Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Normal 850 temps are 0 in mid-march for DCA, as opposed to about -4 in Jan.

So they need to be below normal to support snow as long as the BL is saturated and/or isothermal

Good point…just because the average surface temp is 52 doesn’t mean you need a -20 airmass.  I’d the avg 850 temp is near 0 a more mundane below avg airmass can work because during heavy precip the column from 700 down is typically close to isothermal. The reason avg surface temps are so high is when it’s sunny and we’re not in a cold regime temps will spike into the 60s and 70s easily in mid March. Even in a cold regime a sunny day will get into the upper 40s. But when it’s precipitating it still doesn’t take a super anomalous airmass to get cold enough to snow until closer to April.  

The main reason we lose snow in March is we lose marginal events (which we seem to have lost all the time anyways) and minor light events won’t work. How often do we get flush hits any time of year?  But most of the time what would be a flush hit in January will still work in mid March.  It’s just rare. But so is snow in January lately lol. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just had a chance to look at last nights Euro. Seems like a more legit scenario than what the GFS is spitting out. Why would the Storm just sit and rot in the midwest without coming east. It also helps that the Euro buries me. So yeah.

That’s exactly what I thought.  If you get buried and I get rain…likely…then I can come visit..short drive…next time there is a more east solution and I get buried you come here…unlikely 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One thing in our favor is the MJO.  First time it forecasted to go into more favorable phases and held.  There were a lot of skepticism two weeks ago…
6F0CDDFD-336E-4C23-8950-FD1169206CCA.png.da5c9b19036d6ddbc3d5f3901432d22f.png

That’s why euro made more sense the gfs. Of course the best model this year is the non snowy model
  • Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic