• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

'Mornin fellow weather weirdos.  These winds the past two days have just been brutal while walking into work in Harrisburg.  Last night the house was shaking.  Slightly better today but not much.  Looks like the highest recorded gust yesterday was 56mph at Mifflin County Airport, which I hear all the major airlines will be offering direct non-stop service to in the coming months.  As expected, the major snow totals yesterday were confined to the MA-NY-VT border region.  NE PA looks like a highly elevation-dependent general 4-8" type deal, with a couple of higher lollipops. 

I'm starting to have concerns about the ability of our "storm" to climb the coast for next week.  My expectations are about as low as can be at this point.  Either way, the remainder of March looks mostly chilly.  MDT now at an avg. temp of 40.0, exactly one degree above average.  What's happening out at Mammoth Mountain is absolutely amazing to behold -- a weather fanatic's wet dream -- while also recognizing the dangers it poses.  National high of 87 near Ochopee, FL and low of -19 at Seagull Lake, MN.  Those are my scatterbrained thoughts for the morning.  Chao.

I wish you had time or felt compelled to post more - I love your drivels. Maybe because I love to drivel myself. :) 

• Like 1

Recycling bins - of course, my trash day was yesterday. And of course, there was mayhem in the neighborhood. I was quite concerned about the status of our own recycling bin, so I texted my wife yesterday and asked if ours was still on our property...she sent me a picture showing 4 recycling bins at the end of our driveway. 

It's nice to have 3 backups now. :) 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

'Mornin fellow weather weirdos.  These winds the past two days have just been brutal while walking into work in Harrisburg.  Last night the house was shaking.  Slightly better today but not much.  Looks like the highest recorded gust yesterday was 56mph at Mifflin County Airport, which I hear all the major airlines will be offering direct non-stop service to in the coming months.  As expected, the major snow totals yesterday were confined to the MA-NY-VT border region.  NE PA looks like a highly elevation-dependent general 4-8" type deal, with a couple of higher lollipops. 

I'm starting to have concerns about the ability of our "storm" to climb the coast for next week.  My expectations are about as low as can be at this point.  Either way, the remainder of March looks mostly chilly.  MDT now at an avg. temp of 40.0, exactly one degree above average.  What's happening out at Mammoth Mountain is absolutely amazing to behold -- a weather fanatic's wet dream -- while also recognizing the dangers it poses.  National high of 87 near Ochopee, FL and low of -19 at Seagull Lake, MN.  Those are my scatterbrained thoughts for the morning.  Chao.

Yeah, yesterday was a nice event for NE and the Poconos, but thats really not surprising (in a normal year).  Cams looked meh yesterday afternoon, but hey it was something...

for the 23rd event, AO looks to rise around that timestamp.  NAO still neg, and MJO losing amp thru 1 would suggest to me that this one has a chance, as the boundary could come north.  ENS guidance has varied looks at 500mb.  One less pronounced trough and other showing ridging.  My gut says another rainer down here w/ the normal elevations scoring.  IF the look holds.  My thoughts are really just based off current looks/guidance, and not much more than that.

Quite frankly I'm about "wished" out for something to happen, but thought I'd throw my .02 in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I wish you had time or felt compelled to post more - I love your drivels. Maybe because I love to drivel myself. :) 

Haha thanks pal.  It really is just a matter of time right now with the kiddos being so young.  Sleep can be rough some nights but overall it's getting better, and as crazy as it is we'll look back one day and miss these times, as I'm sure many of you know all too well.  I'm actually able to post more while at work, which I'm sure is another thing some of you can relate to haha.  Even though I'll go missing for a few days at a time, I'm usually always at least lurking and checking in on things a couple times a day.  Sometimes we get caught up with things on the weekends and I don't have time to catch up but I try.  Also, Penn State is in the tourney for the first time since the Medieval period and NCAA wrestling Championships start tomorrow, so I've been preoccupied with some other things :D

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah, yesterday was a nice event for NE and the Poconos, but thats really not surprising (in a normal year).  Cams looked meh yesterday afternoon, but hey it was something...

for the 23rd event, AO looks to rise around that timestamp.  NAO still neg, and MJO losing amp thru 1 would suggest to me that this one has a chance, as the boundary could come north.  ENS guidance has varied looks at 500mb.  One less pronounced trough and other showing ridging.  My gut says another rainer down here w/ the normal elevations scoring.  IF the look holds.  My thoughts are really just based off current looks/guidance, and not much more than that.

Quite frankly I'm about "wished" out for something to happen, but thought I'd throw my .02 in. 

I hope you're right - we can't win without the moisture. If it rains so be it...I'd much prefer it come up at us than sit and rot down south.

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The cold press for next week's potential continues to get modeled stronger - we need it be cold for obvious reasons but models are picking up on that confluence and stalling out our low in the deep south before shredding it out. 

Right now I'm much more worried about smoking me some cirrus instead of rain. 

Yes, and near record cold. As they say on the MA board, another way to lose.  Speaking of cold the CMC did really well with spring cold last year and has colder areas of the LSV getting into the teens Mon and Tue AM. 

28 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yes, and near record cold. As they say on the MA board, another way to lose.  Speaking of cold the CMC did really well with spring cold last year and has colder areas of the LSV getting into the teens Mon and Tue AM. 

There's going to be a lot of people complaining about the weather over the next couple of weeks. I'll ask them how they ever managed to survive such a harsh winter in the first place. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3