Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 3-4 Potential Winter Storm

Hoosier

7 hours ago, Stebo said:

4.3" here at home, idk if any compacted, I'll assume so but that is what was down when I got home. Getting kinda windy too.

Not sure if you got any rain/sleet, but it absolutely compacted here after pouring rain/sleet. 3.5 wet snow + rain/sleet + 2.0 wet snow = depth 4.2 of absolute concrete. 

DTW finished with 6.2", liquid total 1.11". Morning depth 5". With 6.2" at DTW, they have leap frogged me on season total, sitting at 27.4". My 5.5" puts me at 27.1". Love this lol:

WEATHER CONDITIONS                                                    
THE FOLLOWING WEATHER WAS RECORDED YESTERDAY.                         
  THUNDERSTORM                                                        
  LIGHT RAIN                                                          
  HEAVY SNOW                                                          
  SNOW                                                                
  LIGHT SNOW                                                          
  FOG                                                                 
  FOG W/VISIBILITY <= 1/4 MILE                                        
  HAZE                                                                
  BLOWING SNOW        

• Like 3

Some of the most insane sustained winds I’ve seen around these parts in quite sometime. CMI recorded a 70mph wind gust, with multiple trees uprooted, power outages, tree damage. 

while the snow didn’t really stick, the conditions were just legit for quite awhile. Such a dynamic system. 

• Like 5

Kind of an interesting image here.  If you look closely you can see sort of a U-shaped boundary between heavier snowpack and lower snowpack.  I remember seeing a feature move south on radar yesterday, almost looked like an outflow boundary moving south against the northward moving precip at the time.  It was the transition from rain to snow, where sort of a cold pool had made it down and had changed the precip over to all snow at the surface.  Looks like it made it down to about where those arrows are.  

fjfjfh.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AWMT30 said:

Gotta give it up to the GFS here locally... Although we did not get the numbers it was showing and its's slight bump north there overall it held steady on the storm while the other models had it south for a time. 

For the sake of power outages I was kinda happy when it changed over for a bit I think it helped the metro. The trees were weighed down more then the ice storm

• Like 1

I would of thought the CMC and possibly the Ukie did the best from longer range with this system.

The CMC was not good, right for the wrong reasons in the Chicago metro. It was too weak and too far south with the surface low, and didn't capture the dynamic cooling that occurred to support the accums of 2-5" of paste in the southeast 1/3 of the CWA. It only gets credit for having the farther south precip swath.

GFS operational did fairly well and then once the ECMWF adjusted, it did pretty well, not a great performance overall though because it was too far north until pretty late in the game. We only have the UKMET via Pivotal Wx, but it did perform pretty well at a longer lead time.

NAMs performed the worst of the models we commonly utilize. HRRR and other CAMs did well with capturing the high winds in Central IL and IN.

This event was also a good case for the algorithm snow maps to be banned. Forecast positive snow depth change was the best option for snow amounts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Ratios were an issue (as feared) more than qpf for the immediate south burbs. It was like when you pour water in sand to make a sand castle. 

received_5495354243904571.jpeg

I think this winter will be known for the destructive nature of the winter storms we have gotten

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

For the sake of power outages I was kinda happy when it changed over for a bit I think it helped the metro. The trees were weighed down more then the ice storm

My neighbors car canopy collapsed last night.  We were surprised as it was relatively new. 

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

The CMC was not good, right for the wrong reasons in the Chicago metro. It was too weak and too far south with the surface low, and didn't capture the dynamic cooling that occurred to support the accums of 2-5" of paste in the southeast 1/3 of the CWA. It only gets credit for having the farther south precip swath.

GFS operational did fairly well and then once the ECMWF adjusted, it did pretty well, not a great performance overall though because it was too far north until pretty late in the game. We only have the UKMET via Pivotal Wx, but it did perform pretty well at a longer lead time.

NAMs performed the worst of the models we commonly utilize. HRRR and other CAMs did well with capturing the high winds in Central IL and IN.

This event was also a good case for the algorithm snow maps to be banned. Forecast positive snow depth change was the best option for snow amounts.

Was looking at the HRRR positive depth change, it did pretty well yesterday morning with the max swath (and maybe was just a tad too low on some on the fringes in eastern IL?). I thought the rates/QPF could support12”+ lollis where the band would pivot between N IN/SE MI/S ON (figured when rates were really heavy ratios would come up enough to allow for that kind of accumulation) but it seems like about 11” of concrete was the most anyone could muster. 

19CAB7FE-423A-499D-A3CA-CA36D5684FEE.png.fc8c944b43fe07f2607080945cfdcc3b.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmc76 said:

West and NW burbs of Detroit 8-11" 

In a fairly short period of time too. 5-midnight. Often it takes 12+ hours to get 6-12. Another thing is the clearing after a snowstorm. We can go weeks without seeing the sun, but its amazing how often there's clear skies the next morning after a storm.

54 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

In a fairly short period of time too. 5-midnight. Often it takes 12+ hours to get 6-12. Another thing is the clearing after a snowstorm. We can go weeks without seeing the sun, but its amazing how often there's clear skies the next morning after a storm.

I know right I seen the moon and starts by about 2am last night

59 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Almost a given we get a nice sunny day after a S stream SW hits and departs. Awesome storm, fun to see cars stuck on snowy roads in the metro. Thanks to snow actually accumulating on the pavement this time, plow banks and piles are legit. Only minor negative is I'm still one of these stats:

image.thumb.png.43b55159488d0de591585710ba7693e1.png