Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Discobs 2023

George BM

0289a76a3affab51262391131b70f29b.jpg

Reports from the general area I’m in (Pittsfield) 18” was the official report 2-3 hours ago. Now at 19.5.

As expected, the elevations east of here are reporting 24-30”+. My good friend (technically my ex ) lives at 1800ft in S Vermont and is approaching 40”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WesternFringe said:

35 degrees and flurries intermittent all day here NW of Staunton.

Just barely broke freezing here, 32.5 for a high with flurries whipping by in the breeze all day. Never any accumulation today, but did pick up a penny (0.1) with 7 am observation this morning. Winds have been gusty all day, 30-35 mph, did have a 39 mph gust right at 2 pm. Currently 30.1/19.0.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I'm thinking of building a windmill to generate some juice.  Should make a ton of money.

35F and still windy and petty

Yeah, it's brutal out there. Took the dog for the usual couple-block circuit walk and froze my arse off. Even the dog ran the last block home with these damn winds. Of course, I stupidly went out in shorts, not realizing that the temp had tumbled into the mid 30s since sundown.  :( 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Most solar power today since September 9th #sunangle

Nice!

My 15kW system hasn't been right since Sunrun sent out this guy that was high as a kite to replace cell modems in the inverters while the power was ON and got arc flashed!

Heads up, the audio contains frequent colorful metaphors, NSFW. ;)

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Stormfly said:

Nice!

My 15kW system hasn't been right since Sunrun sent out this guy that was high as a kite to replace cell modems in the inverters while the power was ON and got arc flashed!

Heads up, the audio contains frequent colorful metaphors, NSFW. ;)

Curious -- what is your security cam system of choice? I've got several "flavors" of cam systems currently in place and want to consolidate...and I like the quality of your feeds.

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Curious -- what is your security cam system of choice? I've got several "flavors" of cam systems currently in place and want to consolidate...and I like the quality of your feeds.

UniFi.  That video is from a 5 year old G3 bullet cam.
I started out with UniFi video server using my own hardware (Dell dual Xeon box running Ubuntu server 12 at the time).  Loved the "roll your own" ability as one could start with a simple pc running linux or Windows and scale up to whatever they needed, etc.  Then Protect came out, loved its interface and ability to scrub through a time line in real time on mobile.  But Protect wasn't BYO and required Ubiquiti hardware either a Cloud Key+ gen 2 or their dream machine pro device which had limited hardware.  Later they released a multi drive NVR which is what I currently run.  Cameras are expensive compared to others but require no NVR license fees or subscriptions.  And of course the recordings are on premise. I run all home runs back to the rack in the basement with direct burial rated CAT6A 23awg pure copper conductor shielded ethernet.  Some call it overkill but being that I've had lightning peel the bark off a southern pine less than 20 feet from my shop building and the cameras never even missed a frame says something!

I do like the smart capabilities of the G4 line and upcoming G5 line too.  The Ai bullet can record license plates if that capability is needed.  Recently on G4 and up they've added smoke/CO alerts so if the mic picks up the telltale sound of a smoke or CO alarm it can send a push notification which is nice as the fire alarm in my shop is local only and sometimes when I charge flooded tractor batteries and a cell or two goes crazy and sets the alarm off I get it on my phone which is nice.

My PTZ is an Amcrest 4MP 12X optical 25X hybrid zoom.  I have it set up to record to folder on my QNAP 8 bay NAS with a 7 day rollover.  I use it mainly to watch weather systems roll in, check for hotspots at our bonfire and pits and it has caught Amazon drivers cutting through the grass countless times too!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

UniFi.  That video is from a 5 year old G3 bullet cam.
I started out with UniFi video server using my own hardware (Dell dual Xeon box running Ubuntu server 12 at the time).  Loved the "roll your own" ability as one could start with a simple pc running linux or Windows and scale up to whatever they needed, etc.  Then Protect came out, loved its interface and ability to scrub through a time line in real time on mobile.  But Protect wasn't BYO and required Ubiquiti hardware either a Cloud Key+ gen 2 or their dream machine pro device which had limited hardware.  Later they released a multi drive NVR which is what I currently run.  Cameras are expensive compared to others but require no NVR license fees or subscriptions.  And of course the recordings are on premise. I run all home runs back to the rack in the basement with direct burial rated CAT6A 23awg pure copper conductor shielded ethernet.  Some call it overkill but being that I've had lightning peel the bark off a southern pine less than 20 feet from my shop building and the cameras never even missed a frame says something!

I do like the smart capabilities of the G4 line and upcoming G5 line too.  The Ai bullet can record license plates if that capability is needed.  Recently on G4 and up they've added smoke/CO alerts so if the mic picks up the telltale sound of a smoke or CO alarm it can send a push notification which is nice as the fire alarm in my shop is local only and sometimes when I charge flooded tractor batteries and a cell or two goes crazy and sets the alarm off I get it on my phone which is nice.

My PTZ is an Amcrest 4MP 12X optical 25X hybrid zoom.  I have it set up to record to folder on my QNAP 8 bay NAS with a 7 day rollover.  I use it mainly to watch weather systems roll in, check for hotspots at our bonfire and pits and it has caught Amazon drivers cutting through the grass countless times too!

This post is somehow more confusing to me than Chuck's posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

This weather sucks 

I'm starting to miss the SER...though I want to tread carefully because in July that can turn into mid-90s with subtropical humidity, which might still be more comfortable (or at least more conducive to outdoor activities) than 30s, dry, and windy lol.

35mph gusts for 12 consecutive hours

this is close but that one about 5-7 years ago in early  March was incredible. With DCA gusting 40+ for 28 consecutive hours and IAD for 36 hours consecutive

A huge debris pile in Laurel caugh fire and with wind was out of control and I think 95 south was closed for couple hours

we don’t do Winter so good but we do Wind. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

35mph gusts for 12 consecutive hours

this is close but that one about 5-7 years ago in early  March was incredible. With DCA gusting 40+ for 28 consecutive hours and IAD for 36 hours consecutive

A huge debris pile in Laurel caugh fire and with wind was out of control and I think 95 south was closed for couple hours

we don’t do Winter so good but we do Wind. 

Sounds like March 02, 2018.  High wind warning verified for sure!  We had frequent gusts over 60 here and a ton of tree damage and power outages with wires down all over the place.  Messiest for utility workers since Irene in 2011.

This event is more of a breezy event for us.  Too bad it isn't snowing!

With humidity under 30% things are getting dry that's for sure.  Wouldn't advise anyone doing outside burning just on wind alone.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic