• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

Pretty unusual conditions this time of the day.  Temp 41.0 with a relative humidity of 27% !!  That comes out to a dew point of 9.5 degrees!  You don't usually see 27% humidity around 9:30pm in the winter.  Next month much more likely to have sub-30% RH's during the daytime.  

On a side note...yesterday was brutal with temps mid 30's and winds gusting to 30mph.  It felt like we were back to the single digit temps of 12/23 & 24.  Our bodies have been acclimating to the abnormal warmth from the last 2 months.  Temps in the upper 40's this afternoon were much more tolerable.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Pretty unusual conditions this time of the day.  Temp 41.0 with a relative humidity of 27% !!  That comes out to a dew point of 9.5 degrees!  You don't usually see 27% humidity around 9:30pm in the winter.  Next month much more likely to have sub-30% RH's during the daytime.  

On a side note...yesterday was brutal with temps mid 30's and winds gusting to 30mph.  It felt like we were back to the single digit temps of 12/23 & 24.  Our bodies have been acclimating to the abnormal warmth from the last 2 months.  Temps in the upper 40's this afternoon were much more tolerable.

CTP was considering issuing fire weather products this afternoon with the winds and low RH meeting criteria, but decided not to since Forestry determined fine fuels still had moisture that was above criteria threshold, that and there’s no trees or fine fuels on @canderson’s street left to burn since they all blew away lol. 

Similar setup tomorrow with a bit less wind that might not actually meet the criteria. Laurel’s still have or have had snow on the ground the last couple days, so can’t see that being much of an issue there. CTP notes SC PA will have lowest RH values via downsloping tomorrow. Something to consider if one wants to burn tomorrow I suppose. It is getting to that time of the year that there’s usually a heightened brush fire risk, especially since it’s been fairly dry and no snowpack in the Sus Valley and a lot of the central south of 80. 

CTP

.FIRE WEATHER...
Dry air remains in place this evening, after being pulled in
from the NW this afternoon behind the departing coastal storm.
Moisture will increase only a little tonight, with RH likely dropping
down below 30 percent again on Thursday along and south of
I-80. Lowest RH values will likely be across south central PA,
in downsloping flow off the Laurel Highlands.

Thursday will be less windy than today, with max gusts of 15-20
mph, and higher gusts possible in the higher terrain.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2023 at 10:50 PM, NepaJames8602 said:

Thank you! I’m actually a long term lurker of this regional forum, however I typically post in the Nyc Interior thread given my proximity to that location. I’ll try to drop in here more often. I’m Located in Newfoundland, Pa in Wayne county. The Pocono Springs pin, is my actual location in the Poconos. Roughly 30 min due north of Mt. Pocono. And today was this winters largest snowfall for me. All in all, absolutely pathetic season for everyone. This storm has put me at around 43” inches for the season, so I’ve made up some ground the past two weeks. But it’s still far behind the typical average snowfall for the higher elevations of the Poconos, which range from 60” to 70” inches a season here once you’re at and above 2,000’ feet. 

DFA0EC1F-1FAD-43C9-B6C3-0FD08E44E986.jpeg

Well I sure hope you keep stopping by. You will be telling us things that nobody else will from your mountain perch in NEPA. When I lived in Jersey City I would post in the NYC  forum occasionally and here too when I visited. I have been back in Williamsport permanently for a number of years now and wish we had at least a few more people closer to me.  But it is all good; the more, the merrier wherever they come from.

• Like 1