Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2023

George BM

25 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

What an unbelievable run. Absolute domination. I was in shock. They were flooring it from the moment the ball was inbounded in the second half.

I can't think of a team recently that has done this in the first 4 games - 2016 'Nova comes close, but jfc.

• Like 1

Not for our region, but the Storm Prediction Center has upgraded central and southern Mississippi and Alabama to a Moderate Risk of tornadoes for this afternoon and tonight. And the KMXX radar is down for major upgrades on the east side of the Moderate risk zone near Montgomery/Auburn Alabama. What a change from a few days ago and a marginal risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I was in Detroit for that Final Four. It’s an awesome experience.

Yeah Carolina has had some beast-level teams over the past 15 years or so.  Must be nice to have your team just beat the shit out of everyone the entire way.  When UVA won it in 2019, I think a few years were taken off my life lol.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, southmdwatcher said:

Not for our region, but the Storm Prediction Center has upgraded central and southern Mississippi and Alabama to a Moderate Risk of tornadoes for this afternoon and tonight. And the KMXX radar is down for major upgrades on the east side of the Moderate risk zone near Montgomery/Auburn Alabama. What a change from a few days ago and a marginal risk.

yeah it's getting real dicey down there for this afternoon.  I hope folks are prepared.

Dont look now, but Palisades is gonna get smashed AGAIN!

You might want to keep a weather eye on these webcams.

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams

Snow is ALREADY blowing across the 8200' level platform!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Reno NV
205 PM PDT Mon Mar 27 2023

CAZ072-NVZ002-282200-
/O.CON.KREV.WS.W.0010.230328T1200Z-230329T1200Z/
Greater Lake Tahoe Area-
Including the cities of South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Stateline,
and Incline Village
205 PM PDT Mon Mar 27 2023

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TUESDAY TO
5 AM PDT WEDNESDAY...

* CHANGES...None.

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 16
  inches, except 16 to 28 inches above 7000 feet west of Highway
  89. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph with Sierra ridge gusts in
  excess of 80 mph.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area.

* WHEN...From 5 AM Tuesday to 5 AM PDT Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult to impossible. Gusty
  winds will likely create whiteout conditions and considerable
  drifting of snow.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...There will be a brief break in the snowfall
  Wednesday morning. However, snow showers are expected to develop
  late in the morning through the afternoon with additional
  accumulations expected. Prepare for travel impacts to persist,
  especially on approaches to Donner Pass and Echo Summit. Snow
  showers will be most intense near these passes and on the west
  slopes. Winds will be much lighter for Wednesday.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Avoid travel if possible, you could be stuck in your vehicle for
many hours. If you must travel, prepare for long delays and carry
an emergency kit with extra food, water and clothing. If you stay
home, have a backup plan in case of power outages.

The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

&&

$$

NEEDLESS TO SAY...... I AM BESIDE MYSELF WITH SUBLIME JOY!

• Like 1

I've said it before tonight BUT PALISADES IS GETTING POUNDED by snows right NOW!!!!!

Check out the Siberia cam and the High Camp cams!!!!!!

Snow is POURING DOWN, and it is BLOWING AROUND!

I WUB those western ski resorts so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so frackin' CRAZY about the deep snow at the high western ski resorts, that I would willingly sell my soul, in order to spend a MONTH at a place like Alta, Utah or especially MAMMOTH!

There just is not enough snow, NEVER EVER enough snow in weathafella land, to ever sate my insane snow needs! I require dangerous avalanches, perilous roofalanches and those beautiful cornices that hang SIX FEET off roofs! I crave INTERLODGE, too!

HERE IS A PRIME EXAMPLE of why I worship the Sierra mountain communities so damn much!

This video is my very heart!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:37 PM, pazzo83 said:

yeah - only using your mirrors is really bad advice.  Also - real city driving requires 100% focus.  The number of folks driving in DC proper I see on their phones is just astounding.  You have to be paying attention to everything - all the other vehicles (where they might stop suddenly for no apparent reason), pedestrians, bikes, delivery trucks, emergency vehicles, buses, etc etc.

This is what truly scares the crap out of me...we took a day trip on Saturday, and I was astounded at how many folks ON THE INTERSTATES were weaving/bobbing on the road, and (no surprise) were head-down on their damn phones. I'm somewhat guilty in this regard, but FFS, if I have to take a call I'll do so through my car's Bluetooth connection to stay focused on the road, and if I'm THAT compelled to answer a text I'll DICTATE it via Google Assistant. I'm truly surprised there aren't more accidents.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:26 AM, Always in Zugzwang said:

To @vastateofmind...wishing you Happy Birthday, from a fellow March 25th-er!!  Not sure about you, but strangely, I've found my birthday to be either kind or cruel some years.  March in general seems to be that way to me.  Something fun or good that day, or something unpleasant or downright awful.  Kind of a strange contrast!  On the lousy end, I've had chicken pox over my birthday, I have been mugged on that day (still a very vivid memory), and I saw Purdue (in 1988) get knocked out of the tournament in a year they were widely thought to go to the Final 4!  But...I've had some very fun times with friends and family that I also remember, people who helped make it a good day for me, took me out, etc.  I guess because of all that, I have always felt that everyone should be entitled to enjoy something special or fun on their birthday.  Doesn't have to be anything big, but just to have a great day!  So...have a great birthday and a fun time for yourself!

Thank you @Always in Zugzwang for the common b'day wish -- you always remember! -- and TY to others for the well wishes. I can honestly say that most of my birthdays have not been as memorable as some of yours, with the exception of when we were out of town, four hours away, for my birthday seven years ago...and I got the call early that morning from the vet/kennel where our 10-year old Labrador retriever was boarding. He had developed stomach bloat overnight, and it had become so severe that there was no viable options to comfortably extend his life beyond that. He was sedated but in a lot of agony...and I had to make the long-distance/remote decision to have the vet euthanize our four-legged friend. To keep him alive for another four hours so we could be there would've been agonizing for him, and as much as we loved him and wanted to say goodbye, I couldn't put him through that. Thank heaven, we had a wonderful neighbor who was great friends with him, who went to the vet to be with him while he slipped away. Worst...birthday...ever.  :( 

On 3/25/2023 at 3:44 PM, CAPE said:

Sipping on an LTO High Rye, a Barrel aged Imperial Stout from Ten Eyck. Outstanding.

Adding THIS one to the list....thanks, @CAPE!

On 3/26/2023 at 8:19 AM, nj2va said:

My bracket is done (total of 35 points oof) but my partner picked Creighton / UConn in the championship and I laughed at him. He hasn’t watched one second of college basketball this year. Go figure. 

Oh, dude....the stories I've heard this week about exploded (or imploded!) brackets.  :D  And yeah, I notice that the folks who just kinda throw the bracket together on a whim (like your partner) tend to have the best luck...   :) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It is simply snowing hard, and blowing like crazy in Tahoe! The awesomeness unfolding particularly on the 8200' level platform is what you could refer to as My Precious! I am the Smeagle of snow, especially in the presence of extremely high altitude ski resorts and raging deadly blizzards with 199 mph gusts like those you will often find at the Sierra Crest!

Check out the second camera, the famed High Camp webcam! That snow is just swirling around on the platform! That beautiful drift is developing as high winds and incredible Pacific moisture conspire to bring out the very best in the Sierra! Visibilities have gone straight to snowy, blizzardy HELL! The temperature is so sweet, only 20 degrees!

This song by Peter Cetera has got to be one of the BEST of all-time for snow jebwalking, or even just admiration and total, heartfelt WORSHIP of a Sierran blizzard in all of its beauty and awesomeness!

Turn your speakers up to 979 decibels and let the music carry you away as you are transported to snowy Sierran Heaven by a sweet beautiful webcam!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

It is simply snowing hard, and blowing like crazy in Tahoe! The awesomeness unfolding particularly on the 8200' level platform is what you could refer to as My Precious! I am the Smeagle of snow, especially in the presence of extremely high altitude ski resorts and raging deadly blizzards with 199 mph gusts like those you will often find at the Sierra Crest!

Check out the second camera, the famed High Camp webcam! That snow is just swirling around on the platform! That beautiful drift is developing as high winds and incredible Pacific moisture conspire to bring out the very best in the Sierra! Visibilities have gone straight to snowy, blizzardy HELL! The temperature is so sweet, only 20 degrees!

This song by Peter Cetera has got to be one of the BEST of all-time for snow jebwalking, or even just admiration and total, heartfelt WORSHIP of a Sierran blizzard in all of its beauty and awesomeness!

Turn your speakers up to 979 decibels and let the music carry you away as you are transported to snowy Sierran Heaven by a sweet beautiful webcam!

i don't really think peter was singing about snow here, jeb

Feel your breath on my shoulder
And I know we couldn't get any closer
I don't want to act tough, I just want to fall in love
As we move into the night I get crazy
Thinking how it's gonna be with you baby
I don't want to play rough I've been loving you enough
Oh, baby
I want to take forever tonight
Want to stay in this moment forever
I'm gonna give you all the love that I've got
Fill you up, fill you up with love
When we close the door all I need is in your eyes
Touch my lips, I'm on fire
You're the only one I'll ever desire
Turn the lights down low, make the world go slow
When I'm holding you tonight it's so easy
Nothing moves me like you do when you tease me
And to rush would be a crime
I just want to spend some time with you baby
Fill you up, fill you up with love
When we close the door all I need is in your eyes
And when I'm here beside you
I want to see what drives you out of your mind
I never want to leave I only want to be with you
'Cause I love how you feel your love is so real
'Cause I can't live without you

5 hours ago, MacChump said:

i don't really think peter was singing about snow here, jeb

No, he was not singing about the snow specifically, but for me, the music really works well making me feel even more happy about all the snow and how it is being blown across that 8200' platform by those strong Sierran winds! It's all about how the music makes you FEEL and snow and emotions. I am SOOOOOOOO head over heels in LOVE with western ski resorts! That music, makes me feel even happier about it! THEY ARE GONNA GET PLASTERED WITH TWO MORE FEET OF SNOW!

I am going back to full on crazy about weather, I even wub the FLOODS in California! You Tube is chock FULL of snow vids, flood vids in California!!! I have lost so many HOURS lost in wonder over all the deep deep snow in the Sierra and all the wonderful mudslides and the incredible flooding! They said that Lake Mead is gonna bring record flooding this spring! I want even MORE heavy torrential snows in the Sierra! We have got to make sure California has enough water this year. It's so DRY there! I never ever get enough Sierran snows! Enough, with me, is never ever enough! I'll be blasting Cetera songs while I feast on all the wonderful avalanches, roofalanches, mudslides and all the flooding, likely the WORST since we first settled the West!!!

It helps to realize something about me:

I worship snow, to the TOTAL EXCLUSION of everything else and everyone else!

I dont give a flip about anything on earth except torrential snows! That's why I am pulling for a total cessation of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, (AMOC). I crave The Day After Tomorrow, FOR REAL!

Something I forgot to mention here: I just wub the plight of the ski resorts and their BURIED chairlifts! Poor Tahoe and their KT-22 lift! Every time they get significant snow, like they are getting now, they have to dig out the KT-22 chairlift BY HAND, using Jebman shovels! I always get a good laugh out of this! There's gonna be a LOT of digging out this weekend, becuase they got that wintergrass festival comin up! They will likely need all five hands up on deck to clean the High Camp platform again! I wish I could go up there and dig out the 8200' level platform all by myself! I'd show them how to dig snow!

THE VERY LATEST FROM RENO NWS!!!

FXUS65 KREV 282152
AFDREV

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Reno NV
252 PM PDT Tue Mar 28 2023

.SYNOPSIS...

A late winter storm will bring stronger winds especially for
mountain tops, heavy Sierra snowfall, and valley rain or snow
showers through tonight. Cold and showery conditions are likely
to continue Wednesday, with reduced shower chances Thursday and
Friday. It will remain cool into the weekend and beyond with
additional chances for precipitation.

&&

.SHORT TERM...

Latest radar imagery reveals heavy precipitation spreading north to
south as it accompanies a cold front passage associated with a mid-
latitude cyclone circulating off the coast of Oregon and
California this afternoon. Snowfall rates between 1-2" per hour
are likely (>80% chance) through this evening in the Sierra from
the Tahoe Basin north, with similar chances through early tomorrow
morning for the Sierra in Mono County. Gusty winds, coupled with
light snow character, will lead to periods of low visibility due
to blowing snow in the Sierra through the evening. The southerly
flow with this system will keep far western Nevada largely
shadowed, with generally little to no accumulations expected
outside of foothill locations. Rain showers are also evident
generally along and east of US-95 this afternoon, with high-
resolution guidance indicating these showers will intensify and
continue to spread eastward tonight. Snow levels are expected to
crash well below valley floors following the cold-frontal passage
this afternoon, which may lead to travel difficulties for I-80
and US-50 east of US-95 as rain changes to snow after sunset.
Through tomorrow morning, expect an additional 2-3 feet of snow
along the Sierra crest, 6-12 inches in northeast California west
of US-395, 12-18 inches along the Tahoe west shore, 6-12 inches
along the Tahoe east shore, and 1-2 feet in the Eastern Sierra
west of US-395.

I am obviously very happy about this! KT-22 and hundreds of lifts across the Sierran Cordillera will need to be dug out laboriously by hand, while catastrophic snow loading on homes in mountain communities will not spare and will show absolutely NO MERCY.

Ski Patrollers who maintain the various lifts and associated shacks will be stressed to well beyond their limits by the admittedly historic snows. This is no time to try and be a hero, but many will attempt the feat, and end up with a badly pulled and overstressed back. People who attempt to walk in the blowing snows will become disorientated and confused and succumb to the heavy snow. It will be very much like what happened in Buffalo NY communities during the November 2022 lake effect snows. They will simply get too cold then fall right over like Luke Skywalker did on Hoth and freeze to death. Strong Pacific storm windfields will pile on more snow, drifting many structures well beyond their engineered limits. The character of the snow is light and fluffy. Strong winds can and will readily pile that snow up. Destructive cornices will develop on many structures. Some will collapse, resulting in beloved roofalanches which will subsequently be documented on YouTube and ravenously enjoyed by yours truly. Roofalanche snow can weigh thousands of pounds. Try not to be there when it lets go.

Snow will continue well into the week over the Sierra, bringing gladness to my heart. There will be hundreds of YouTube vids. I'll be in seventh heaven, happily watching every last one of them while blasting Peter Cetera and ELO songs at extremely high volume.

Meteorologist rant / complaint moment.  I'm the president of a local baseball little league with 107 players and we have our big opening day ceremony at 9:00 on Saturday.  It looks guaranteed that we will have to delay by at least a couple of hours which is a bummer but not the end of the world.  The GFS shows the rain ending in Frederick between 10 and 11 which would be fine, we will deal.  The NAM-HIRES shows the line coming through around 10 but with a blob of rain after it ending closer to 1, which would suck.  The Euro doesn't have the hourly timestep yet.

When you are the president of a baseball league planning an event and the success of the day hinges on the difference of a couple of hours, it's really not a great time for people to know you are a meteorologist.  The feeling of helplessness is real.

/complaint

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, catoctin wx said:

Meteorologist rant / complaint moment.  I'm the president of a local baseball little league with 107 players and we have our big opening day ceremony at 9:00 on Saturday.  It looks guaranteed that we will have to delay by at least a couple of hours which is a bummer but not the end of the world.  The GFS shows the rain ending in Frederick between 10 and 11 which would be fine, we will deal.  The NAM-HIRES shows the line coming through around 10 but with a blob of rain after it ending closer to 1, which would suck.  The Euro doesn't have the hourly timestep yet.

When you are the president of a baseball league planning an event and the success of the day hinges on the difference of a couple of hours, it's really not a great time for people to know you are a meteorologist.  The feeling of helplessness is real.

/complaint

Dude, been there (as a coach). Best part is when people still ignore your prediction because “my app says…” and so you still have to drive 30+ minutes to personally attend the rainout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic