• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Currently monitoring guidance for March late 3rd through the 4th for the next ( beyond the 28th) significant event

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

I’m trying to understand the role of mid-level lows because what got us are 16 inches in mid January were the track of the mid-level lows in the resulting deformation. Is this about the mid-level lows not being closed off because the main short wave is deamplifying? Sorry I know so little.

They do close, but late in the game. 

A "classic" event you have the WAA band move through and then the mid levels close somewhere around MTP and continue northeast and the storm does a bit of a pause and pivot with the CCB.

This storm is moving almost due east, so we don't really get a pivot because the WAA doesn't keep moving through but like Will said it does allow eastern New England more time to get the CCB involved. But because the mid levels are always moving away from the coast, any delay in deepening and the CCB is toast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They do close, but late in the game. 

A "classic" event you have the WAA band move through and then the mid levels close somewhere around MTP and continue northeast and the storm does a bit of a pause and pivot with the CCB.

This storm is moving almost due east, so we don't really get a pivot because the WAA doesn't keep moving through but like Will said it does allow eastern New England more time to get the CCB involved. But because the mid levels are always moving away from the coast, any delay in deepening and the CCB is toast.

Thank you! We had a beautiful pivot in the January storm. I watched on the radar and I could see what was happening, and during the pivot we had snowfall rates of like 2 inch an hour.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’d be shocked of BOS got 11+

Yeah, Boston usually gets screwed with the East wind. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get like 2-3 and 10 miles NW ends up with 8 or something. Still a lot of uncertainty though, if the NAM is right Boston gets nothing. 

GFS did nudge a hair north with the ULL out in the Ohio valley. Then it went probably even more gangbusters over E MA later in the game than 12z did. But again, pretty minor trends....one of these models is gonna make a larger move at some point.

Onto 00z. (well, Euro at 18z I guess....then 00z)

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Stayed fogged in and cloudy until 2:00 today with a brief high of 40.. so actually kept some pack . Longest of the winter now at 3 days . Hopefully can get at least a week if can get a couple tomorrow night and Saturday. Sad.. but better than the first 3 months I suppose.

bAhpShY.jpg

Who stepped on your snow????

• Haha 2

Some tv mets have upped boston to 2-4 but most are still playing conservative and following nws as of now. 

I do see some issues with accumulations on the coastal roadways. That east wind I don't think will be denied and the airmass still basically sucks so on pavement more than 2" might be tough inside of about 5-7 miles of the coast.

These days I'm just as excited for the snow to fall as I am for the purposeful workout of shoveling my and my neighbor's sidewalks and driveways. Pushing up from the ground repeatedly? Running after nothing but yoir own previous best runs after nothing? Good to have non-hampster-wheel reasons to exercise