Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter 2023

George BM

55 minutes ago, Jebman said:

There is a huge huge GLOB of Pacific moisture on the way to slam HARD right into California and the snow is already picking up BIG-TIME at the Palisades at Tahoe!

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams

They will likely pick up another TWO TO THREE FEET! That wind is just blasting that snow all over the place at the 8200' level!

They are gonna have a LOT of snow to dig, because many of those chairs are gonna be deep under fresh snow! Ha ha they are likely gonna be forced to dig the KT-22 lift out of the deep, drifted snow all over again!

Don’t worry, that’ll be us next winter with our El Niño :mapsnow:

33 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Don’t worry, that’ll be us next winter with our El Niño :mapsnow:

That is exactly correct. You guys are going to get so much snow, you are gonna be TIRED of snow and tired of winter, tired of fighting kickboxer style for a parking space.

In the meantime, you really owe it to yourself to read this blog post on Operations at Palisades. They have ALREADY CLOSED the Resort tomorrow the Fourteenth!

https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/operations/operations-update-palisades-tahoe-will-be-closed-tuesday-march-14th/

That photo of the half buried snowcat is definitely iconic! They are heading for a record total season snowfall! About 800 inches in a season is the current record. I think they have 650 inches or something.

Its BAD as heck up there! Rime ice on chairs that they have to pound off with hammers, compounded by metric tons of the extremely wet, extremely heavy snow that continues to pile up and pile up, that the lift operators have to dig out manually with a Jebman Shovel! You'd think that heavy WET snow would not drift. Think again! That stuff is getting blown around and piling up and drifting shut many a hard, backbreaking work the Ski Operators have broken out their backs trying to dig out for the skiers. They look pretty punked out, and to tell you the truth, I'd be dragged out of there on a damn gurney! It's beyond bad up there right now, and they got a huge Brobdingnagian BLOB of precip inbound that's likely going to bury them alive with three MORE feet of heavy wet snow, that they will have to dig everything out from yet AGAIN on Wednesday! It's surely a snow lover's very wet dream in the high Sierra, but not if its YOUR job to manually move that heavy wet snow with a shovel. I feel for those guys. Lower down in the lowlands, even more torrential rain will add to already catastrophic flooding.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kay said:

For some reason I'm totally amused by the obs thread where the very welcome and legit notable dustings and coatings and single flakes occasionally punctuated by jayyy up in NY getting pummeled. This is not a gripe, totally supportive of anyone chasing it's just funny. Nada here.

Not sure why anyone would post obs from a chase when people here barely see flakes.

Reeks of one-uppance.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Not sure why anyone would post obs from a chase when people here barely see flakes.

Reeks of one-uppance.

I have no problem with it. He's one of ours and has been starving like us. I probably shouldn't have posted just enjoyed catching up to the overall read and needed the chuckle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mappy said:

:( 

Wooow...

Loved him on the team. There's no doubt he brought a spark to the team. But....I do think it's the right move not resigning him.

Howell or bust. We know what we'd get with Heinicke. And it's just, unfortunately, not enough. Definitely wishing him the best though.

43 minutes ago, Its a Breeze said:

Wooow...

Loved him on the team. There's no doubt he brought a spark to the team. But....I do think it's the right move not resigning him.

Howell or bust. We know what we'd get with Heinicke. And it's just, unfortunately, not enough. Definitely wishing him the best though.

Yeah, I get it too. Can't have the fans in the stands booing Howell every time he makes a bad throw because they want Heinicke on the field instead. Heinicke just made bank though, 20mil for 2 years in Atlanta... his hometown to boot. Good for him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yeah, I get it too. Can't have the fans in the stands booing Howell every time he makes a bad throw because they want Heinicke on the field instead. Heinicke just made bank though, 20mil for 2 years in Atlanta... his hometown to boot. Good for him.

I'm hearing that the WTFs did make offers but it got to be above what they wanted to pay.  Thats how it goes.  10 mil a year for a backup is super high end and just not what Rivera wanted to pay for a backup.

And agree with the other part.  If Howell plays bad then all you'd hear is Heinicke's name chanted.  Can't hate the guy for going to where he gets paid.

Any Paramount+ subscribers out there? I initially joined for all the TV/movie Star Trek you can eat (and more), however, we've been surprised by their original-run shows. We just devoured Mayor of Kingstown and Tulsa King within a week...Jeremy Renner (in the former) and Sly Stallone (in the latter) are amazing, as are the other cast members, and the writing on each show is outstanding. Best two shows I've seen in decades...highly recommended, even if you only try P+ for a free month.

REALLY POURING BIG SNOW right now at Palisades!

Unbelievable HUGE drift, just an IMMENSE pile of windblown snow up on the 8200' level platform! It looks like Antarctica up there! Top of Far East webcam shows how heavy the snow really is, against the trees in the background! Wow Tahoe has been completely destroyed by heavy wet snow, and the next couple of days will see ski personnel extremely hard at work trying to dig out Headwall, KT-22 and all the other lifts from very deep very wet snow that has half buried snowcats and many a chair on the lifts! They got a LOT of work to do in the next couple days after the storm lets up! Don't look now but here comes ANOTHER cold trough laden with moderate storms and more fine pow in the next week or so! They dont call this a SKI RESORT for nothing folks! They have seen 655 inches of snow so far this season, with at least two MORE months left of winter! All time record is about 810 inches in one season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Any Paramount+ subscribers out there? I initially joined for all the TV/movie Star Trek you can eat (and more), however, we've been surprised by their original-run shows. We just devoured Mayor of Kingstown and Tulsa King within a week...Jeremy Renner (in the former) and Sly Stallone (in the latter) are amazing, as are the other cast members, and the writing on each show is outstanding. Best two shows I've seen in decades...highly recommended, even if you only try P+ for a free month.

I have lost tons of time getting buried in Paramount Plus movies. Gotta get rid of that new 5G tablet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Yep, I joined that for the Yellowstone prequels (that and I like watching old Brady Bunch and Survivor episodes, yea two totally different shows ha). Will check those out!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yep, I joined that for the Yellowstone prequels (that and I like watching old Brady Bunch and Survivor episodes, yea two totally different shows ha). Will check those out!

Yeah, my spouse wanted P+ for the Yellowstone prequels as well, and those shows mostly delivered (1823 more than 1923, IMHO). I kinda hate-watch Yellowstone now...it's a tad melodramatic and every season seems to have the same ending, but I'll see it through to the end. Interestingly enough, Taylor Sheridan is the producer/writer behind ALL of these shows we're talking about. I happen to think he does prison/mafia-based stories better than neo-Westerns...but again, my opinion only.  ;) 

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I have it for Champions League, but every once in  awhile there's something that the kids or the wife and I are interested in that just happens to be available.

I have so little free time to watch TV that I can't even imagine starting a new series. :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah, my spouse wanted P+ for the Yellowstone prequels as well, and those shows mostly delivered (1823 more than 1923, IMHO). I kinda hate-watch Yellowstone now...it's a tad melodramatic and every season seems to have the same ending, but I'll see it through to the end. Interestingly enough, Taylor Sheridan is the producer/writer behind ALL of these shows we're talking about. I happen to think he does prison/mafia-based stories better than neo-Westerns...but again, my opinion only.  ;) 

Vastate you mentioned Paramount Plus earlier. There are a TON of Star Trek franchises shows on it, I get LOST in it! Also, BAR RESCUE! I LOVE that one!

• Like 1

FINALLY, A MUCH-NEEDED BREAK in the Palisades, as ski personnel dig out from that latest storm. Very icy on the mountain from rain that fell as far up as 9000 feet. 

The 8200' level platform looks like the high Arctic! Top of Siberian Express has snow up to the chair! Crews are gonna be digging it for quite a while! In one of their blog posts, top of the Emigrant lift has got snow up to the lift building itself and chairs are mired in new snow! Its amazing how much snow these people have been slammed by! They have seen 662 inches on the season!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jebman said:

Vastate you mentioned Paramount Plus earlier. There are a TON of Star Trek franchises shows on it, I get LOST in it! Also, BAR RESCUE! I LOVE that one!

Not gonna lie, Bar Rescue is kinda fun to watch! And yeah, Star Trek....THAT'S the reason I subscribed to P+ in the first place, and there's a whole lot to choose from, obviously. ST: Strange New Worlds Season 1 is GREAT from start to finish, INCREDIBLE casting, good writing/stories, although they'll have to try to avoid the "sophomore slump" going forward. ST: Lower Decks is also a new favorite, not because it's animated, but because the show is reverent about ALL of the ST TV/movie canon that came before.

ST: Picard...
Season 1 = Not bad
Season 2 = Watchable, but UGH...must ST always go back to the "time travel" trough???
Season 3 (current) = Some of the best ST I've seen in 40 years, and I suspect it's going to end up being a GREAT send-off for the Next Generation cast (that the ST: Nemesis movie NEVER was).

ST: Discovery -- AVOID AT ALL COSTS. This show is abysmal, the writing has been lazy and essentially "called-in" since it debuted 5-6 years ago. Cast is okay, but the stories and changes/updates they ATTEMPTED to make to a half decade of canon in the first two seasons...shame on them. The only way they could possibly redeem this shitshow was to move the ship/cast 3,000 years into the future at the start of Season 3 and going forward, so that they could make up WHATEVER nonsensical crap they wanted to in the far distant future. Good riddance. In fact, die in the future, Discovery...which hopefully it/they will since this coming season is (thankfully) its last.

Finally -- after all of that word salad, I should state that ST: Deep Space Nine remains the peak experience of ST watching. Incredible casting, thoughtful and insightful writing from start to finish over SEVEN seasons, the arguable apogee of TV-based ST. I watched DS9 over seven years in its original run from 1993-2000....but if you give it a try now, in this streaming/bingeing environment that many of us currently live within, I can almost guarantee you that you'll be tempted to watch more than one episode at a time, to see what happens next.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic