• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The HRRR in particular changed quite a bit...the 3K lowered winds in the LSV quite a bit as well.  It could all come back at 0Z just like the EC Easter Nor'easter winter saving istorm could be gone. 

I just had a chance to look - the NAM damn near takes supercells with spinny tingles through DC proper and is rough for east of 95. Different, indeed. 

• Like 1

It snowed on the first Easter. In fact when they went to the tomb and saw it was empty, they saw one set of footprints in the snow. And after he was busted free, Jesus cried out to the old man, "Dad, why weren't you with me when I got out of the tomb, you scumbag?"

And God said, no, that's when I carried you.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Atomixwx said:

It snowed on the first Easter. In fact when they went to the tomb and saw it was empty, they saw one set of footprints in the snow. And after he was busted free, Jesus cried out to the old man, "Dad, why weren't you with me when I got out of the tomb, you scumbag?"

And God said, no, that's when I carried you.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I have a joke about Jesus and egg hunts and Mary but I’ll reframe. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yep, it moved much of the action to our south. 

I don’t buy it but severe can do weird things. Except today in the mid south and OV and around Chicago … it’s as bad as predicted. And lots and lots of big cities down the line with the storms trucking that way. 

Sorry for all my severe wx posts from outside the region .. first stuff I’ve had to track since December. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

I don't see cellular damage on a single flower, all looks great, In fact those trees have way to many flowers and will probably be mechanically or chemically pinched to increase fruit size and to prevent apples bumping into each other and bruising in the wind. That is a very nice orchard .

just did my pear tree for the very same reason.  I want good fruit this summer.

6 hours ago, pasnownut said:

just did my pear tree for the very same reason.  I want good fruit this summer.

Pinching the flowers is so often overlooked by the home grower .  Fruit quality ,size, and brix will defiantly be vastly improved  . If your not frimillar with bagging your fruit on the tree to protect the fruits you should look that up also. CPA is one of the hardest places in the country to grow fruit, because apple country has introduced so many invasive insects, and disease into the area.   If you have fun with your trees you should graft on a few more variety's of pear scion . Your tree is most likely grafted to bartlett root stock if you bought it from a nursery , which I believe is also compatible with Asian pears. It's still not to late to graft this season, but time is running very short for grafts. Grafting is unbelievably easy. All you need is a razor blade, electrical tape and some candle wax  . I graft all my own apple trees on m27 rootstock using the simple Saddle graft . I use m27 because it grows ultra dwarf trees that top off at 6' max ,but as far as apple trees go budagovsky 9 is the standard apple rootstock here in Pa. , and what you see in most orchards because of its hardiness in or area, and manageable but productive size.  At some point you are going to have problems with disease, and insects at both the rhizosphere ,and phyllosphere if you have not already . I can point you in the right direction organic or systematic . 

High wind warning hoisted . A bad day for grafting trees lol.

High Wind Warning

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
313 AM EDT Sat Apr 1 2023

PAZ025>028-034>036-056-057-059-063>066-012200-
/O.UPG.KCTP.WI.Y.0008.230401T1200Z-230402T0600Z/
/O.EXA.KCTP.HW.W.0002.230401T1200Z-230402T0600Z/
Blair-Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Bedford-Fulton-Franklin-Perry-
Dauphin-Lebanon-Cumberland-Adams-York-Lancaster-
Including the cities of Altoona, Huntingdon, Mount Union,
Lewistown, Mifflintown, Bedford, McConnellsburg, Chambersburg,
Newport, Harrisburg, Hershey, Lebanon, Carlisle, Gettysburg,
York, and Lancaster
313 AM EDT Sat Apr 1 2023

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM THIS MORNING TO 2 AM EDT
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...West winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph
  expected.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 8 AM this morning to 2 AM EDT Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
  Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be
  difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For high wind safety information, visit weather.gov/safety/wind.

The latest forecast information can be found on the
NWS State College Facebook page and Twitter @NWSStateCollege,
or on the web at weather.gov/ctp.

