• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring 2023 Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I just watched an episode of “hoarders” . It was actually very sad , and the house seemed to be one of the rare cases where there wasn’t any bugs, mice , human excrement  . A guy trying to cope with his wife’s long sickness and passion who shopped and hoarded into 150 k debt  . Ok , so anyway I googled worst borders and if you have a very strong stomach take a gander of this. Again , disturbing 

https://www.mandatory.com/living/1067536-11-hoarder-cases-that-will-make-you-puke

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I just watched an episode of “hoarders” . It was actually very sad , and the house seemed to be one of the rare cases where there wasn’t any bugs, mice , human excrement  . A guy trying to cope with his wife’s long sickness and passion who shopped and hoarded into 150 k debt  . Ok , so anyway I googled worst borders and if you have a very strong stomach take a gander of this. Again , disturbing 

https://www.mandatory.com/living/1067536-11-hoarder-cases-that-will-make-you-puke

I've been in some nasty homes over the years, two hoarding sisters where I had to walk through a path throughout the house, but the worst was one in Springfield. An elderly couple hoarded cats, they had over 50 of them and the wife was hospitalized, soon thereafter the husband was too. They were both in for a couple months while the cats were alone in the house. Eventually the authorities took the cats away. When I was there the wife had passed but the husband was alive and living in the house. You have no idea what over 50 cats will do in a house for weeks without being fed. The smell almost knocked me out and the cat piss curled the Formica countertops. They also pissed along the baseboards which were bubbled up. The old man was living in those conditions. 

A year later I got an order to appraise the house again, by this time the old man had passed, and a contractor purchased the house and gutted it and renovated it, it was in good shape this time.

32 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I've been in some nasty homes over the years, two hoarding sisters where I had to walk through a path throughout the house, but the worst was one in Springfield. An elderly couple hoarded cats, they had over 50 of them and the wife was hospitalized, soon thereafter the husband was too. They were both in for a couple months while the cats were alone in the house. Eventually the authorities took the cats away. When I was there the wife had passed but the husband was alive and living in the house. You have no idea what over 50 cats will do in a house for weeks without being fed. The smell almost knocked me out and the cat piss curled the Formica countertops. They also pissed along the baseboards which were bubbled up. The old man was living in those conditions. 

A year later I got an order to appraise the house again, by this time the old man had passed, and a contractor purchased the house and gutted it and renovated it, it was in good shape this time.

Cat pee is unrivaled. It’s 100x worse than dogs. My buddy had a cat that became sick at an older age and had a lot of accidents on the rug in their house. They had the carpets professionally cleaned several times after the car passed, and the smell never really went away.

They ended up having to rip the carpet up and even replace a lot of the subfloor in the worst spots.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 8:30 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My wife has an 18 rogue that is paid off, so we’d have a sizable down payment. We found a used one she likes with 6k miles like 20 mins away. 

its 31k, so not horrible, at least used 

One thing that is awesome is the Ford Pass Ap. Let's you access your car from your phone. One awesome feature for those up north is you can schedule the car to start every hour and run for 5 mins or whatever you set. 

20230415_180627.thumb.jpg.d6ecc9140865265918be61f80656a873.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BrianW said:

One thing that is awesome is the Ford Pass Ap. Let's you access your car from your phone. One awesome feature for those up north is you can schedule the car to start every hour and run for 5 mins or whatever you set. 

20230415_180627.thumb.jpg.d6ecc9140865265918be61f80656a873.jpg

So we went today to look at a used one. Sold 15 mins before we got there. We were getting ready to leave and the general manager came out and asked us if we’d buy the new one in the showroom if he sold us it at the price of the used one we wanted.

We made a deal. Got a new 2023 bronco sport for 32,500, down from 36,900 list.

And we got an additional $750 off as a Ford rebate, so really $31,750

• Like 5

On 4/16/2023 at 11:09 PM, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I wondered who was hogging all of the sex dolls.

15 or so years ago I worked on a renovation project for a housing authority.  One of the apartments that I had to survey was of a hoarder woman who had died within.  No joke...when you entered the front door you would travel through a maze of stacked newspapers (stacked as high as this woman could reach up to stack...just short of 6 feet or so).  Around various corners of the maze would be nodes where a table may be buried, or a tight space for a chair, or an arm of a couch would be sticking out.  This went all through the living room, and eventually the rest of the 2 bedroom apartment, with the maze stopping at narrow hallways, then continuing into the bedrooms, and even the kitchen.  Sh.it was insane. 

...Oh, and there were dead cats, feces, food, and of course the place smelled like death.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wife and I had round 2 of the shingles vaccination.   Round one wasn’t very pleasant so I was hoping the second would be better. 

Wrong.   Starting around 11PM I had the worst shivers, muscle aches, headache etc.  I feel nauseous.   Did not affect my wife nearly as much.   
Hopeful it passes soon. 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wife and I had round 2 of the shingles vaccination.   Round one wasn’t very pleasant so I was hoping the second would be better. 

Wrong.   Starting around 11PM I had the worst shivers, muscle aches, headache etc.  I feel nauseous.   Did not affect my wife nearly as much.   
Hopeful it passes soon. 

Shingrix #2 gave me moderate soreness around the injection site, which is a big reaction for me.  Had a COVID booster and another pick (Prevnar? can't recall) in the opposite arm at the same time, with the usual no issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

I wondered who was hogging all of the sex dolls.

15 or so years ago I worked on a renovation project for a housing authority.  One of the apartments that I had to survey was of a hoarder woman who had died within.  No joke...when you entered the front door you would travel through a maze of stacked newspapers (stacked as high as this woman could reach up to stack...just short of 6 feet or so).  Around various corners of the maze would be nodes where a table may be buried, or a tight space for a chair, or an arm of a couch would be sticking out.  This went all through the living room, and eventually the rest of the 2 bedroom apartment, with the maze stopping at narrow hallways, then continuing into the bedrooms, and even the kitchen.  Sh.it was insane. 

...Oh, and there were dead cats, feces, food, and of course the place smelled like death.  

That's exactly like the one I did with the sisters whose parents had passed. House could have been really nice, it was newer and had an inground pool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hopeful it passes soon. 

My doctor keeps encouraging me to get the shingles shot but I've heard stories like yours, so I've been hesitant to get it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hopeful it passes soon. 

It’s brutal . People say it’s worse than a mild case of shingles 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Are those shots for those who have not had chicken pox? Didn't really know Shingles vax is a thing.

i never had chix pox, and got the c-pox vaccine 10 or so years ago. and my doctor strongly recommended that I get the shingles vaccine, specifically Shingrix

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I had chicken pox as a baby. Think the vaccine was just in the process of rolling out when I was born.

wonder if I’ll need it 

I'm just surprised because I have never heard this mentioned anywhere until I read this thread lol. Is shingles running around rampant?

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm just surprised because I have never heard this mentioned anywhere until I read this thread lol. Is shingles running around rampant?

all I can say is, based on what I have heard form people that i know who have had shingles-get the vaccine. a day or 2 of side-effects beats the hell out of shingles, which can be the gift that keeps on giving. and you can get shingles multiple times (although it is rare).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought you had less of a chance to get it? I have no idea. 

It is the chicken pox for Adults, ha.

“A reactivation of the chickenpox virus in the body, causing a painful rash.
Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. It isn't known what reactivates the virus.”

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It is the chicken pox for Adults, ha.

“A reactivation of the chickenpox virus in the body, causing a painful rash.
Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. It isn't known what reactivates the virus.”

I've just never heard this being a thing, so I'm surprised people getting vaxed for it. A flu or covid vax etc I get. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I've just never heard this being a thing, so I'm surprised people getting vaxed for it. A flu or covid vax etc I get. 

It can pop up in people who had mild case of chicken pox, but not the vaccine. I had a very mild case of shingles a few years ago when I was in my 20s, and my brother just did around 30. I think we're more agressive with the chicken pox vax today in kids than back in the 90s. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s brutal . People say it’s worse than a mild case of shingles 

It definitely varies by person.   My wife had almost no reaction.  I had a bigger reaction than her for the first one as well. But this second one is nasty.   Having uncontrolled shakes for hours last night was bizarre.  

Feeling a bit better now.  

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Shingrix #2 gave me moderate soreness around the injection site, which is a big reaction for me.  Had a COVID booster and another pick (Prevnar? can't recall) in the opposite arm at the same time, with the usual no issues.

Pretty much the same with me in regards to vaccines.  My wife, however is a different story.  She had the pneumococcal injection last week and still has some pain.  That happens to her with most vaccinations.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

https://medlineplus.gov/shingles.html#:~:text=Shingles (herpes zoster) is an,cause problems for many years.

What is shingles?

Shingles (herpes zoster) is an infection that causes a painful rash. It is caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV). This is the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you have chickenpox, the virus stays in your body. It may not cause problems for many years. But as you get older, the virus may become active again and cause shingles.