Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2023

George BM

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Not gonna lie, Bar Rescue is kinda fun to watch! And yeah, Star Trek....THAT'S the reason I subscribed to P+ in the first place, and there's a whole lot to choose from, obviously. ST: Strange New Worlds Season 1 is GREAT from start to finish, INCREDIBLE casting, good writing/stories, although they'll have to try to avoid the "sophomore slump" going forward. ST: Lower Decks is also a new favorite, not because it's animated, but because the show is reverent about ALL of the ST TV/movie canon that came before.

ST: Picard...
Season 1 = Not bad
Season 2 = Watchable, but UGH...must ST always go back to the "time travel" trough???
Season 3 (current) = Some of the best ST I've seen in 40 years, and I suspect it's going to end up being a GREAT send-off for the Next Generation cast (that the ST: Nemesis movie NEVER was).

ST: Discovery -- AVOID AT ALL COSTS. This show is abysmal, the writing has been lazy and essentially "called-in" since it debuted 5-6 years ago. Cast is okay, but the stories and changes/updates they ATTEMPTED to make to a half decade of canon in the first two seasons...shame on them. The only way they could possibly redeem this shitshow was to move the ship/cast 3,000 years into the future at the start of Season 3 and going forward, so that they could make up WHATEVER nonsensical crap they wanted to in the far distant future. Good riddance. In fact, die in the future, Discovery...which hopefully it/they will since this coming season is (thankfully) its last.

Finally -- after all of that word salad, I should state that ST: Deep Space Nine remains the peak experience of ST watching. Incredible casting, thoughtful and insightful writing from start to finish over SEVEN seasons, the arguable apogee of TV-based ST. I watched DS9 over seven years in its original run from 1993-2000....but if you give it a try now, in this streaming/bingeing environment that many of us currently live within, I can almost guarantee you that you'll be tempted to watch more than one episode at a time, to see what happens next.

I have a BAD addiction to ST DS9. I binge and I binge. Never purchase a 12.4 inch 5G tablet. You will experience missing time, lol.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kristia said:

Forget what any of the models say. I came home and my teenager was washing dishes. On his own. Without being asked. It’s gonna snow, y'all! :lol:

isn't that like an episode of the twilight zone.  You get bonus points if they also change the litter box!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Not gonna lie, Bar Rescue is kinda fun to watch! And yeah, Star Trek....THAT'S the reason I subscribed to P+ in the first place, and there's a whole lot to choose from, obviously. ST: Strange New Worlds Season 1 is GREAT from start to finish, INCREDIBLE casting, good writing/stories, although they'll have to try to avoid the "sophomore slump" going forward. ST: Lower Decks is also a new favorite, not because it's animated, but because the show is reverent about ALL of the ST TV/movie canon that came before.

ST: Picard...
Season 1 = Not bad
Season 2 = Watchable, but UGH...must ST always go back to the "time travel" trough???
Season 3 (current) = Some of the best ST I've seen in 40 years, and I suspect it's going to end up being a GREAT send-off for the Next Generation cast (that the ST: Nemesis movie NEVER was).

ST: Discovery -- AVOID AT ALL COSTS. This show is abysmal, the writing has been lazy and essentially "called-in" since it debuted 5-6 years ago. Cast is okay, but the stories and changes/updates they ATTEMPTED to make to a half decade of canon in the first two seasons...shame on them. The only way they could possibly redeem this shitshow was to move the ship/cast 3,000 years into the future at the start of Season 3 and going forward, so that they could make up WHATEVER nonsensical crap they wanted to in the far distant future. Good riddance. In fact, die in the future, Discovery...which hopefully it/they will since this coming season is (thankfully) its last.

Finally -- after all of that word salad, I should state that ST: Deep Space Nine remains the peak experience of ST watching. Incredible casting, thoughtful and insightful writing from start to finish over SEVEN seasons, the arguable apogee of TV-based ST. I watched DS9 over seven years in its original run from 1993-2000....but if you give it a try now, in this streaming/bingeing environment that many of us currently live within, I can almost guarantee you that you'll be tempted to watch more than one episode at a time, to see what happens next.

I haven't started S3 of Picard, but I'm glad to hear it'll at least be watchable. The first 2 seasons were OK, but they never really "felt" like authentic Trek to me....Lower Decks I'll agree with you is great and does capture that "feel" more often, and if you've watched at least 2 different Trek series there are a ton of Easter eggs and homages to past shows that had me rolling more than once. It's nice to know that Trek can translate well to humor/animation, and still be able to pull it off.

Have to agree with you on Disco, I tried multiple times, and just could never really get into it.....way overused the Mirror Universe trope, and the whole Red Angel thing was about where I just plain lost interest.....maybe one day I'll get around to watching the rest, at least from a completion standpoint.

If you liked Lower Decks, you may also like Prodigy.... granted its geared towards kids, but I still feel like it has some really good writing, even if it feels just a little Star-Wars-y at times, I have thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

Haven't seem SNW yet, but I have yet to hear anything bad about it, which is surprising considering how most 1st seasons of Trek shows usually go.

DS9, no argument here. It rarely shows its age, and watches more like something written far more recently than 20+ years ago. Just about every plotline feels relevant, perhaps even more so in a post 9/11 world. Remains my favorite out of every Trek I've watched up to this point. "In The Pale Moonlight" is still to this day some of the finest writing I have ever seen in television, Trek or otherwise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alexderiemer said:

I haven't started S3 of Picard, but I'm glad to hear it'll at least be watchable. The first 2 seasons were OK, but they never really "felt" like authentic Trek to me....Lower Decks I'll agree with you is great and does capture that "feel" more often, and if you've watched at least 2 different Trek series there are a ton of Easter eggs and homages to past shows that had me rolling more than once. It's nice to know that Trek can translate well to humor/animation, and still be able to pull it off.

Have to agree with you on Disco, I tried multiple times, and just could never really get into it.....way overused the Mirror Universe trope, and the whole Red Angel thing was about where I just plain lost interest.....maybe one day I'll get around to watching the rest, at least from a completion standpoint.

If you liked Lower Decks, you may also like Prodigy.... granted its geared towards kids, but I still feel like it has some really good writing, even if it feels just a little Star-Wars-y at times, I have thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

Haven't seem SNW yet, but I have yet to hear anything bad about it, which is surprising considering how most 1st seasons of Trek shows usually go.

DS9, no argument here. It rarely shows its age, and watches more like something written far more recently than 20+ years ago. Just about every plotline feels relevant, perhaps even more so in a post 9/11 world. Remains my favorite out of every Trek I've watched up to this point. "In The Pale Moonlight" is still to this day some of the finest writing I have ever seen in television, Trek or otherwise.

Sounds like we approach Trek from the same critical angle.  :)  Given that, I think you will REALLY enjoy Picard S3, certainly more than the first two seasons, as it definitely feels more ST than before. And a GREAT point about ST: Prodigy, didn't mean to leave that one out -- I did watch the first season and was pleasantly surprised at the writing and storyline, and thought the voice cast was quite good. I like that Prodigy's creators/writers not only respect canon, BUT, that they're writing a thoughtfully mature show that's aimed at younger viewers without insulting their intelligence.

And AHHHH, "In the Pale Moonlight" -- agree 500%! An episode that forces us all to consider, "To what lengths will I go to achieve my objectives?" Still get chills watching that one...and it's no accident that it often appears at the top of (or within the top 3) of best ST episodes of all shows/all time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Sounds like we approach Trek from the same critical angle.  :)  Given that, I think you will REALLY enjoy Picard S3, certainly more than the first two seasons, as it definitely feels more ST than before. And a GREAT point about ST: Prodigy, didn't mean to leave that one out -- I did watch the first season and was pleasantly surprised at the writing and storyline, and thought the voice cast was quite good. I like that Prodigy's creators/writers not only respect canon, BUT, that they're writing a thoughtfully mature show that's aimed at younger viewers without insulting their intelligence.

And AHHHH, "In the Pale Moonlight" -- agree 500%! An episode that forces us all to consider, "To what lengths will I go to achieve my objectives?" Still get chills watching that one...and it's no accident that it often appears at the top of (or within the top 3) of best ST episodes of all shows/all time!

I really despise Picard seasons 1 and 2. But 3 at least brings the old character of Jon Luc Picard back, even if it's for the usual foolishness involving eyeball torture and needlessly gruesome deaths

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

I really despise Picard seasons 1 and 2. But 3 at least brings the old character of Jon Luc Picard back, even if it's for the usual foolishness involving eyeball torture and needlessly gruesome deaths

#PREACH. ST:PIC S2 just wasn't that good because they (IMHO) insisted on falling back on the shopworn "time travel" trope...and S3 is the first that I can't wait for the next episode to drop. In recent times, I feel the laziest ST writers return to the "time travel" and "Mirror Universe" wells far too much. While DS9 went there, too, that show's writing and story arcs were original, well done and just consistently good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Really solid win! Great comeback. Horrible start, then take a 7 point lead, and then go down by 8 and then play great down the stretch.

they went on a 26-11 run to end the first half. amazing.

• Like 4

Palisades is sunny and 30 degrees, bluebird conditions for skiing. They have managed to get many of the lifts back in operation. They have at least four feet of hard packed wet now frozen snow on the platform at the 8200' level, they are using a kind of skid steer to remove, it is taking a LOOOOOOOOOO time! Some guy is jebmanning a shovel, you can see this in the webcam.

Someone really needs to school these ski personnel on how to dig the snow! Come on guys, it aint all THAT heavy! They have a couple more good sunny days to dig snow and get all the lifts running and redevelop the terrain parks!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic