• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2023 OBS Thread

17 hours ago, Newman said:

My at home station has recorded 0.0" of rain this month. Not sure how accurate that is, but KRDG only has 0.09" so it might be legit. Next week is high and dry too. Likely a shutout month

Wow.  I'm at .90 for the month here.  

Grass is starting to take on a brown tint in spots. Despite being cool, the air mass has been so dry we're not getting great dew production overnight. Loving these temps but let mix in an occasional shower or two.

59F/DP 40F

Another dry and cooler than normal day across the County today. We warm to near normal tomorrow to above normal temps on Memorial Day. It looks likely that we see a brief warm up to above normal temps to start the first 2 days of June before another stretch of below normal temps set in by next Sunday. Unfortunately very little chance of any meaningful rain with the slight chance of a shower across southern sections by Sunday night.
Records for today: High 93 (1914) / Low 35 (1972) / Rain 1.84" (2003)
image.png.c3363b753cd79dc2599adb4b5f36c71f.png

Bottomed out at 50 this morning and made it to a pleasant 74 as a high, with an oddly "cool" breeze.

I threw caution to the wind and put my overwintering potted tropical plants out for the summer given the upcoming week's forecast.  This time last year we had similar temps although I ended up soaring to a high of 95 on 5/31/22.  I know some of the guidance has suggested some kind of warm-up next week with a potential for mid-upper 80s or maybe a 90, but we shall see.

It's currently a partly cloudy 71 with dp 41.

This is really getting bad folks.  No significant rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future.  Now comes the huge heat dome for next weekend.  The lawns here are literally going to be thrown into the air fryer. The lawns will be brown by the end of next weekend with temps in the low to mid 90's.  The smaller stream base flows will fall  by inches everyday as people suck water out their wells continuously by watering  their gardens and lawns. 

My predictions for the upcoming weeks

1. Localized stream beds will become dry in sections and disappear

2.  Residents who have shallow wells will begin to dry up.  Well driller companies will be busy.

3. People will start complaining to the media and provide bleeding heart stories that their gardens are dying, farmers cannot get corn to grow etc will begin to appear in the local newspapers.

4. No more stocking of trout in some streams

5. Some lakes and even some streams  like Blue Marsh will close-  high algae /bacteria counts as cold clean fresh water sources to the lakes dry up.

6. PADEP is crazy as hell right now. They are worthless for issuing drought watches/warnings.  LCA in lehigh county which supplies water to all  of the water bottling companies and municipalities like Allentown as shut down/diminished pumping  their wells near the Little Lehigh already. That means if you drink Deer Park, Nestle, Dasani, Niagra , Pierre and other bottle water, the water sources are taking a huge hit right now. We should be in a drought warning right now but I will sit back and water the crap  out of my garden/lawn until the creek runs dry and PADEP  finally issues a drought warning.  The hit on local produce this year will be bad. Any hydrologist forecaster worth his weight in gold should have seen this coming back in mid January and looked at previous fading La Nina years. The handwriting is on the wall. Pray for a tropical storm sitting off the Chesapeake Bay as that is our only saving grace right now with these continuing and dominating Canadian HP sitting over the Great lakes. Every cold front since the end of April has dried up before reaching eastern PA as the GOM/ Atlantic moisture is being shunted away for our area. 

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

This morning's low's in the low to mid 40's were almost 10 degrees cooler than we should be as we close out May. If the month ended today this would be the 13th coldest May with 130 years of weather records for the county. Below normal temperatures look likely to continue through Tuesday with the exception of Monday with temps near normal. A strong warming trend looks likely by the end of the week with temps in the low to mid 80's. Unfortunately no rain is on tap the entire week.
Records for today: High 95 (1914) / Low 35 (1930) / Rain 1.89" (1973)
image.png.11f14534ff1a97c4f058bd9270025429.png

On 5/25/2023 at 11:20 PM, RedSky said:

Strange observation I have seen zero mosquitoes this month. Yes it's been dry obviously but only 50 yards from a pond.

Yep. I BBQ'ed/fire-pit quite often and really haven't been bit. Also noticed more crickets(critters) this early. Pretty sure Gordon Lightfoot passing has something to do with this...

That DP/Hum is unreal...

dp.jpg

After another 50 low this morning, I got up to 79 for a high today and dry conditions aside (and the hose will have to get a workout), you couldn't ask for a better day in terms of lack of humidity.

Currently mostly sunny and breezy with a few clouds here and there, and 77, with dp bopping between 41 - 43 and humidity between 28 - 30%.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:04 AM, JTA66 said:

Grass is starting to take on a brown tint in spots. Despite being cool, the air mass has been so dry we're not getting great dew production overnight. Loving these temps but let mix in an occasional shower or two.

59F/DP 40F

Definitively took a turn for the worse....was mowing every 4-5 days, now 7?

Today will be the 11th day in the last 14 days with below normal temps across the area. We get closer to normal temps over the next couple days with the warmest day so far this year possible by this coming Friday. Some lower spots and southern sections of the county could even see a 90 degree reading.
We look likely to finish with the 2nd driest May since 1894. Only 1964 with 0.14" featured less rain. Of note today is the latest recorded day with a below freezing temperature with 32 degrees way back in 1927.
Records for today: High 94 (1941) / Low 32 (1927) / Rain 2.94" (1968)
image.png.1ba61662e978f45cecbdfb0e213f4225.png

2023 Precipitation Departures from normal (in inches) through 5/27:

Allentown, PA (ABE): -2.37

Reading, PA (RDG): -3.99

Mount Pocono, PA (MPO): -1.48

Philadelphia, PA (PHL): -4.10

Trenton, NJ (TTN): -3.71

Atlantic City, NJ (ACY): -1.68

Atlantic City Marina, NJ (55N): -3.53

Wilmington, DE (ILG): -5.21

Georgetown, DE (GED): 2.06

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

It's going mad max dry this next week welcome to Thunderdome

Ground is starting to get yellow/crunchy. Neighbor (Old :oldman:...no real maintenance and it's looking bad)

Tell family members to wear heavy duty footwear walking on grass....it's a bitch sometimes, get shocked left and right. 

The DP/Hum for this time of year is damn low along w/no precip...and some winds.

bi.jpg

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Maybe some stuff....got dark.

stuff2.jpg

I felt two rain drops here in Ches. Co. Pottstown about an hour and a half ago. I lightly watered two specimen plants that were struggling. Beautiful day at French Creek park yesterday. Lake Hopewell is sitting about 18 inches below the spill way, creek and lake levels aren't as low as I would expect. The cooler temperatures I think have helped. We are going into conservation mode here at our house. 

15 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

I felt two rain drops here in Ches. Co. Pottstown about an hour and a half ago. I lightly watered two specimen plants that were struggling. Beautiful day at French Creek park yesterday. Lake Hopewell is sitting about 18 inches below the spill way, creek and lake levels aren't as low as I would expect. The cooler temperatures I think have helped. We are going into conservation mode here at our house. 

Stuff falling...not great but I'll take it.

Did trout fishing in the 90's at the French Creek...cool times.

What was that restaurant place up there....Seven Stars?

• Like 1

Ground was too hard to put our little flags in along the front lawn (the little kind with the wooden dowels) so they are scattered about in various planters instead. Had to mow the back yesterday--I think we had left it for more than two weeks. I wonder when we'll need to mow it again.

Not seeing any precip until at least 6/11 on the long range models. Wow.

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Ground was too hard to put our little flags in along the front lawn (the little kind with the wooden dowels) so they are scattered about in various planters instead. Had to mow the back yesterday--I think we had left it for more than two weeks. I wonder when we'll need to mow it again.

Not seeing any precip until at least 6/11 on the long range models. Wow.

Yeah...I haven't mowed in over a week and thinking if I do it's going to get burnt/fried. It was growing like crazy for a while there...not now.

80.jpg

Was at my Wyndmoor sister's house yesterday for grilling and it capped off one of those rare nice Memorial Day holiday weekends as there was often a tendency for some kind of rain on any of the 3 days in the past.   Her spot is a great lightning bug habitat with a little creek at the bottom of the property but none were out yet (she said she tends to see them by around June 10).

After another 50 low yesterday, I made it up to 77 IMBY with mostly calm winds. This morning's low was a warmer 58 and it shot up to 82 for a high before the easterly breezes kicked in and dropped me down to a current partly sunny 72 with dp 52.

I am still holding at 0.31" of rain for the month. :huh:  Had pulled out the hose to do a good soaking this past Thursday but may have to come back around again before the heat up later this week.