Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

DDs is ass. Pure ass. 

DD started in RI and was great. Excellent coffee huge sandwiches and donuts now it's corporate America but they hit the Niche first. We have Bakers Dozen chain here same MO great local company goes big and ruins there product. We mom and pop donuts and breakfast sandwiches. 

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

DD sucks as bad as overpriced Starbucks but to each his own. 

I find Starbucks French roast keurig pods acceptable…and dirt cheap for a box of 72 at Costco when on sale (40 cents per pod). Brewing 365 French Roast is better though.   I’m as much a coffee snob as you all are beer snobs.  

• Like 1

Starbucks flat white is not bad. But you can’t beat Cumbies 99 cents. Make it yourself ice coffee, 3 sugars light. But I generally drink hot coffee black, no sugar. 
McDonalds makes pretty good coffee. It used to be awful, but I find it really good since they changed to Newmans 6-7 years ago.

Theres a greasy spoon diner in Whitinsville that makes damn good coffee. Open 6-2, cash only.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Dunkin’ Donuts is pure trash. And I mean that. Their food and coffee is disgusting.

I like honey dew personally. We have a locally owned one down the street from us and it’s awesome. Huge bagels and awesome breakfast sandwiches 

Love honey dew bagels

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

DD started in RI and was great. Excellent coffee huge sandwiches and donuts now it's corporate America but they hit the Niche first. We have Bakers Dozen chain here same MO great local company goes big and ruins there product. We mom and pop donuts and breakfast sandwiches. 

I believe Dunkin Donuts began in Quincy MA.    Unless you meant when Dunks first arrived in RI?

They used to be good, especially their donuts. 

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

I find Starbucks French roast keurig pods acceptable…and dirt cheap for a box of 72 at Costco when on sale (40 cents per pod). Brewing 365 French Roast is better though.   I’m as much a coffee snob as you all are beer snobs.  

Drinking a Starbucks Sumatra blend from our machine now. Alternate between that and their Cafe Verona most days.  

10 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Dunkin’ Donuts is pure trash. And I mean that. Their food and coffee is disgusting.

I like honey dew personally. We have a locally owned one down the street from us and it’s awesome. Huge bagels and awesome breakfast sandwiches 

Good coffee there.  I used to like their cinnamon sticks.  None near me sadly

13 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

SB is awful . It’s no wonder they are all closing.. even more so with their political beliefs Dunks is fantastic . America 100% runs on Dunks 

Lol...   Revenue by year.    in millions of dollars.  Doesn't look like they are doing badly

2022 $32,250
2021 $29,061
2020 $23,518
2019 $26,509
2018 $24,720
2017 $22,387
2016 $21,316
2015 $19,163

Number stores also increasing

As of January 2, 2022, Starbucks had 34,317 open stores across the world, just under 17,000 in the US. The number looks poised to keep increasing after years of steady growth from Starbucks. It added 484 net new stores the first quarter of 2022 and 538 the previous quarter. It added 1,173 net new stores in the fiscal 2021 year, and 1,404 in the 2020 fiscal year, according to end-of-year data provided by Starbucks. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’m a fan of Jim’s Organic myself. 

15 hours ago, weathafella said:

I never get coffee out.  If I’m in a rush I do a Starbucks French roast keurig or if time permits brew WF 365 French Roast.  24 oz now up to $13.

Yikes!  Medium (12-14 oz) hazelnut from DD has gotten more expensive but still <$3.  Only buy coffee there (or anywhere) when traveling, however.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I buy Dean’s Beans organic fair trade or when it’s on sale,  Pete’s French Roast or Maj. Dickason’s blend.  Always whole bean, always grind fresh before using a metal pour over filter or French press. 
On rare occasions I’ll break out the 1940s all glass vacuum pot.  

This is the way.

Pete's is great, and a value when it's (often) on sale.

• Like 2