• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 Obs

NorthHillsWx

These last three days of wx have been near ideal for March from my point of view. The walks have been fantastic. The contrast to the very warm and muggy 2/21-3/7 couldn't have been much greater. The dewpoints going way down into the high teens yesterday was awesome. Today's 20s dewpoints along with sunshine and highs in the 60s felt so good. Felt like a pleasantly cool summer day up in the CO Rockies! 

KSAV had lows of 34 and 35 these last two days, the coldest since way back on January 28th!

Only made it down to 37.2 this morning (forecast of 31 and freeze warning).  Cold air must’ve been late arriving, I figured it would have a tough time reaching freezing while we were still around 50 when I went to bed just before midnight. Currently 45.1 and very chilly. Our high was 48.2 and that occurred just after midnight. Will be close this afternoon but I bet we scratch 50 in the full march sun

For those like myself who enjoy sunny, cool to cold, and low dewpoints for outdoor activities, this is a day to savor, which I'm doing knowing there are very few of these during May-Sep and there almost for sure won't be another near this cold again after this cold spell ends til at least November. I'm especially appreciative of this cold spell knowing 80s should be back here later this week.

I had a great walk yesterday evening and look forward to another enjoyable one today. It is now near 60 with breezy conditions, dewpoints in the 20s, and a beautiful deep blue sky that Canadian airmasses often provide along with some pretty cirrus.

Meanwhile, wow at how cold it is in the big ATL, what would be cold even for mid January!

• Like 1

Just posted by Wilmington, NC, NWS:

UPDATE     AN INTERESTING MORNING! ADDED SPRINKLES TO THE FORECAST AREA-WIDE PER RADAR RETURNS FOR THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO. SEVERAL CREDIBLE REPORTS THAT SOME SLEET PELLETS HAVE BEEN MIXING IN AT   TIMES. TEMPERATURES GENERALLY WELL ABOVE FREEZING BUT SOME   STRONG WET BULB INFLUENCE OBVIOUSLY GOING ON. GIVEN THE SLOWLY RISING TEMPERATURE FELT THIS WOULDN'T BE THE CASE FOR MUCH LONGER ESP AS VIS SAT IMAGERY SHOWS THAT THE WEAK ISENTROPIC LIFT APPEARS TO BE WEAKENING.  
------------------------

It makes sense with 850 mb temperatures well below 0C (-3 to -4 C) there. 925s were also sub 0C.

Edit: Lows of 36 at KSAV and KSVN, not quite as cold as the 34/35 at KSAV on 3/15 and 3/16, respectively.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2023 at 7:58 AM, NorthHillsWx said:

Bottomed out at 28.6 this morning. Currently rising at 29.7. Was this the coldest morning we’ll see before next fall? 

Well, this was premature. Bottomed out at 27.5 this morning. Colder than forecast. Monday morning was widely forecast to be the coldest this week but we only fell to 28.8. Much frostier this morning as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Well, this was premature. Bottomed out at 27.5 this morning. Colder than forecast. Monday morning was widely forecast to be the coldest this week but we only fell to 28.8. Much frostier this morning as well. 

In my area, KSAV (airport) ended up with a low of 35 this morning (normal is 50). Similar to you, this was the coldest low of this airmass due to having a better radiational cooling setup vs yesterday, when the low was 36. But unlike your area, today wasn't the coldest of this month as KSAV had 34 with the prior cold period on 3/15 followed by 35 on 3/16.

At KSVN (Hunter AAF), the low today was 38, which is warmer than yesterday's 36. The radiational conditions weren't quite as good as at KSAV.

• Like 2

It is now in the low 80s here with dewpoints in the 50s, a beautiful blue sky, and notable breezes. The birds are very active as if to say spring is back. This is all making for a pleasant day to be outside. If I had the time, I'd be sitting outside now to take it all in.

There's no notable cold wx in sight at least down this way. It looks solidly AN til it cools to possibly a little BN near 3/28 for a couple of days.

It is now in the low 80s here with dewpoints in the 50s, a beautiful blue sky, and notable breezes. The birds are very active as if to say spring is back. This is all making for a pleasant day to be outside.

If that looks like a copy and paste from yesterday, that's because it is. Unlike yesterday though, I hope to have some time today to sit outside and take it in.

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

That's quite the early morning string of pearls across AL and GA. Two radar-confirmed tornadoes have occurred in GA over the past hour.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-subregional-Dixie-comp_radar-11_55Z-20230326_map_noBar-12-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.4df1a6135500290c12e3c0e27595d6e1.gif

The one that was over west central Georgia was confirmed by the damage across Troup County, Georgia

PHOTOS: Tornado destroys multiple homes in Troup County: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/photos-tornado/K5NJ2HFEK5FZTFHQNTBQ7HTU5U