• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Not the place for it ... but a quick comment on the Bruins.  I frankly thought they were in trouble back whence they split the first 2 games at home to allow 1-1 going back south.

mm... that didn't sit well with me.  I lowered my expectations at that point in time. Admittedly ... there was optimistic when they got a 3-1 lead.   

But then I was summarily checked out, feeling as though the whole thing was just as predictable - we knew...  as the 2004 ALCS debacle. Same exact sensation - we knew it was over when the Bruins lost game 5 ... Wasn't going to matter what the win/loss record was at the time. The rest was academic. 

So.. being psycho-babble prepared as I was, I wasn't terribly offended or even a little bit surprised by last night's destiny.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What an NWS office right there if they got 265.1” seasonal snowfall out their front door.  That’s crazy. 

Not to take anything away from Marquette, but the NWS office is in Negaunee, just outside Marquette city but the elevation/upslope conditions make it a snow microclimate. The NWS office probably averages twice what the city of Marquette averages. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Not to take anything away from Marquette, but the NWS office is in Negaunee, just outside Marquette city but the elevation/upslope conditions make it a snow microclimate. The NWS office probably averages twice what the city of Marquette averages. 

What’s their elevation? And what’s the lake level elevation?

That is true. I use to drive between Marquette and Hancock frequently for work and it always struck me the elevation difference. From HWY 41 in Ishpeming you look down into Marquette and then out onto Lake Superior. Marquette is a fun town. Always liked staying there. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, powderfreak said:

What’s their elevation? And what’s the lake level elevation?

Marquette is 666' while Negaunee is 1371'. Lake Superior is about 600'. It's a combination of elevation and upslope why they get so much more in Negaunee and Ishpeming, although it seems almost unreal when you witness the yearly difference. I was in the area in february 2022. Marquette had probably 20" and Negaunee 40" depth. Took this pic.

received_373929380860640.jpeg

• Like 5

Saw our first bear of the season on our property last night.  Mom and 2 or 3 cubs.  Hard to see (it was dark and we saw them in our car headlights after an event).  The cubs were pretty small.

A neighbor had another solitary bear in her back yard last week.  It is smart enough to stand up behind a tree trunk to hide as a car approched.  She caught it on a Ring or whatever camera.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2023 at 10:11 PM, dendrite said:

Negaunee and Ishpeming are unreal. We talked about moving there once. lol

I've thought the same thing. I bet that closed Calumet Air Force Station up on the Keweenaw is a tremendous weenie spot too. But if I could move anywhere it would probably be Baker Mountain in Washington State.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Our owner went away for the week and left us his Chevy Bolt.  I’ve never driven an all electric car before.  Holy shit on the acceleration!  The first quick left I took off of a stop sign I burned rubber. Lol

For the newest version, it can be had for super cheap with the tax incentive.  However, they are discontinuing it so they can use the plant for more trucks/SUVs.

Too bad...it is a nice little car for some

58 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Our owner went away for the week and left us his Chevy Bolt.  I’ve never driven an all electric car before.  Holy shit on the acceleration!  The first quick left I took off of a stop sign I burned rubber. Lol

Too bad GM is stopping production of the Bolt.

https://insideevs.com/news/664058/chevrolet-bolt-eveuv-discontinued-2023/

So I have an eastern phoebe brooding under the roof of my chicken run. I went up to check the eggs a bit ago and noticed a speckled egg mixed in that belongs to a brown headed cowbird. 

What’s the protocol on that? Should I remove the egg so that the phoebes have a better chance at survival or let nature be?

image.jpeg

On 5/12/2023 at 8:17 AM, HoarfrostHubb said:

Saw our first bear of the season on our property last night.  Mom and 2 or 3 cubs.  Hard to see (it was dark and we saw them in our car headlights after an event).  The cubs were pretty small.

A neighbor had another solitary bear in her back yard last week.  It is smart enough to stand up behind a tree trunk to hide as a car approched.  She caught it on a Ring or whatever camera.

My brother in law got a mama with 3 cubs on one of his game cameras Sunday.

21 hours ago, dendrite said:

So I have an eastern phoebe brooding under the roof of my chicken run. I went up to check the eggs a bit ago and noticed a speckled egg mixed in that belongs to a brown headed cowbird. 

What’s the protocol on that? Should I remove the egg so that the phoebes have a better chance at survival or let nature be?

image.jpeg

fascinating.  Is your theory that the mom will bail if she notices the cowbird?  I would call your local Audubon.