Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

telling people not to completely abandon multiple days’ worth of thinking because of like 3 OP runs is weenie-ish?

ok dude. sometimes you have to stick to your guns a bit and let the cards fall further. that’s how forecasting works

I think you’re ignoring my point. I actually completely agree with/respect sticking to your guns. I was referring to you holding out hope for storms that were looking bleak all winter…pattern changes, etc. 

edit to add…no one is going to disagree with a met publicly on thread who says a favorable outcome could be in the cards, it fuels the snow lovers dreams. 

• Weenie 3

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

telling people not to completely abandon multiple days’ worth of thinking because of like 3 OP runs is weenie-ish?

ok dude. sometimes you have to stick to your guns a bit and let the cards fall further. that’s how forecasting works

That’s fair.  This run was so bad it almost makes one think it’s way off the mark.  It’s Friday…8 days…op run…we wait and expect the worst but pray for better

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

Maybe if it keeps shifting west over the next 20 runs it’ll end back on the east coast?  

D817EE61-CDDD-4D07-9A8B-B63159D722D6.gif

That output is kind of ridiculous for South Dakota.. areas in the Western part of the state snow from hr90 to hr 234 without much of a break lol. Wild solution

• Like 1

Ukie, Icon, EPS, Euro, two runs of the GFS, Canadian (which is the closest run of day to an event is still inland)… pretty much everything is leaning towards ejecting the energy as one strong wave now and there’s nothing kknocking down ridge.

You def nailed the pattern, and you’re one of my favorite posters on here. However, the data is screaming at us today. It’s been the same theme all year around this time frame. At some point gotta realize things aren’t looking good.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

That output is kind of ridiculous for South Dakota.. areas in the Western part of the state snow from hr90 to hr 234 without much of a break lol. Wild solution

Been a Midwest/West Coast year. Cant really be shocked if it stays that way from beginning to end. When Vegas and LA have more snow than DC it really isnt our year. 

sfav2_CONUS_2022093012_to_2023030312.png

• Like 2

Just now, Heisy said:

Ukie, Icon, EPS, Euro, two runs of the GFS, Canadian (which is the closest run of day to an event is still inland)… pretty much everything is leaning towards ejecting the energy as one strong wave now and there’s nothing kknocking down ridge.

You def nailed the pattern, and you’re one of my favorite posters on here. However, the data is screaming at us today. It’s been the same theme all year around this time frame. At some point gotta realize things aren’t looking good.

Well there’s also the seasonal trend. We’ve seen similar looks modeled, and have them knocked down in a fashion similar to how guidance has done today. Wouldn’t be fair to say anyone saw it coming unless they were being pessimistic about the winter but we shouldn’t be surprised as our own winter is the analog

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

System gets so intense it tries to obliterate the block and reconfigure the entire longwave pattern over N America. Oh joy:facepalm:

There is nothing really useful about this "block". Its orientation is shifted 90 degrees from ideal, as it links with the amped ridge in front of that monster trough. Essentially a full latitude ridge.

1678417200-by3M8Ql7cJs.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

throw in the towel at 8 days if you want, but don’t come back if things become more favorable. there are going to be many changes 

I wish people would actually listen and follow this sage advice 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Nothing is etched in stone. My observations are specific to this run/recent runs. In general though, everyone has seen this movie play out over and over this winter and it always ends the same. Thus the pessimism. Pattern is somewhat more favorable, and given all the chaos, there is no reason to think the timing and degree of interaction between the key waves is nailed down by guidance 7 days out. Plenty of time.

Exactly! I commend your posting style. You're always reasonable and logical. Unfortunately the crying and sulking by the usual suspects have at times made the thread unbearable. I just sounded a little like Howard lol.

I would argue that with a more favorable pattern establishing itself things can easily change back to a very good look even as late as early next week. Despite the seasonal trend this is definitely a much different pattern taking over so expecting the same outcome may be the easy of waythinking but will probably end up wrong as we should have multiple legitimate threats through the end of the month with the usual caveats being applied especially for the cities and low lands.

Living and dying by each individual operational run has seemed to reach and all time low by some of our more seasoned posters. Paranoia at its finest. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

also, I don’t need anyone acting like they “saw this coming” for any reason other than pessimism because a) the mood was near ecstatic like 12 hours ago and b) we are eight days out! things will change! christ.

y'all will start freaking out immediately after a few bad op runs - don't count ur chickens before they hatch and this goes both ways

The long range threats this year have all been the same, 14 day pattern looks good, day 10 looks amazing with KU inbound, day 9 everyt op goes to shit but the ensembles will save use, day 8 temps in the 60’s and whatever storm there is cuts to Minneapolis while we enjoy 3 minutes of sleet then rain.  Wash. Rinse. Repeat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Exactly! I commend your posting style. You're always reasonable and logical. Unfortunately the crying and sulking by the usual suspects have at times made the thread unbearable. I just sounded a little like Howard lol.

I would argue that with a more favorable pattern establishing itself things can easily change back to a very good look even as late as early next week. Despite the seasonal trend this is definitely a much different pattern taking over so expecting the same outcome may be the easy of waythinking but will probably end up wrong as we should have multiple legitimate threats through the end of the month with the usual caveats being applied especially for the cities and low lands.

Living and dying by each individual operational run has seemed to reach and all time low by some of our more seasoned posters. Paranoia at its finest. 

When we have a threat in the LR I typically pore over the 0z ens runs early in the morning with my coffee. This morning things looked quite good for snow especially from your area westward. Lets see where we are on the means after tonight's 0z runs.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

also, I don’t need anyone acting like they “saw this coming” for any reason other than pessimism because a) the mood was near ecstatic like 12 hours ago and b) we are eight days out! things will change! christ.

Take a break

• Weenie 3

DT said the storm today that euro had 5 times in a row giving us double digit snow was 100% BS because of MJO phase 7...hopefully he will say the same things about these solutions that involve blocking and MJO high amplitude Phase 8

• Confused 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic