• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Currently monitoring guidance for March late 3rd through the 4th for the next ( beyond the 28th) significant event

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Can't say enough to beware the 10:1 stuff near the coast. Stormvista especially has awful clown maps.

I'd prob go 6 or 7 to 1 right on the coast, unless this rips, then it will be closer to 10 to 1.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I've been thinking 8-12 with lollies to 15, which is a little less than these qpf maps would imply, assuming we have at least one period of higher ratio snow during the storm.

Saw noon news snow maps on 2 channels.  Both had 8-12 as tops and for much the same area.  However, one had my area centered in the 3-5 color while the other had us in the middle of 5-9.  GFS vs. Euro?

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Can't say enough to beware the 10:1 stuff near the coast. Stormvista especially has awful clown maps.

Also... Ground and road surface temps continue to run warmer than normal for the winter and this has played a significant role with the impacts, or lack there of, in terms of significant or long lasting disruptive travel conditions across many areas.  The roads during this past sne snow event gobbled up the snow with one pass of the plows & one treatment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya Rockport isn’t getting 10:1 lol

I lived there in the mid 1980s when the dinosaurs roamed...  brutal.   Although, there wasn't much of winter anywhere in 84-85 - that I know of...  But we did have a couple standard Nor'easters that winter and the geek-out over the surf and power of the ocean is actually well worth the admission - you just have to suspend any interesting is snow. We did get one one storm that season though that had 4-6" to go with folding walls of wave power, but it was at the aft end of January after a brutal cold snap - I remember the arctic sea smoke at dawn one morning, with the sun rising behind, back-lighting translucent steam dogs as they roamed back and forth like they were on patrol.  

It's not a snow climate you appreciate out there.  You leave all expectations behind when passing the Fishery factories from the mainland side of the Penn

3 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Also... Ground and road surface temps continue to run warmer than normal for the winter and this has played a significant role with the impacts, or lack there of, in terms of significant or long lasting disruptive travel conditions across many areas.  The roads during this past sne snow event gobbled up the snow with one pass of the plows & one treatment.

Yes, yes they did. (Thankfully)

6 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Great post. One thing I noticed since moving in with my girlfriend is they SUCKKKKKKKKKKK with her roads. They didn't come by to plow the road Tuesday until like 1:30 PM. In the few storms since I've been there (well all last winter really) the road would be **** for days. Our snow guy came at 7:30 and I happened to look outside and the road was PERFECTLY clear. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FXWX said:

This is mainly due to time of year and Morch sun angle . Reason # 10 why snow this time of year is stat padding and Dec snow is 100x better 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 2

27 minutes ago, FXWX said:

? Roads were a disaster here until like 8 am when solar helped. 

• Like 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What changes wound enhance the CCB , earlier development of 850 /closing off?

Yeah we want to turn that flow from out of the SE/SSE to more easterly as quick as possible....that gets the CCB cranking...you are essentially wrapping the WCB precip up and around the north side of the storm which what becomes the CCB in the classical diagrams. If the flow never really turns east until later, then we get the WCB rip through (our front end thump) and then a dryslot while the CCB goods hit further north or offshore if it takes too long even for NNE.

The one aspect that helps in this storm is that it hits a brick wall and starts going due east...so that "Allows" the CCB to form fairly late and still possibly get us because the storm stops gaining latitude near us. But yeah, the faster the turning of the mid-level winds out of the east, the better.

See a quick example below....look at how the GFS is starting to turn things pretty hard out of the east by 09z Saturday morning....

image.png.b10c21cbe273be9f4c83c4916f97cb85.png

Now 6 hours later at 15z, it's full-on CCB look...and we get away with that relatively late development because it's going nearly due east

image.png.aed75e777da0dd01d77bf9f9cdec6acb.png

Now look at the NAM at the same exact times and look at how much worse it is for SNE

image.png.43aff4c545428063453990cc4fbc3adc.png

image.png.60a11c39668ac56822f12f2b60b1e36b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

I've been thinking 8-12 with lollies to 15, which is a little less than these qpf maps would imply, assuming we have at least one period of higher ratio snow during the storm.

take a look at the qpf maps that @powderfreak posted. both Euro and GFS have you solidly in the 1.25" range. that's nothing to shake a stick at

34 minutes ago, FXWX said:

won't be an issue up here. snowpack is in good shape, todays rain aside. and the snow had no problem quickly accumulating during a quick busrst of snow this AM. yeah later Saturday once storm winds down roads should be in good shape. talking my area specifically

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Ginx, what do you think for your area?  My sister is wondering.  I'm thinking just a couple of inches of snow if any.  Some sleet and rain  

Yea sounds right but every run has been colder and thumps more so guess we await tomorrow 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

won't be an issue up here. snowpack is in good shape, todays rain aside. and the snow had no problem quickly accumulating during a quick busrst of snow this AM. yeah later Saturday once storm winds down roads should be in good shape. talking my area specifically

Yeah, this matters in terms of planning the day Saturday. If we get a 4-8'' thump late Friday through like 12-13z Saturday then dryslot/showery -SN the main roads should be alright by the afternoon with solar help. If we get into an afternoon CCB the snow should be heavy enough to re-stick and the whole day is probably shot. Still don't really buy it, though. 

• Like 2