Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

24 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

Most of us are so desperate at this point that we'd consider an Airbnb around the PA border.

i have an acre of land, just bring a tent and you're welcome to camp in the backyard. dont mind the dogs. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

2ft for Mt @psuhoffman…rain for DC

Don’t shoot me for saying this but given the climo changes since then isn’t that likely how a March 58 redux would play out now considering the original DC proper got 6-12” of super heavy wet snow from like 3” QPF. It kept mixing with rain with temps at like 34-36 most of that storm.  

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Don’t shoot me for saying this but given the climo changes since then isn’t that likely how a March 58 redux would play out now considering the original DC proper got 6-12” of super heavy wet snow from like 3” QPF. It kept mixing with rain with temps at like 34-36 most of that storm.  

You know what you can do with that journal pal? :hurrbear:

You all are going to lose your minds if you get too invested in each solution every 12 hours right now. The pattern is loaded. We will have threats. Probably multiple. Hopefully we get lucky and one is a flush hit. But the final solution to any of these threats won’t show itself yet on guidance. The pattern is way too noisy.

This isn’t a Nino split flow blocking regime where the NS is quiet and we guidance simply has to time up the STJ waves. This pattern involves too many wave interactions for guidance to nail details at long leads. 

Some thought I have on this pattern…we have multiple ways to score. If the initial wave fails it could pull the boundary south for the next one.  That seems our most likely win.  If it holds back it could eject waves that might get us.  This wouldn’t be a big storm scenario but boundary waves can be respectable in March. About the only total fail would be if all the energy ejects and phases into a March 93 type event but cuts. Then we get rain and cold dry after and since everything gets bundled once it lifts the whole pattern could break down. If this does end up ejecting all the energy and bombing while exciting that might be our lowest snow probability scenario.  Most upside though.  Pick your poison.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

You all are going to lose your minds if you get too invested in each solution every 12 hours right now. The pattern is loaded. We will have threats. Probably multiple. Hopefully we get lucky and one is a flush hit. But the final solution to any of these threats won’t show itself yet on guidance. The pattern is way too noisy.

This isn’t a Nino split flow blocking regime where the NS is quiet and we guidance simply has to time up the STJ waves. This pattern involves too many wave interactions for guidance to nail details at long leads. 

Some thought I have on this pattern…we have multiple ways to score. If the initial wave fails it could pull the boundary south for the next one.  That seems our most likely win.  If it holds back it could eject waves that might get us.  This wouldn’t be a big storm scenario but boundary waves can be respectable in March. About the only total fail would be if all the energy ejects and phases into a March 93 type event but cuts. Then we get rain and cold dry after and since everything gets bundled once it lifts the whole pattern could break down. If this does end up ejecting all the energy and bombing while exciting that might be our lowest snow probability scenario.  Most upside though.  Pick your poison.  

No zoom call tonight?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

@psuhoffman when in your opinion does the threat window end ?  I was thinking the 20 th, what our your thoughts ?  By the way, I am glad you are excited.  I hope I can excited too at my lattitude in the lower lands. 

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

50A7F024-00CC-44D1-A44C-4A4775C21887.gif

• Haha 2

Just now, frd said:

@psuhoffman when in your opinion does the threat window end ?  I was thinking the 20 th, what our your thoughts ?  By the way, I am glad you are excited.  I hope I can excited too at my lattitude in the lower lands. 

I could see this tease us into April but realistically climo starts to get really hostile on the coastal plain by then. It depends where you are. I think realistically after these threats through March 18 or so it’s over for them. Piedmont could still possible score late March. Above 1000 ft maybe into early April.  But realistically our best chance is one of these 4 waves or so between March 10 and 20th probably. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic