Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

27 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

here we go. the GEFS has a legitimate storm signal with multiple <980 SLPs that are suppressed. this is the ideal spot for the GEFS to be IMO. strong and suppressed. this is the first run with anything even close to this kind of coastal signal

straight up cave. I'm becoming more and more confident that the EPS has the right idea with the overall evolution

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-conus-mslp_with_low_locs-1677780000-1678460400-1678568400-40.thumb.gif.f59f8c4066fd8a8a8d454e044c7f7ebd.gif

Switching the trough/ridge between the EC and WC will definitely make things more trackable, though verbatim it kinda does look Miller B'ish or at least the trough looks a bit too far east.  Regardless, it's a colder pattern...which is sort of an important ingredient for snow.

But you compared 2 Euro runs a day apart that DO show the energy ejected more quickly east.  I am confused now lol

Tombo over on our Philly forum summed it pretty nicely. 150% better than I could. Hope he doesn’t mind me posting his quote. I’d be interested in seeing the H5 progression of the 18z GEFS members that develop a mid Atlantic storm for around 11th and how they got there. My whole point about the EPS was not having a good cold source because of the ride position.

“I mean you have a ton of high latitude blocking that is forcing big time cold for this time of the year south. Few things that I think need to be corrected before you can start honking for a snow event. For starters, ridge position out west is right on the coast, which argues more for going west. We do have a strong block in place, but there is no high pressure pinned under that to really entrench the cold air, so need see lower hgts offset ridging. I would like to see more lower hgts trapped underneath the block to offset the ridging that swings in place. Heisy mentioned this and I agree, the eps that far out are broad brushing the below normal hgts to much, just think of it as if there is more agreement on a low pressure those blues will be concentrated more so and you would see more ridging out ahead of that low. That ridging placement is sw flow and bringing in the warmer temps. That is where you need stronger lower hgts trapped under the block, to really offset the ridging that is out ahead of this storm due to how deep it is and wanting to go west. Its kind of the same theme all year long. These storms that enter into the baja just have so much time to amplify and go ham west of our longitude. Thats why a nice PNa ridge is sweet because they go down the front side of the ridge and amplify in the south and tap gulf moisture and come north. Not enter baja cali and amplify in the plains which is what you are seeing here. The airmass will be plenty fine if we can get lower hgts to combat the ridging out ahead of this. The main checklist is, you need a cold source, end of story. Whether it be a high anchored in prior or one coming into the system that it can tap. Right now it doesn't have the high but if we get lower hgts that will supply the cold. “

53 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

i referenced boxing day 2010 to CAPE for a reason (altho that would be bad for him too where he had the save he mentioned in that one that most of us didn't get)

the snow hole can get bent 

5 hours ago, Ji said:

I need to see blue--over my backyard. Not 500mb blue....not 2temp anomoly blue...not 850 anomoly blue---i need to see mutha fookin snow blue on the model map...over my yard. 

preferably when the "hour" number on the map is in double digits.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Like Mappy said, go away, please, if you think it is shit the blinds.

Exactly-Haven’t really had any hope for any type of winter weather for a while  and seems like a true pattern change is coming. So I came on here to read bc I thought there would be some good analysis. I was not disappointed. 

But “feely” statements like “it ain’t gonna  happen”, is just a waste of a post and is only based on past disappointments not any kind of current medium range climatology. Like a person who is jaded about the entire “dating scene” in general, because THAT PERSON can’t get a date. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

some people, like myself and a handful of others, find the way weather patterns evolve interesting and try and forecast them. and then try and determine threats and track them too 

And others of us without your skills really enjoy reading your thoughts.  Thanks for all you've shared in this and the previous threads.  I've learned a lot.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

some people, like myself and a handful of others, find the way weather patterns evolve interesting and try and forecast them. and then try and determine threats and track them too 

i appreciate the time you spend trying to educate us even if i don't post in this thread a lot. I can read a wx model--your posts teach me how to do more than that. 

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I'm personally very grateful for your analysis in this subforum. You have the patience of a saint to deal with us perpetually snow starved weenies. 

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, Wxtrix said:

i appreciate the time you spend trying to educate us even if i don't post in this thread a lot. I can read a wx model--your posts teach me how to do more than that. 

thank you! posters from way back when helped me do the same when I was a kid 

so i try and help others gain the same insights that I did! they’re fascinating. and trust me, I learn every day both at my job and even here

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I can't believe the low is cutting into Canada with a near +600dm -NAO. What a good setup for a HECS v. The Pacific is already favorable here. I'd worry about last second warming with the coastal if it happens after the 11th. 

nam_namer_084_500_vort_ht.gif

On march 6? That’s to be expected, imo. That cutter should absorb into and reinforce the 50/50, while the w trough begins to kick east on the 10th. Gfs moved towards the euro/cmc today

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Yes sir! I've learned a ton from you this winter. Very detailed and educational on my level which isn't much. But thank you for taking the time to post as well even from the SE.

48 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

thank you! posters from way back when helped me do the same when I was a kid 

so i try and help others gain the same insights that I did! they’re fascinating. and trust me, I learn every day both at my job and even here

By Admin Decree

Whereas, Brooklynwx99 , a conniving small time hustler, came into our forum as a mere interloper 

Whereas he has shown himself to be a teacher, a motivator, and a part time Gigolo 

Whereas he better get this storm shit together or there will be pitchforks and torches in Bayridge Brooklyn and/or Morristown, NJ

He is hearby declared an honorary Mid Atlantic Met and is therefore granted full Mid Atlantic citizenship. 

-Decreed by That black Admin on this 2nd day of March, two thousand and twenty three.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 18

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic