Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-4 Potential Winter Storm

Hoosier

11 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Still in the dark. DTE site did not have good news. They have yet to assess the cause and planned recovery time. Peeked outside and saw a blue green flash. Transformer? Idk, but phone batt is not going to last too long.

Bummer. Luckily ive never lost power during a snowstorm, only when squirrels bite through the wires and cause themselves and the transformer to blow behind my house. Do you have an anker portable battery? That baby has saved me so many times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

This is our 3rd potent Winter storm since January 25th. And to be honest, while snow fell short, the Arctic blizzard conditions were something to see December 22nd as well. I was  recently telling a wx friend from ny about the winter of 2001-02 and how as warm as it was there were a couple real good winter storms. It seems that the real mild Winters heighten our chance for some potent storms. That said, I'll still always take a cold/snowcover winter first.

01-02 was a horrible winter and IMO much worse than this one.   The 80s and 90s had some dreadful ones too.  This winter (while lousy for cold) is definitely not in my bottom 5.

22 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Still in the dark. DTE site did not have good news. They have yet to assess the cause and planned recovery time. Peeked outside and saw a blue green flash. Transformer? Idk, but phone batt is not going to last too long.

My mom was without power for over 80 hours after the Ice Storm y'all got. Hopefully, it doesn't last nearly that long for you.

The power infrastructure there is just so old, and then on top of that much of it is above ground. So it's very suspectible to failures/outages with even a hint of inclement weather.

13 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Roads look like a joy 

Screenshot_20230303_212938_Maps.thumb.jpg.88a5803056695b52aafabe49fe3737dd.jpg

My parents were on a flight to rsw around 5 when the snow began. They waited in line to de-ice for over an hour. They were just about to take off then they closed the runways. Airport closed, flights diverted, all hotels booked. Dad said he found a pretty comfy spot on a baggage claim ramp to sleep. Moral of story, nobody wants to work still and dtw can't find workers to de-ice.

• Weenie 4

Just now, Stevo6899 said:

My parents were on a flight to rsw around 5 when the snow began. They waited in line to de-ice for over an hour. They were just about to take off then they closed the runways. Airport closed, flights diverted, all hotels booked. Dad said he found a pretty comfy spot on a baggage claim ramp to sleep. Moral of story, nobody wants to work still and dtw can't find workers to de-ice.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr the runways couldn't be cleared enough to have a safe standard to fly. It absolutely has nothing to do with deicing. I know because I am in the same office as the ramp controllers for the Evans Terminal, and you are a kook at home who doesn't know what he is talking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr the runways couldn't be cleared enough to have a safe standard to fly. It absolutely has nothing to do with deicing. I know because I am in the same office as the ramp controllers for the Evans Terminal, and you are a kook at home who doesn't know what he is talking about.

At the time of the deicing, it wasnt sticking. I fly for work almost every week. There's usually 4-5 de-icers going. Dad said there were 2 and planes were lined up. Had their been more workers, planes wouldn't of sat for 2 hours waiting while the runways became hazardous. Easy with the name calling over the internet there tough guy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Just now, Stevo6899 said:

At the time of the deicing, it wasnt sticking. I fly for work almost every week. There's usually 4-5 de-icers going. Dad said there were 2 and planes were lined up. Had their been more workers, planes wouldn't of sat for 2 hours waiting while the runways became hazardous. Easy with the name calling over the internet there tough guy.

You are still wrong, I literally can see the deicing pad out my window, they had several de-icers out there on the planes. They couldn't take off due to runway conditions and only runway conditions.

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

You are still wrong, I literally can see the deicing pad out my window, they had several de-icers out there on the planes. They couldn't take off due to runway conditions and only runway conditions.

You're missing my point. Yes the runway conditions were the reason for the cancellations but if the airport had their shit together, more planes could've gotten out before it got so bad. It shouldn't take 1.5-2 hours after leaving gate-deice-runway.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

You're missing my point. Yes the runway conditions were the reason for the cancellations but if the airport had their shit together, more planes could've gotten out before it got so bad. It shouldn't take 1.5-2 hours after leaving gate-deice-runway.

It didn't take that long either, but by the time these planes got ready to leave the runways were too fucked. It didn't take 1.5-2 hours at all. We rapidly deteriorated from 4-5PM the planes before that got out just fine.

I chased the death band of snow to somewhere between Pontiac and Kankakee and it was INSANE!! It was scarier than most tornado chases I've been on since it was very difficult to keep my vehicle on the road. 2"+/hr rates and screaming winds with multiple rumbles of thunder. It was great.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, MikeGold said:

Ann Arbor just activated emergency broadcast system that pings cell phones telling everyone to get off the roads.

7" as of 1030. Thinking an inch or so more at best so totals will be a little lower than expected especially since it was all snow locally which accumulated immediately. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

Man the radar dried up like a Stephen Wright stand up routine.  It didn't just move out, it vanished.  Pretty crazy.

Very common for the great lakes region. The moisture supply gets choked off when the storm starts to transfer energy to the coast.