Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Plenty of spread among the EPS members on low location for the 11-12th period. Not the strongest signal I have ever seen for a favorable MA coastal low track. Best signal for frozen in this window is to our north, again. Still time.

1678557600-yrjMNPeuHuc.png

1678536000-DmMaNMHm5IM.png

I really hope we can break the 3-year consistency of inland coastal lows, or coastal huggers. Going to take a few more days to get clarity on this I imagine. 

1 hour ago, Heisy said:

One for the ages. I failed photoshop class, while you obviously earned honors.

Im still right though! Verbatim it’s not an ideal look for the Mid-Atlantic, yet… key word, yet.

If we see changes on upcoming OP/EPS runs that make positive steps to a better winter storm I’ll be the first one on board…

Spot the difference

38f5f03c2c81351c181dff103f919f7d.gif

One is faster with the lower heights moving east?

12 minutes ago, Heisy said:

715026932b8167e1b66d66b98e1d6377.gif

yeah, the GFS basically retrogrades the main vort into the ocean instead of shooting it east like the GEPS/EPS. it's so different from everything else that I still can't really believe its depiction yet

either way, it seems like it's keying in on the later timeframe between the 13-16th. either way, we will probably get something. don't see how we get out of this unscathed

• Like 3

Everyone so uptight in this place! Chill. It’s just snow. :yikes:  We should have a meet up here at Other Half one day. Trust me. Nobody caring about snow after a few 13-14% pastry stouts! 

PS - notice the snowflake hanging in the pic. That’s a symbol of how much snow has fallen in DC this year. :lol::lol::lol:

55FF354B-85FF-40E2-B064-07096E33215A.jpeg

• Like 4

One is faster with the lower heights moving east?

Yes exactly. If eps is right we’d want to see the ULL around lakes progress a little faster east leaving some room for backside trough to amplify. Right now everything is just too far N and not spaced right, we also don’t really have agreement on how the pac energy and PNA ridge evolve. As Ji said it would be nice to actually get some damn blue over the mid Atlantic on one OP or ensemble run

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

Yes exactly. If eps is right we’d want to see the ULL around lakes progress a little faster east leaving some room for backside trough to amplify. Right now everything is just too far N and not spaced right, we also don’t really have agreement on how the pac energy and PNA ridge evolve. As Ji said it would be nice to actually get some damn blue over the mid Atlantic on one OP or ensemble run

I think I actually understand this part.  No, really I do.  Seems like a U when we need a V

• Haha 1

yeah, the GFS basically retrogrades the main vort into the ocean instead of shooting it east like the GEPS/EPS. it's so different from everything else that I still can't really believe its depiction yet
either way, it seems like it's keying in on the later timeframe between the 13-16th. either way, we will probably get something. don't see how we get out of this unscathed

It does have some support though looking at Canadian and UKIE, JMA a bit too. I wouldn’t write off the GFS evolution yet. I’ve thought all along that our best shot will be at end of pattern change, more towards mid month or so. Either way I agree, we “should” get something out of this. Would just be nice to get some snow snow up on an OP run under 9-10 days soon lol. Patience is dried up honestly.

Just now, Heisy said:

It does have some support though looking at Canadian and UKIE, JMA a bit too. I wouldn’t write off the GFS evolution yet. I’ve thought all along that our best shot will be at end of pattern change, more towards mid month or so. Either way I agree, we “should” get something out of this. Would just be nice to get some snow snow up on an OP run under 9-10 days soon lol. Patience is dried up honestly.

the CMC's evolution does not agree with its own ensemble... the GEPS agrees with the EPS. as of right now, I am highly prioritizing the ENS due to the uncertainty of the pattern features

also the GFS does end up popping a big coastal at the end of the run. there will be lots of chances in this pattern. not one and done

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh252-276.thumb.gif.9c2ec8f1f10908406ce43ef9356abae1.gif

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, frd said:

I really hope we can break the 3-year consistency of inland coastal lows, or coastal huggers. Going to take a few more days to get clarity on this I imagine. 

Outside of that we have had offshore coastal lows produce big snow for southern/eastern areas when we have had a mechanism for legit cold(-EPO/PNA) and complete absence of SE ridge. Might be a new normal or base state embedded in there somewhere.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heisy said:

But you compared 2 Euro runs a day apart that DO show the energy ejected more quickly east.  I am confused now lol

24 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Everyone so uptight in this place! Chill. It’s just snow. :yikes:  We should have a meet up here at Other Half one day. Trust me. Nobody caring about snow after a few 13-14% pastry stouts! 

PS - notice the snowflake hanging in the pic. That’s a symbol of how much snow has fallen in DC this year. :lol::lol::lol:

55FF354B-85FF-40E2-B064-07096E33215A.jpeg

Their stouts are so GD sweet though!

I like snow.

• Like 1

here we go. the GEFS has a legitimate storm signal with multiple <980 SLPs that are suppressed. this is the ideal spot for the GEFS to be IMO. strong and suppressed. this is the first run with anything even close to this kind of coastal signal

straight up cave. I'm becoming more and more confident that the EPS has the right idea with the overall evolution

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-conus-mslp_with_low_locs-1677780000-1678460400-1678568400-40.thumb.gif.f59f8c4066fd8a8a8d454e044c7f7ebd.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

The 18Z GFS has a whopping 1060 mb surface high west of Hudson Bay at hour 138! Other runs and models have shown something similar for then. This kind of thing being repeatedly shown and it now being only 6 days out tells me that the pressure may not be overdone.

For comparison, the record highest SLP for all of Canada in March is only 1 mb higher and that is way up in northern Nunavut! Also, the highest SLP on record for that area west of Hudson Bay is only ~1058 mb for all months, not just March. That alone is enough to tell me we're likely dealing with a very highly anomalous setup, which may lead to something historic for the US down the road in terms of cold and wintry weather.

The map below has the all time record highest SLPs in Canada for all months. Note the 580 just N of NW Manitoba (1058 mb):

72E38FFF-1A31-446A-8600-0691C745482A.thumb.gif.92b4939a95378fe3a88e2943c8092765.gif

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/research/roth/SLPrecords.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

here we go. the GEFS has a legitimate storm signal with multiple <980 SLPs that are suppressed. this is the ideal spot for the GEFS to be IMO. strong and suppressed. this is the first run with anything even close to this kind of coastal signal

straight up cave. I'm becoming more and more confident that the EPS has the right idea with the overall evolution

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-conus-mslp_with_low_locs-1677780000-1678460400-1678568400-40.thumb.gif.f59f8c4066fd8a8a8d454e044c7f7ebd.gif

Bring it home brklynwx99

This is your storm!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Wait til our Brooklyn friend learns about Boxing Day 2010 down this way…

Have to admit, I skated past true failure here. :yikes:

A big disappointment based on the forecast, but still low end warning event. But yeah, an overall fail for the region as a whole and up there with the worst.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic