Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2023 OBS Thread

1 minute ago, Albedoman said:

heck no way, just enough to seal the pollen to the glass LOL

It looks a little better than I thought as it approaches but could fizzle, DP 64F. Certainly not a drought buster but should be enough to water the grass and rinse off the car.  

5-20-2023 8-58-53 PM.jpg

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

just received my 2-5 minute spotty light shower.  Real gully washer , LMAO   But alas, the bird crap is still on the sidewalk and driveway. well something is better than nothing

Yeah, this blob is shrinking as it moves E...I may not see a drop, pathetic.

path.jpg

.03". Our rain barrel is situated in the back yard, and will eventually feed off of about 1/4 of my roof. One of the gutters feeding it has had a low spot and a leak since we moved here several years ago and I've been putting off fixing it. Well I guess it rained enough to start leaking again, so I hope *something* made it into the rain barrel. I guess it's finally time to do something about that.

Ever the data-acquisition nerd that I am, I'm most curious to see how I can correlate the amount of rain in my gauge to whatever volume fills the rain barrel. I can do quick, back-of-the-envelop math, but it will be nice to have actual, empirical data. Maybe we'll have some actual precip in mid June. Meh.

16 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

.03". Our rain barrel is situated in the back yard, and will eventually feed off of about 1/4 of my roof. One of the gutters feeding it has had a low spot and a leak since we moved here several years ago and I've been putting off fixing it. Well I guess it rained enough to start leaking again, so I hope *something* made it into the rain barrel. I guess it's finally time to do something about that.

Ever the data-acquisition nerd that I am, I'm most curious to see how I can correlate the amount of rain in my gauge to whatever volume fills the rain barrel. I can do quick, back-of-the-envelop math, but it will be nice to have actual, empirical data. Maybe we'll have some actual precip in mid June. Meh.

How large is the barrel? 55gal or larger?

My friend has a 300gal bin he uses for garden/grass/outside stuff. All I can say is it fills up pretty quick w/a T-storm. Problem is we are lacking that this Spring and really nothing in the near future. If this was a normal Spring your barrel would probably be full.

Rain just about done, enough to wet the streets.

5-21-2023 12-18-47 AM.jpg

29 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

How large is the barrel? 55gal or larger?

My friend has a 300gal bin he uses for garden/grass/outside stuff. All I can say is it fills up pretty quick w/a T-storm. Problem is we are lacking that this Spring and really nothing in the near future. If this was a normal Spring your barrel would probably be full.

Rain just about done, enough to wet the streets.

5-21-2023 12-18-47 AM.jpg

55gal. We're looking to get another one for the front. We have a split-level house, so the roof geometry is... interesting. But yeah, any other year I'm sure it would be full by now. My dang grass is starting to go to seed after just being mowed a week ago. It's the damndest thing.

Made it up to 77 today after a low of 55.  When I went to bed last night, the broken precipitation line ahead of the front was incoming and by early this morning, the line had solidified, but not until after it hit New Jersey (and eventually reached the coast).  So as as a result, I only picked up 0.03" from it (2-day total was 0.21").  I'll have to settle for that.

Currently 64 with dp 53.

Today looks to be our only above normal temperature day of the week. Overall temps looks to stay near to slightly below normal as we have a good chance to finish with our 1st below normal temperature month of the year and first since our below normal December 2022. Dry weather all work week but it looks a bit unsettled by the 2nd half of Memorial Day weekend.
Records for today: High 95 (1941) / Low 34 (1963) / Rain 2.59" (1915)

image.png.a7219833a344829205e6df808d962ae0.png

Sun should be on the increase this afternoon with highs a couple degrees below yesterday and slightly below normal levels for late May. Much of the next week looks to average near to slighly below normal across the area. Best rain chances look like Saturday night through Monday...but it will not be a wash out for outdoor plans over the holiday weekend.
Records for today: High 94 (1925) / Low 32 (1963) / Rain 2.02" (1989)
image.png.c5852b0d3ef870f822e68d5490c3e612.png

11 hours ago, RedSky said:

Family member wants to know why it doesn't rain lol

I wonder to what extent the cool and very dry weather is attributable to the smoky atmosphere that has been in place over the eastern US this month. Wildfire smoke is known to reduce temperature by absorbing and, to some extent, reflecting solar radiation in the upper troposphere (and even into the stratosphere if it's hitched a ride there on towering pyroCb clouds), and by altering cloud microphysics which can increase the brightness and reflectivity of clouds. It can also reduce rainfall by weakening instability and the resultant convective updrafts, and by the same microphysical cloud changes. I wonder, too, if by warming the upper atmosphere, it might even lessen elevated convection, since there would be weaker lapse rates due to the smoke. On the plus side, the filtered solar radiation should result in somewhat reduced evaporation rates.

• Weenie 1

Lows this morning 46.5 were running 8 to 10 degrees below normal levels this AM. Those relatively chilly overnights look to continue over the next few nights. Today will feature above normal temps well into the 70's before we cool back down to below normal both Thursday and Friday. A chance of some showers looks to work it's way into the area by Sunday but best chances will be southeast of Chester County.
Records for today: High 91 (1964) / Low 30 (1956) / Rain 1.36" (1930)
image.png.6dfdd71d8e4bc6e69e007bbbd0d8c5de.png

My low yesterday was 47 and high was 82 and I shockingly got 0.01" of rain - which was not expected since the rain from the front was pretty diffuse.  In fact, just after midnight, I got another 0.01" out of nowhere so have a total of 0.02" from the anemic 2-day event and so far 0.31" for the entire month of May.

Currently 51 and somewhat hazy with dp 43.

7 of the last 10 days have featured below normal temperatures. The next couple days will continue that trend before a warm to near normal over the weekend and slightly above normal temps by next week. We have a good chance to finish in the top 20 coldest May's in Chester County history. If the month ended today it would be the 15th chilliest May on record. Unfortunately, rain chances continue to look slim across most of Chester County with the best chance of any rain being Memorial Day evening. In fact with only 0.21" of rain so far this month we are well on our way to the 2nd dryest May in Chester County history...behind only 1964 that received a paltry 0.14" of rain.
Records for today: High 92 (1991) / Low 38 (1926) / Rain 1.92" (1952)
image.png.1614f80f0523d8167a263407fcc330a5.png

On 5/23/2023 at 10:40 AM, TheClimateChanger said:

I wonder to what extent the cool and very dry weather is attributable to the smoky atmosphere that has been in place over the eastern US this month. Wildfire smoke is known to reduce temperature by absorbing and, to some extent, reflecting solar radiation in the upper troposphere (and even into the stratosphere if it's hitched a ride there on towering pyroCb clouds), and by altering cloud microphysics which can increase the brightness and reflectivity of clouds. It can also reduce rainfall by weakening instability and the resultant convective updrafts, and by the same microphysical cloud changes. I wonder, too, if by warming the upper atmosphere, it might even lessen elevated convection, since there would be weaker lapse rates due to the smoke. On the plus side, the filtered solar radiation should result in somewhat reduced evaporation rates.

Sounds like a phd to me. Interesting observation.