• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2023 OBS Thread

Some of the lower and coldest spots like Marsh Creek did briefly hit the freezing mark this morning.  Here in East Nantmeal we dropped to 35.9 degrees this is the 3rd coldest May 18th reading since 1894. Only colder were both 1983 and 1973 at 33 degrees. Well below normal temps will continue today before warming to near normal tomorrow. Rain chances increase on Saturday before clearing out on Sunday. Let's hope for some much needed rain as we are now exactly 5" below normal for the year.
Records for today: High 95 (1962) / Low 33 (1983/1973) / Rain 2.39" (1988)
image.png.7057fa94a440bbbe7eb7093716992614.png

39 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

M'eh, in-and-out cold, story of the winter. Temps quickly rebound so we get nothing but rain this weekend. :thumbsdown:

Actually the rain this weekend, looks to be mostly light/showers if anything. The main batch looks to stay offshore and the front dries up before reaching the area according to the latest euro/NAM/GFS. CMC is the only one holding on to a prolonged period of rain this weekend. Honestly the next 10-14 days looks bone dry around here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Allentown got to 32F breaking the record of 35F which was the last of the 30's in the cold spring of 1983.

Mt. Pocono (with a 26) and Trenton (with a 37) also had record lows this morning -

The 41 ended up being my low this morning and I did quickly rebound.  Currently a pleasant 63 with dp that has crept up to 40 now, after going as low as 26 earlier this morning.

58 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Enough of the cold May days already, actually maybe finally it will be after tomorrow.

:oldman:

Miss the T-Storm activity but w/sun (Vit D), cool temps/low DPs/breezy, you can't knock this Spring. Got the tan/burnt early this year. Allergies and that green/yellow crap/sludge on the car will always happen regardless. Solid B+ Spring so far...

64F/DP 48F

bb.jpg

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

Enough of the cold May days already, actually maybe finally it will be after tomorrow.

I think the only reason I'm looking forward to warmer temps is the increased chances of atmospheric instability. It's so dry here. We had 3" of rain at the end of April and nadda since.

I think... I think this again might be my fault. Last November I bought a fancy-pants, new electric snowblower that saw virtually zero use last winter. Just a week ago, I installed a really pretty, 55gal rain barrel off the side of the house. Am I cursed? I mean, I'm an atheist, so no, but still. Am I? lol global weirding in full effect

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

I think the only reason I'm looking forward to warmer temps is the increased chances of atmospheric instability. It's so dry here. We had 3" of rain at the end of April and nadda since.

I think... I think this again might be my fault. Last November I bought a fancy-pants, new electric snowblower that saw virtually zero use last winter. Just a week ago, I installed a really pretty, 55gal rain barrel off the side of the house. Am I cursed? I mean, I'm an atheist, so no, but still. Am I? lol global weirding in full effect

I weigh the HHH uncomfortable crap/ against the dry cool non T storm stuff...but in the end I like this pattern. Stuff will change, still have the flannel on/windows open/50s and it's May/fire-pit/BBQs...not bad.

53.jpg

Just wow.  Drizzle around noon. Air too stable to even spit out enough moisture to wet the road. The front is already falling apart as I type this . May get here with just some sprinkles to wet the blades of the parched grass. Thats it.  I mowed the yard and some parts are already starting to be stressed  crazy but not from the heat but the lack of humidity as dewpoints are not being achieved from the dry winds.

Folks, this is getting pretty serious. I see no significant rain until AFTER THE FIRST WEEK IN JUNE.   The farmers just seeded the dust fields in Lehigh County with corn/soybeans.  That planting will not come up for weeks now. Late harvests may have normal yields if we get good rains in late June into July especially when  the soil temps were already two - three weeks behind with the cool spell in early May.

Again, stream flow is my big concern. As people really start sucking water out of the ground to keep their garden going and lawn and golf course from being stressed and turning yellow so early, the water tables will fall even faster and stream flows will begin to disappear, especially in the karst topography areas of south central and eastern PA. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

Just wow.  Drizzle around noon. Air too stable to even spit out enough moisture to wet the road. The front is already falling apart as I type this . May get here with just some sprinkles to wet the blades of the parched grass. Thats it.  I mowed the yard and some parts are already starting to be stressed  crazy but not from the heat but the lack of humidity as dewpoints are not being achieved from the dry winds.

Folks, this is getting pretty serious. I see no significant rain until AFTER THE FIRST WEEK IN JUNE.   The farmers just seeded the dust fields in Lehigh County with corn/soybeans.  That planting will not come up for weeks now. Late harvests may have normal yields if we get good rains in late June into July especially when  the soil temps were already two - three weeks behind with the cool spell in early May.

Again, stream flow is my big concern. As people really start sucking water out of the ground to keep their garden going and lawn and golf course from being stressed and turning yellow so early, the water tables will fall even faster and stream flows will begin to disappear, especially in the karst topography areas of south central and eastern PA. 

I am sure the cut off upper-level low that usually comes on Memorial Day weekend will show up and wash out Sunday and Monday this upcoming weekend.  

3 hours ago, RedSky said:

Hard to believe it went from squashing the mini drought in April and now about as dry a stretch as I ever seen looking out through the next two weeks. The corn crops are resilient but I don't think they are going to survive this. 

I remember each time coming home from the NJ shore and picking up corn and tomatoes from a local farmer. Best damn corn and tomatoes. Forget how much the tomatoes were but corn was 10 ears/$1. I shop at produce junction now (cheapest around) and 5 ears cost $3 and not half as good and small. Walmart wanted $3.69 for 4 ears....WTF? 

67F/Cloudy...only had a coating of rain w/some mist.