&&

$$

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service State College PA
315 AM EDT Sat Apr 1 2023

PAZ024>028-033>036-056-057-059-063>066-020715-
Cambria-Blair-Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Somerset-Bedford-Fulton-
Franklin-Perry-Dauphin-Lebanon-Cumberland-Adams-York-Lancaster-
315 AM EDT Sat Apr 1 2023

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM THIS MORNING TO 2 AM EDT
SUNDAY...

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for central Pennsylvania.

.DAY ONE...Today and tonight.

Please listen to NOAA Weather Radio or go to
weather.gov/StateCollege on the internet for more
information about the following hazards.

High Wind Warning.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday.

The probability for widespread hazardous weather is low.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotters are encouraged to report significant hazardous weather.

Its really warmed up tonight out there the wind is already picking up and had a few rumbles here also around 5:20 Am. I thinking upgrade to Enhanced is a possible today. I sure hope @Bubbler86 is on the meso and sounding game today. I find him quite the forum asset to this thread and a great contributor of info and kindness.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

Pinching the flowers is so often overlooked by the home grower .  Fruit quality ,size, and brix will defiantly be vastly improved  . If your not frimillar with bagging your fruit on the tree to protect the fruits you should look that up also. CPA is one of the hardest places in the country to grow fruit, because apple country has introduced so many invasive insects, and disease into the area.   If you have fun with your trees you should graft on a few more variety's of pear scion . Your tree is most likely grafted to bartlett root stock if you bought it from a nursery , which I believe is also compatible with Asian pears. It's still not to late to graft this season, but time is running very short for grafts. Grafting is unbelievably easy. All you need is a razor blade, electrical tape and some candle wax  . I graft all my own apple trees on m27 rootstock using the simple Saddle graft . I use m27 because it grows ultra dwarf trees that top off at 6' max ,but as far as apple trees go budagovsky 9 is the standard apple rootstock here in Pa. , and what you see in most orchards because of its hardiness in or area, and manageable but productive size.  At some point you are going to have problems with disease, and insects at both the rhizosphere ,and phyllosphere if you have not already . I can point you in the right direction organic or systematic . 

Yes, we struggle to keep insects from getting at them first, but we are looking for less harmful treatments options to keep them at bay.

Wow, you know your stuff.  Way way above me.  I'm just starting to take a little more interest in managing this tree, as the pears are just great.  Thanks for the info.

20 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yes, we struggle to keep insects from getting at them first, but we are looking for less harmful treatments options to keep them at bay.

Wow, you know your stuff.  Way way above me.  I'm just starting to take a little more interest in managing this tree, as the pears are just great.  Thanks for the info.

I,m in storm mode atm, and  but I send you some good stuff when its over . If you ever around Shippensburg I highly recommend https://martinsproducesupplies.com/ . They are a true ag supply store unlike tractor supply co.  and the Mennonites there a super knowledgeable and helpfull. https://www.fertrell.com/ in bainbridge is also a true Ag supply that is a great learning visit .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

Its really warmed up tonight out there the wind is already picking up and had a few rumbles here also around 5:20 Am. I thinking upgrade to Enhanced is a possible today. I sure hope @Bubbler86 is on the meso and sounding game today. I find him quite the forum asset to this thread and a great contributor of info and kindness.

Ha, ha, thanks.  I will be away today so someone else will need to do the parsing later.   The 6Z 3K Nam has a gust and squall line moving through the LSV around 7PM.  The HRRR is much less impressive storm wise but does have generally windy conditions for a longer period.   A spring sultry 58 here this AM. 

image.thumb.png.1d3f6144b78adfff98924f8c524cea2c.png

image.png.8bd9f26275c529195d9da379ee906f9d.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Ha, ha, thanks.  I will be away today so someone else will need to do the parsing later.   The 6Z 3K Nam has a gust and squall line moving through the LSV around 7PM.  The HRRR is much less impressive storm wise but does have generally windy conditions for a longer period. 

image.thumb.png.1d3f6144b78adfff98924f8c524cea2c.png

image.png.8bd9f26275c529195d9da379ee906f9d.png

How can you abandon us on a day like today?

• Haha 1