Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

46 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I will say we have a lot of mom and pop coffee/donut/bagel places, but they aren’t cheap! I’ll pay a few extra bucks, but some of the prices are mind blowing. Depends on how “trendy” some places are too. 

Yeah the land of $15 breakfast sandwiches and stuff like that.

9 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

That's insane.. I'll take cumbys anyday over that crap

You realize I’m not paying $13 for a jumbo coffee right?  $13 buys enough beans for weeks of coffee daily.   I’ve had Cumberland farms when I had to and disliked it.

• Like 1

I’m in Lake Placid for the weekend. After dinner I took a weenie ride over to Saranac Lake. I didn’t drive over to the airport but I couldn’t really see why tho place radiates so well. I guess it is in an elevated bowl but the high peaks are southeast of here and the other Mts. Don’t seem that high. Maybe if I had driven to the airport it would have been more apparent. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mreaves said:

I’m in Lake Placid for the weekend. After dinner I took a weenie ride over to Saranac Lake. I didn’t drive over to the airport but I couldn’t really see why tho place radiates so well. I guess it is in an elevated bowl but the high peaks are southeast of here and the other Mts. Don’t seem that high. Maybe if I had driven to the airport it would have been more apparent. 

IZG radiates really well with mountains to the west but only Pleasant Mt to the east, and it's 1,100 feet lower (1200 if S.L. obs are at Adirondack Reg. AP).  IZG is also a couple dozen miles closer to the equator and lots closer to the Atlantic heat sink, so no wonder S.L. gets siggy colder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

https://ambientweather.com/ws-2000-smart-weather-station

just bought this. My old system shit the bed after almost a decade.

At least now I’ll be able to transmit to various sites 

I have a WS-7078 that my wife got me for Christmas a couple of years ago.  I like it and it seems to be pretty accurate.  The batteries have a decent lifespan.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Very nice.  I have the ws-2902 and it works great.  I wish it had a separate outdoor temp sensor though.  I mounted mine to my roof to get better wind readings, so my temps suffer a bit (not as much as I would have thought though).  I have another gauges for my temps for better accuracy.

19 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That's a more souped up version of the one I currently have. No complaints here with the system itself. My main issue is the my mounting location which I have to fix, especially for wind readings. I also have a +3-4° bias due to proximity to my asphalt roof, so I need to look into a 6ft mounting pole for both wind and temp.  It was really deflating during the Oct 2020? wind storm when my max reading peaked out at 38.6...when we had gusts between 75-85 in the area. 

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

That's a more souped up version of the one I currently have. No complaints here with the system itself. My main issue is the my mounting location which I have to fix, especially for wind readings. I also have a +3-4° bias due to proximity to my asphalt roof, so I need to look into a 6ft mounting pole for both wind and temp.  It was really deflating during the Oct 2020? wind storm when my max reading peaked out at 38.6...when we had gusts between 75-85 in the area. 

I bought a mounting pole that’s like 3-4 feet and plan on mounting it off the roof of my shed. So the actual system itself will probably be like 12-15 feet off the ground 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Nice! I’m a huge pinball fan.  
New England does not have many good pinball halls. 

I wish I had bought one 10 years ago when used machines were half the price they are now.

Have you ever been to Funspot in NH?

And I know it isn't pinball but have you been to The Quarters in Hadley?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Have you ever been to Funspot in NH?

And I know it isn't pinball but have you been to The Quarters in Hadley?

No to fun spot yes to quarters. 
I recently found out about a big pinball hall in Manchester Vermont.  It’s about 75 or 80 minutes from here and only open Friday to Sunday but it is $25 for unlimited play and they have VT beer on tap. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

No to fun spot yes to quarters. 
I recently found out about a big pinball hall in Manchester Vermont.  It’s about 75 or 80 minutes from here and only open Friday to Sunday but it is $25 for unlimited play and they have VT beer on tap. 

Canobie Lake Park also used to have a bunch of pinball machines as of a couple of years ago.  I assume they still do

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Canobie Lake Park also used to have a bunch of pinball machines as of a couple of years ago.  I assume they still do

The problem with pinball is there are not a lot of good technicians so a lot of venues shy away from having machines.

there are tons of new machines that have come out over the past 10 years. Pinball is huge right now and used machines are stupid expensive. If you can afford it, you’re  better off buying a brand new one for 6-8k, 
they don’t lose their value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The problem with pinball is there are not a lot of good technicians so a lot of venues shy away from having machines.

there are tons of new machines that have come out over the past 10 years. Pinball is huge right now and used machines are stupid expensive. If you can afford it, you’re  better off buying a brand new one for 6-8k, 
they don’t lose their value.

A few years ago, when we went out to Vegas, we went to the pinball hall of fame. That was really cool. Just a huge warehouse with arcade games dating way back to the early 20th century. You could play them all too. I’m not even a huge pinball or arcade guy but I loved it. 

• Like 1

Since I like to Follow global finance and monetary policy closely (don’t ask why) I found it Kind of hilarious to hear a very experienced couple of Russian personalities that have tricked world leaders to taking calls from them ..posing as government officials themselves ... had a long interview with Fed Chief Jerome Powell and parts of this prank (Powell thought he was talking to  Ukraine President zelensky hahaha  as he gives him his plan for monetary policy 

Happened in January

Part of it was released, nothing earth shattering mentioned (thou when not in public light he spoke more candidly and didn’t tip toe as much around the fact the Fed is trying to slow economy , slow hiring (increase layoffs temporarily) and lower wage growth ...because those are the tools they have to fight decades long inflation apparently 

• Like 1