Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Discobs 2023

George BM

40 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

35mph gusts for 12 consecutive hours

this is close but that one about 5-7 years ago in early March was incredible. With DCA gusting 40+ for 28 consecutive hours and IAD for 36 hours consecutive

A huge debris pile in Laurel caught fire and with wind was out of control and I think 95 south was closed for couple hours

we don’t do Winter so good but we do Wind. 

Indeed. And you remember well the wind event of March 2018...the one thing I recall is that's the event that felled for good the "original" Potomac Mills mall sign on I-95. Also, I snapped these pics of two unfortunate homes in my neighborhood that did NOT well weather that particular event. Hard to believe that this happened five years ago!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tbpHvnNHWKQsAuBS9

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

This post is somehow more confusing to me than Chuck's posts.

LOL. Well, as I recall, you're slightly younger than a lot of us checking in here, but....you'll soon be building out the "infrastructure" of your own apartment/condo/home soon enough, and all of the good info and details that @Stormflyshared in his post will make sense soon enough.  ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 87storms said:

I'm starting to miss the SER...though I want to tread carefully because in July that can turn into mid-90s with subtropical humidity, which might still be more comfortable (or at least more conducive to outdoor activities) than 30s, dry, and windy lol.

I’m tracking the return of the SER.  F this NAO.

• Like 2

I’m tracking the return of the SER.  F this NAO.

I’ve got one eye out for the warm weather and one eye out for a Hail Mary, but I know one thing…2-3 consecutive days of chilly wind as part of the deal in getting periodic non-accumulating snow showers is challenging lol.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 87storms said:

Getting some vibes that the wind is finally starting to relax a bit. We do moderate wind pretty well at times, but that was an extended gradient.

Yeah, it was impressive to wake up yesterday to the same type of winds that we went to bed with on Tue evening...and they ramped up nearly to Tue's level of torque yesterday. Quite a stretch!

Currently 27 here, with zero wind...thank God.  :) 

18 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Indeed. And you remember well the wind event of March 2018...the one thing I recall is that's the event that felled for good the "original" Potomac Mills mall sign on I-95. Also, I snapped these pics of two unfortunate homes in my neighborhood that did NOT well weather that particular event. Hard to believe that this happened five years ago!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tbpHvnNHWKQsAuBS9

The 2018 wind event had more power outages in Maryland than Hurricane Sandy. It's the 2nd largest non hurricane power outage event in record keeping in MD. The 2012 Derecho is #1.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The 2018 wind event had more power outages in Maryland than Hurricane Sandy. It's the 2nd largest non hurricane power outage event in record keeping in MD. The 2012 Derecho is #1.

Ah yes, schools ended up closing for the 2018 wind event. We all kind of laughed at that happening at first

41 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I consider the March 2018 wind as one of the top weather events of the past decade locally.

Same. The last real areawide anomalous event... well IMO at least.

Unrelated... did you notice the 61F temp/dewpt depression at 12:40pm at IAD?

60/-1 w/ relative humidity at 8%! :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mappy said:

Ah yes, schools ended up closing for the 2018 wind event. We all kind of laughed at that happening at first

Right but when the trees start coming down it gets real.  A person or car is no match for 30,000 pounds of hardwood!

On route 1 bypass north of Belair we witnessed a 10-50 (crash) where a large tree fell across the highway and a vehicle ran into it.  All airbags deployed.  If they were driving 5 mph faster they would have been instantly killed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I consider the March 2018 wind as one of the top weather events of the past decade locally.

yeah that was a wild one.  We lived on the top floor of a downtown apt building, and man you could hear it once the wind really picked up.  The next day they closed the pedestrian bridge connecting the Tysons Corner silver line station and the plaza by the mall and office buildings.

• Like 1

From Mount Holly morning AFD-

FIRE WEATHER... A dry cold front has passed through overnight. Humidity only recovered to around 40 to 50 percent overnight, and is already decreasing early this morning from the Delaware River northwestward. Colder and drier air will spread into the region today, with high temperatures in the upper 30s to mid 40s, and surface dew points dropping well into the single digits. West- northwest winds will be sustained 15 to 20 mph with 25 to 30 mph gusts much of today. Min RH values this afternoon will range from 20 to 25 percent. Additionally, 10-hour fuel moisture at most area RAWS were in the 7 to 9 percent range Saturday evening, with little recovery overnight, and may tend slightly drier this afternoon. After coordination with fire weather partners on Saturday, a Red Flag Warning has been issued for our New Jersey zones, while a Special Weather Statement is in effect for our Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware zones for Sunday.

On 3/16/2023 at 2:24 PM, Stormfly said:

Right but when the trees start coming down it gets real.  A person or car is no match for 30,000 pounds of hardwood!

On route 1 bypass north of Belair we witnessed a 10-50 (crash) where a large tree fell across the highway and a vehicle ran into it.  All airbags deployed.  If they were driving 5 mph faster they would have been instantly killed.

Unfortunately a couple months ago a man was killed driving over the Catoctins on rt 77 close to Cunningham falls state part. A tree fell directly on his car. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

BWI up to 39 last hour. If they could somehow stay there, it would be the first sub-40 day since early February and would only be the 5th time since Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately, they should crack 40 this hour.

What a craptastic winter.

We only got below 25 degrees a dozen times this winter. We truly were riding the suck train even in the NW suburbs.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic