• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2023 OBS Thread

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Someone wake RedSky up - possibility of seeing aurora borealis tonight, clouds allowing.

Screenshot_20230423-172138_copy_1159x1362_copy_463x545.png.abdb8e6a2e19e6ae840e12a72a9b18a5.png

Wow - I saw an article earlier about it and it was originally expected for the usual places viewable when there is a geomagnetic storm - Canada and far northern U.S.

There has been some CAA clouds drifting in and out so it wouldn't surprise me if some layer of "blocking clouds" ends up killing that idea down this way.  And even then, we would be at the southern fringe so need some dark sky location.

SWPC link for this - https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g1-g2-minor-moderate-geomagnetic-storm-watches-23-24-april-2023

On 4/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, CoolHandMike said:

Huh. Woke up today with .29" in the bucket. Nice, but not enough for Berks County to rescind their outdoor burn ban. Hope it lifts by the end of May at least because my wife and I were planning some evening firepit campfires the week of our anniversary.

Still active? I did a couple BBQ's and a fire pit. I see Berks has restrictions for now...I don't think it will last for much longer.

49F

It looks like we see below normal temperatures to over the next week to finish out the month of April. Normal highs are in the mid to upper 60's. There could be some patchy frost across lower spots in the county over the next 2 nights. There is a slight chance of showers on Wed night...but a dry work week before rain chances increase for next weekend.
Records for today: High 90 (1960) / Low 26 (1931) / Rain 2.40" (1968)
image.png.8a400678471f1f992a8d891ba51deb1e.png

1 hour ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Looking like a super soaker event Beginning Thursday. 

*sigh* We usually spend the weekend camping for the race in Dover. We cancelled this year after looking at the forecast.  Was not looking forward to rain, wind and 50 degrees for 4 days straight. 

Too bad it isn't winter. Any coastal on the long- or medium-range models would morph into nothing more than a lakes cutter with a trailing frontal passage for us. :P

Gorgeous morning out there for an un-Jeb walk, 49F. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Too bad it isn't winter. Any coastal on the long- or medium-range models would morph into nothing more than a lakes cutter with a trailing frontal passage for us. :P

Gorgeous morning out there for an un-Jeb walk, 49F. 

Was ready to post this, hit 50F w/a DP of 36F, really can't beat this. Birds chirping ape-shit as well... 

Also, we recorded about 7.5" of snow in Fleetwood this winter. Which somehow beat out three winters ago, 2019-2020, when we only got 7.1". Millersville only received 0.9" of snow this winter, absolutely destroying the old record of around 4.5". You almost can't believe to receive that little snow in a winter, but somehow we did. 

Bottomed out at 41 here this morning and the dp has definitely tanked since the weekend.  I had popped out before 5 am this morning and you could see the stars pretty clearly. However you could also see a very high hazy deck of cirrus as well so don't know how much if any of an aurora might have been viewable down this far.

Currently a mostly sunny 58, with a few scattered cumulus, and a dp of 35.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

How about that GFS trending to a squashed non event for the Thur-Sat storm

Too much blocking...

Doing outside stuff at the moment, cranking some Hendrix/BBQ maybe a fire-pit? Could be worse? Not really that bad.

Would like some flying cows/wildfires/tornadoes/flooding rains though...

56F/30F DP...pretty good.

56F.jpg

12 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Doing outside stuff at the moment, cranking some Hendrix/BBQ maybe a fire-pit? Could be worse? Not really that bad.

Would like some flying cows/wildfires/tornadoes/flooding rains though...

56F/30F DP...pretty good.

56F.jpg

We're under a burn ban here in Berks, hoping it lifts by the end of the month since my wife and I would like to have a back yard campfire for our anniversary (we've spent a majority of our anniversaries camping). Really enjoying this cooler respite though. Got down to 32 and change last night and have another frost warning tonight, currently 36.6°F which is (yet again!) ~5°F lower than my local forecast. Have lots of seedlings already planted in the veggie garden, am slightly worried about that.

30 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

We're under a burn ban here in Berks, hoping it lifts by the end of the month since my wife and I would like to have a back yard campfire for our anniversary (we've spent a majority of our anniversaries camping). Really enjoying this cooler respite though. Got down to 32 and change last night and have another frost warning tonight, currently 36.6°F which is (yet again!) ~5°F lower than my local forecast. Have lots of seedlings already planted in the veggie garden, am slightly worried about that.

Yeah, I read. I think they'll lift it sooner.

37F

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Communities/Wildfire/BurnBans/Pages/default.aspx#:~:text=Current Burn Bans%3A,to confirm burning is permitted.

save.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Nice. Should have clarified that our anniversary is in June, so hopefully this will still happen. Why am I up so late. 35.7°F out. Thanks @Birds~69. Night all. 

Some areas of frost and even a few freezing temperatures in the lower spots of the county this morning. Below normal temps will continue through this last week of April. Some slight rain chances tomorrow night but rain will be likely by the weekend.
Records for today: High 93 (1915) / Low 28 (1922) / Rain 1.50" (1975)
image.png.900ed5cd1fb92de1dcfa1e5f26c19d1f.png

On 4/24/2023 at 12:04 PM, Newman said:

Also, we recorded about 7.5" of snow in Fleetwood this winter. Which somehow beat out three winters ago, 2019-2020, when we only got 7.1". Millersville only received 0.9" of snow this winter, absolutely destroying the old record of around 4.5". You almost can't believe to receive that little snow in a winter, but somehow we did. 

3rd lowest ever in Chesco....