Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 4 2023 Storm Obs

MaineJayhawk

Just now, jbenedet said:

It's beautiful out with paste on everything and sky brightening up. Pleasent to be outside; not cold. Was sweating while doing some light shoveling. 

Cleaned off the car with 3 gentle pushes. Heavy wet snow can have its benefits clean up benefits if you beat the refreeze.

Stay dangerous 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kitz Craver said:

So after the epic model debate the other day, I’m not so sure the EURO caved to the GFS…

I think the euro mostly lost that one. GFS was more right than wrong on the evolution of the storm. The problem for spots on the Line is they needed the GFS to be 100% right, not win a 70/30 compromise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think the euro mostly lost that one. GFS was more right than wrong on the evolution of the storm. The problem for spots on the Line is they needed the GFS to be 100% right, not win a 70/30 compromise. 

Sure, my statement was from a MBY viewpoint 

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes.

Yeah GFS was too far south and cold, but not to the same degree the euro was too far north and warm. Really I’d say not until about 36-48 hours out did the euro start getting into a spot where I think it performed pretty well. 

I do think the GFS should get less weight inside of 48h because it hasn’t been that good in the shorter term. But in that 60-96 hour wheelhouse it has been pretty good most of this winter. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah GFS was too far south and cold, but not to the same degree the euro was too far north and warm. Really I’d say not until about 36-48 hours out did the euro start getting into a spot where I think it performed pretty well. 

I do think the GFS should get less weight inside of 48h because it hasn’t been that good in the shorter term. But in that 60-96 hour wheelhouse it has been pretty good most of this winter. 

I agree with this surmise ( bold ).   In fact I was thinking about this very aspect this morning. How the d(correction) aspect, the Euro's total 7 day aggregate may have had to correct more, but ... once in short range?   it seemed to perform pretty good/better than the GFS. 

Now...I'm not willing to give it 'complete' credit inside of 48 hours though, because it had rain to southern NH.  I'm not raining here... at all. It just snow too wet accumulate, under a day glow Mar 4 overcast.  It's actually cold enough to have been a much better player, if the GFS dynamics verified as far S as it had.  It's basically busted N of the GFS the way it looks to me.   

• Like 1