, which has benefits.  The only birds I actively "discourage" from nesting are the English sparrows.  When I see them claim one of the nesting boxes I will wait a few weeks and then cover the hole so that they move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QCD17 said:

Catbirds have adapted to recognize the cowbird eggs and will get rid of them from their nest.  I'm not sure if other species also recognize them.  But it's best to leave the cowbird egg because removing it might trigger the phoebe to abandon the nest altogether.  Birds are weird like that.  We have approximately 3 to 5 mating pairs of cowbirds roaming the yard this time of year, and they seem to always be hunting for bugs, which has benefits.  The only birds I actively "discourage" from nesting are the English sparrows.  When I see them claim one of the nesting boxes I will wait a few weeks and then cover the hole so that they move on.

Blue Jays and Robins frequently toss Cowbird eggs out of their nests too. Cowbirds seems to love Warbler nests....though the Yellow Warbler in specific sometimes just build another layer of nest over the Cowbird eggs....but the other warblers rarely do this. 

Agreed on not touching Cowbird eggs. I've heard of so many stories of birds abandoning their nest when someone tried to "Help" out and remove the Cowbird eggs. I never read of a great explanation, but one of the ones that make the most sense is that apparently the birds will monitor the mass of their eggs and if they change substantially, they just abandon the nest and start a new one.

Hopefully the Phoebe doesn't do this.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:54 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Here are all the birds spotted at the feeder in my backyard along the woods 

image.thumb.jpeg.75f5c60e3af04caa58dbb6b5bba19402.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1ef825a6e2bd352dccc41d537356ae3e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6a7cc8411e3ce9eb529685a99574d6ac.jpeg

Thanks for this I had no idea what the oven birds were called. I have seen all of these here plus downy woodpeckers and pileated woodpeckers. The absolute winner bird is a very rare albino sparrow. She has nested in a Alberta Dwarf tree in my yard. 2 years still can't get a closeup pic.

220px-Downy_Woodpecker-Female.jpg

315873_standard_t1100.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks for this I had no idea what the oven birds were called. I have seen all of these here plus downy woodpeckers and pleated woodpeckers. The absolute winner bird is a very rare albino sparrow. She has nested in a Alberta Dwarf tree in my yard. 2 years still can't get a closeup pic.

220px-Downy_Woodpecker-Female.jpg

315873_standard_t1100.jpeg

That’s an awesome looking bird, my wife would flip if she saw one of those around lol. Interestingly enough, we’ve never seen or heard a woodpecker around here in the 4+ years we’ve lived here. Strange 

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That’s an awesome looking bird, my wife would flip if she saw one of those around lol. Interestingly enough, we’ve never seen or heard a woodpecker around here in the 4+ years we’ve lived here. Strange 

Thousands of bug infested dead and almost dead trees here. Tons of food

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Lots of pileateds up here, but we put suet out too. 

I think my favorite bird I’ve seen at the feeder is this guy. Only saw them for a couple of days back in 2016 and then never again.

image.png

That's amazing.  What a treat.

I caught these guys hanging out together in May 2019.  They stayed at ground level for a good 5 minutes.  Just happened to look out a second story window and they caught my eye.

DSCN6098.JPG

• Like 2

Saw a young black bear today while out with the dog.  Watched him for a long time (maybe 20-30 minutes even), just grazing, rolling around in the grass, etc.  Eventually the dog spotted him and barked which caused him to take off.  Didn't see any other cubs near him or mom, thought it might have been first summer on his own.

Love bears, pissed that the dog barked, she was good for so long just sort of watching.

2L8A8560-1-2.thumb.jpg.322e6a3e81b83103e35a8795d537bbe3.jpg

2L8A8566-1-2.thumb.jpg.4b0898582557600fb9b6540488ebcc0d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Just pulled the first tick of the year off my leg, must have just got there, it wasn't attached yet. I sprayed around the perimeter of the house yesterday with Demon and treated the lawn with the Bayer product. Also got a new Seresto collar for the dog, still I got one.

My wife had one in her hair the other day. Lots of people have been posting around here about ticks. They ride in on the dog, she hops on the couch…

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My wife had one in her hair the other day. Lots of people have been posting around here about ticks. They ride in on the dog, she hops on the couch…

The cat jumped on the bed and my wife found three crawling on the bed, she got them before they found her as they surely would have. I'm going to have to stay on top of pesticide this year if the ticks are going to be bad, the winter did us no favors in the department.

How do you treat your dog? I've been using the Seresto collar with great success last few years.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

The cat jumped on the bed and my wife found three crawling on the bed, she got them before they found her as they surely would have. I'm going to have to stay on top of pesticide this year if the ticks are going to be bad, the winter did us no favors in the department.

How do you treat your dog? I've been using the Seresto collar with great success last few years.

We did the Seresto collar for years, but have since done Brevecto (edible that works for 3 months at a time). I think they all work fairly well, but my lab swims and is in the mud so much the collar would get filthy.  It’s very effective though.

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Mostly sound, and I believe some pictures. You record through the app and it picks up the birds around the feeder.

The bald eagle wasn’t at the feeder lol. We have a couple that hang around in the land behind the house, pretty cool. Beautiful birds 

I saw one on our street on top of a hemlock. Was really cool to see. 

I saw a black crowned night Heron recently, but I guess they are common near rivers this time of year due to herring. We have a lot of herring around here.

16 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Yes, when I was in college. I heard that they cracked down on all the shenanigans recently..it used to be a zoo from what I remember. 

Any  good places  to stay?

I heard it's hard to get a hotel room near there during the time.

4 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Any  good places  to stay?

I heard it's hard to get a hotel room near there during the time.

Plenty of places within a 15 min drive or so. I know there is a Marriot in Peabody which is like 10-15 min away. Also, I wouldn't drive there either. I guess you could if you had to, but I know they discourage it.