Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2023

George BM

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

I dont know that its Covid related....I just think its a multitude of things. The number of people on the roads increases by day, there are more potential distractions than ever and I think in general people just are becoming more aggressive/lack of being carful and taking more risks in just about everything they do. Then combine all the mental health issues, substance abuse etc. Its not going to get better I dont think Ill say that.

Everyone is on edge after so many below average snowfall winters  :ee:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mdhokie said:

I've been WFH for 6 years and don't miss the commute one bit. Feel like covid made people even worse on the roads.

I LOVE being a delivery person so much! NEVER a dull moment! I'd LOVE to try delivery in Tahoe in January in a super Nino!

On 3/23/2023 at 4:20 PM, mappy said:

It’s amazing to me how very basic driving skills, like turning to look over your shoulder when going to change lanes, is lost on people. A quick glance could have saved lives.

On 3/23/2023 at 4:28 PM, H2O said:

I’ve been trying to get my daughter to learn this as she starts driving. Mirrors can’t always give the full picture and prevent two people merging into the same lane at the same time. You have to look

So, BOTH of my parents (and particularly my mother), used to literally SCREAM at me while giving me driving lessons back in the mid-late 80s -- "DON'T you dare look back over your shoulder(s), and ONLY use your mirrors!!!"

Patently, NO. Sorry. I pushed back on that back then (and sometimes lost my driving privileges with my parents' cars because of my "insolence"), and I continue to do so today. And like @H2O, I absolutely refused to teach my sons my parents' fool-hardy approach, when they were learning to drive in the DMV a decade or so ago.

You can still safely take a half-second glance back over EITHER one of your shoulders to switch lanes...and you NEED to in a major metro area, with the kind of traffic that we all have to deal with, from way north of Baltimore, to way south of Richmond.

• Like 3

Can You Dig It?!!!!!!

This is definitely not to be missed, folks!

THE GREAT DIG OUT AT PALISADES!

I wub this ski resort so much! I am beside myself with sublime JOY, about all the deep snowpack Tahoe has to offer!

https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/general/photo-gallery-the-great-dig-out-at-palisades/

Don't forget, they got ANOTHER 2-3 FEET of cold blower POW on the way starting late Monday, you heard that right! This upcoming Monday - EVEN MORE HEAVY POWDER SNOW for Palisades! The dig-out on KT-22 is truly iconic of this season! I wish I could go up there and show those folks how to dig that snow!

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

So, BOTH of my parents (and particularly my mother), used to literally SCREAM at me while giving me driving lessons back in the mid-late 80s -- "DON'T you dare look back over your shoulder(s), and ONLY use your mirrors!!!"

Patently, NO. Sorry. I pushed back on that back then (and sometimes lost my driving privileges with my parents' cars because of my "insolence"), and I continue to do so today. And like @H2O, I absolutely refused to teach my sons my parents' fool-hardy approach, when they were learning to drive in the DMV a decade or so ago.

You can still safely take a half-second glance back over EITHER one of your shoulders to switch lanes...and you NEED to in a major metro area, with the kind of traffic that we all have to deal with, from way north of Baltimore, to way south of Richmond.

yeah - only using your mirrors is really bad advice.  Also - real city driving requires 100% focus.  The number of folks driving in DC proper I see on their phones is just astounding.  You have to be paying attention to everything - all the other vehicles (where they might stop suddenly for no apparent reason), pedestrians, bikes, delivery trucks, emergency vehicles, buses, etc etc.

• Like 1

To @vastateofmind...wishing you Happy Birthday, from a fellow March 25th-er!!  Not sure about you, but strangely, I've found my birthday to be either kind or cruel some years.  March in general seems to be that way to me.  Something fun or good that day, or something unpleasant or downright awful.  Kind of a strange contrast!  On the lousy end, I've had chicken pox over my birthday, I have been mugged on that day (still a very vivid memory), and I saw Purdue (in 1988) get knocked out of the tournament in a year they were widely thought to go to the Final 4!  But...I've had some very fun times with friends and family that I also remember, people who helped make it a good day for me, took me out, etc.  I guess because of all that, I have always felt that everyone should be entitled to enjoy something special or fun on their birthday.  Doesn't have to be anything big, but just to have a great day!  So...have a great birthday and a fun time for yourself!

I actually wrote a sort of free-form poem in 2020 about when I got mugged, 30 years before.  I had been meaning to write about the incident for some time but never got around to it until then, thinking that "30 years" would be a good time to do it.  I completed it appropriately (and purposely) right on March 25, 2020 after working on it for a couple of months.  Though I don't think of it so much anymore, I was amazed how much detail I still can remember about it.  It was actually a bit cathartic to put it all into words, a bit of closure in a way.

• Thanks 1

Rolling Fork’s town water tower got pulled up out of the ground and snapped. Like the proverbial piece of straw. Some hardwood trees completely debarked. Lots of comparisons I’m reading this morning to Mayfield, total path length excepted. Seems like an EF4 candidate for sure.

Edit: water tower about 1:20 into the posted drone footage. Seems to be some question as to how well it was anchored. Ratings aside, just devastating.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic