Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March Banter 2023

George BM

19 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Okay, totally idiot question that will again out me as one of the youngest members here -- though I bet @Cobalt knows the answer to this anyway. What was so special about '93 locally? I understand how nuts the whole system was, but it looks like just a solid MECS - maybe HECS out west - every time I look at the snow map. 

Superstorm 93 can be divisive around here because although it was an incredible event, it wasn't much for some peoples' yards in our area.  I lived in Calvert then and we got 6 inches then sleet, then rain and the temp spiked to 50.  Got a couple inches of back end snow later to freshen up the slush.  It was one hell of a gut punch seeing a raging blizzard in part of the deep south while I got wet snow to rain.  Ohhhh what could have been had there been a better antecedent air mass and a track farther east.  That one event had a lot of influence on me leaving southern MD once I was locked into DC for work.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Superstorm 93 can be divisive around here because although it was an incredible event, it wasn't much for some peoples' yards in our area.  I lived in Calvert then and we got 6 inches then sleet, then rain and the temp spiked to 50.  Got a couple inches of back end snow later to freshen up the slush.  It was one hell of a gut punch seeing a raging blizzard in part of the deep south while I got wet snow to rain.  Ohhhh what could have been had there been a better antecedent air mass and a track farther east.  That one event had a lot of influence on me leaving southern MD once I was locked into DC for work.

I don't know about divisive, I think all can agree it was an amazing storm overall and truly the Storm of the Century. But yeah, in terms of snow for most in this area, it left more to be desired. I don't recall what was in the forecast for us, but I know I wanted more!

The winds with it were pretty cool around here....but was painful as you were sand blasted with sleet! The cold that followed the storm though, absolutely bone chilling.

3 hours ago, adelphi_sky said:

If the upcoming snow threat becomes more real, I may have to go and rescue my weather station that is currently hanging off the side of my roof at a 30 degree angle. hehe. Might just get a new one. The anemometer broke. 

Good point. Mine broke years ago and I've been dragging my feet on a replacement...although I've read/heard about a few better replacements in this sub over the last 1-2 years, so there's that.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic